September/October 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, by the way. I found your little Pony secret room. I hate ponies.

You know, I would say this map is nothing short of fantastic! If it wasn’t for one little detail… MORE PONY REFERENCES! Confound it!

You're ironic, aren't you ?
I didn't found the secret room...I guess it's time to find it.

About my votes, I am now busy, so I'll make my review of these levels later.

EDIT : I found the room. Actually, with Doom Builder. Some persons here found it too ? I mean, I don't know how to find it without DBuilder. I haven't the time to analyze all the walls in the level...

Pretty cool room anyway.

Last edited:
Okay, so all the division were small this time around. For now, I'm just concerned about the Match division, though, so here are my votes.

MATCH

Eggmatchsion Zone by KOTE - 7/10
Reason for the 7 is cause it's a bit big, and the music was, um... I dunno, weird. Could've gone with a nice cavern or temple type music instead of a halloween type. Otherwise, it's quite balanced for its size; had some trouble finding the emeralds, though.

Magma Temple Zone, by blahblahbal - N/A
MUST... THINK... OF... MORE... IDEAS...
Anyway, as it is, the level needs something more than what it has. I dunno what. Explanation for the floating translucent FOF over the rising/lowering platform: that's to match the rest of the level. As for the spawning in lava part, I have no idea why it does that. There are no match spawn points in the lava. I also had some trouble with the emerald spawns; the emeralds kept spawning in EXACTLY the same spots.

Other votes later, if I feel like it.

the music was, um... I dunno, weird. Could've gone with a nice cavern or temple type music instead of a halloween type.

Keep in mind this is Vanilla SRB2 we're talking about. It's not like there is a big selection of Haunted Mansion Songs. And why something not Halloween-ish? Not only was it a creepy map, it was also Halloween season when it was released!

*Gasp* Am I voting for the multiplayer maps this time? *And of course being trolled in a netgame by certain users is fun, then again that happens every now and then anyway, but enough of that... time to vote.*

Match

*Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 4/10*
Why are the sky heights uneven here? At some point in the map, I hit a yellow spring, get luanched in the air and... I somehow hit the "ceiling" without know the ceiling height for that area is lowered.

Also... spawning "in" lava is not fun, really, perhaps you accidentally placed a spawn in there or something, I don't know... you made the map, not me.

*Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10*

Decent size, although a bit too big for a short amount of people in the map, otherwise... it's alright.
-----
CTF
*Arctic Facility by Kuba11 - 7/10*
Hmm... what to say for this one, some paths were cramped, and also... there is a spot where you can get stuck and it will take time to get out and such. Otherwise... a decent map in my opinion.

*Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KO.T.E, and Simsmagic - 2/10*
Giving this a rating only because I manage to play it in a server without it crashing, although... the crash seems to happen if you speculate or something, not really sure about that.

Anyway... this map... seems broken in ways that I could say. In the center of the map is a black rock with has a Item Box on it, but... that black rock is actually a deathpit, so ether jump and hit the box or die by walking on it.

The Lava... which... has those Arid Canyon Zone rope/wheel textures on it, and is..., erm, odd looking and... what other stuff should I say... also a few missing textures and such.

I... don't know what to say about everything else... really.

*by Charybdizs - 4/10*
I... personally don't get this map at all... too dark to see anything, I got confused by it most of the time, and... well... you did say this...

"Blue Team is always right side up.
Red Team is always up side down.
The map is the same for both."

I don't about you... but with the whole map being too dark, I didn't know where to go most of the time as Sonic/Knuckles, although Tails users hopefully won't find any trouble... but... watch out for Rails, if there is any in the map.
-----
Race
*Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 7/10*
Well... this is a good race map, although somewhat annoying thanks to the Maces and whatnot, and the fences... which get in the way for Sonic users, but Tails & Knuckles can go over them without any issues, no... I'm not complaing about the fences being in the way, at least it's not THOK THOK THOK and stuff like that in a way or something.

*Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E - 5/10*

The blue grids looked troublesome at first, which for most users, will tend to avoid it, although it's harmless.

Noting the 1st shortcut for Tails/Knuckles users which is to the right before a set of yellow springs near a checkpoint, I don't think many will noticed it since they will mostly focus on whats in front of them, in this case... Rings and a set of springs.

*obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada - 0/10*
What is this... I don't even... know what to say about this...

----------

So... did I get all the maps this time? Also... I'm sure others could explain it better than me with the issues in the map and such.

Last edited:
Reviews. As usual, only single player.

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 3/10
honk

I think that sums it up pretty well, but for those of you who don't understand, here's a more conventional review:

I have no idea why you made this map. It displays no signs of creativity whatsoever. It's a very straightforward Mario level, reminiscent of SMB's 1-1 but with a different design. The positive impression I got from the somewhat detailed background scenery was countered by the utterly repulsive square tubes. Seriously, what the fuck were you thinking? It's not exactly hard to make round tubes. Whatever. The level barely managed to give me enough content for three playthroughs: In the first, I simply beat the level and tried to get a first impression. In the second, I busted every block and checked every tube for an underground path (to no avail). The very fact that I managed to do this in a single playthrough that lasted about a minute demonstrates the lack of depth in your stage. In the third, I tried to beat the stage as fast as I could. Without even trying much, I got 15 seconds. With a bit of practice, I probably could have gotten 10.

And that's it. That's all the entertainment I'll get out of your level. Subsequent playthroughs won't add anything to my impression because there's nothing of note in your level. Just a bunch of ? blocks, a few Goombas and some pipes. So what do I give this? I settled for a 3 which means "bad". While I wouldn't actually call the level bad, the entertainment I got out of it was definitely lacking. If I were to rate this solely according to substance, it would get a 1. If I were to rate this solely according to "objective" quality, it would get a 5 because there's nothing good and nothing bad about it (except those square pipes, but that's a visual quirk). Combine both and you get a 3.

How on earth did I write so much about a level that lasts 15 seconds?

Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E - 9/10
Since I was a beta tester for this, most of my complaints are already addressed in this version. Not like those complaints were numerous, because this is an awesome stage. The gimmicks are consistently awesome, from the BLUE ORB MACHINES (tm) and the orange "repulsion gel" (even though it's just a glorified bouncy mushroom, I still like its implementation) to the brutally fast (and all the better for it) timed door and the equally brutal rising red liquid section. I also liked the waterslide, because even though it might not feel particularly necessary to some, it still provided some welcome variation and/or diversion. The cannonball-like orb shooters were hilarious and fortunately did not take the center stage but still punished you for staying in one place for too long. Too bad that precisely the rooms that contained them didn't have any secrets to hunt for. That way, the blue orbs would have shined more by endangering curious players while still not being a nuisance for those who rush through. It would have made a cool thing even cooler, but oh well.

Speaking of secrets, I still thought there were too few of them. While we managed to ramp up the power-up count significantly more or less in last minute during testing, there are still tons of spots where I feel like my exploration should reap more rewards than it does. Don't be afraid to add even more items; it's okay to have a lot of them in a stage that threatens you with harm so often. The ones that are there are placed with care and logic behind them (I made sure of that lol). For example, the first half contains more shields while the latter half gravitates towards extra lives. Power-ups are always placed in areas where they have at least some usefulness. They were also frequently a blast to collect because it required some thinking to reach them, which is something I always like.

What might be the most puzzling thing about this level is that the numerous types of liquids were easily the least important or interesting part. Don't get me wrong, I like how the red liquid worked in tandem with the rising water gimmick. If you were too slow, you'd be punished by losing your rings and some of your sight but could still continue. A problem I frequently perceive with rising slime gimmicks is that it becomes frustrating or impossible to regain your footing once the liquid submerges you. That is not the case with the red liquid. In most other spots though, the liquids could have been replaced by almost any hazards and it wouldn't have made a difference. Especially in the room with the turret, the yellow liquid played more or less no role unless you deliberately fell into it. But I certainly don't have a problem when you de-emphasize your less interesting gimmicks and focus on the really good stuff.

Which was actually mostly the platforming. I used to have a beef with your maps and their lack of platforming, but things have been changing recently. This level in particular has a lot of it, and not only is it integrated into the architecture in admirable ways, it's also very diverse, which is something you don't see very often when it comes to something as "traditional" as platforming. For example, you used moving platforms and elevators in very clever ways (unlike, say, in Midnight Pass), made the platforms hazardous in their own ways (like that "barrel full of green slime" in one of the latter rooms or the hole in the platform in the second room) and frequently combined it with the more unorthodox gimmicks like the timed door, the bouncy gel or even the sealed-off spring tower that you have to walk around to find the entrance. My favorite pure platforming part though was in the second outside section where I had to cross these aqueducts, the first of which contained regular water and the second of which had red liquid. Brilliant!

And I haven't even mentioned the enemies yet. The goop-shooting mice enemies were an amazing idea, especially when used in tandem with the fast purple mice. It always brings a smile to my face when one of the green mice manages to catch me with its goop and some purple mice come scurrying to attack me. The green creeper enemy was also pretty good, although the placement of the first one right after an elevator was probably not the best idea. The only other problem I could find is what Fawfulfan already mentioned: Depending on which path you take, some things might not have been introduced before you start to do complex stuff with them. That's a pretty minor flaw though in my opinion, because none of the gimmicks get so complex that you desperately need the previous introduction to make sense of them.

So essentially, a great level with great gimmicks, great visuals, great enemies, astounding diversity and, surprisingly great platforming. The only thing that seriously lies between you and a 10 from me is the relative lack of secrets and the relative lack of replay value that comes with it.

Last edited:
Okay, I found a little time between what I had to do to score and give you my opinions!

... it's not paragraphs of 50 lines, I am far from an experienced commentator.

My comments are made as follows : Introduction (where is usually written my general opinion), then, the important points, negatives or positives (these points are not necessarily placed in order of level) and a short conclusion, which is similar to the introduction .

Single Player
Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic : 6 / 10
The first level of Super Mario Bros. from the NES, reworked in a SRB2 Version / New Generation. The graphics are very sweet for the eyes !
- This first level of Super Mario Bros. is very short, and it is his weak point ! As the level of new generation, it would be good to continue the game a little, for example, the second part in the underground, etc..
- The old NES level but in version 2.0. I'm sure if you would have created a 2D / 3D mix, it was just a marvel for the players, especially for Mario fans. The design has been reworked (waterfalls basically abd hills with cute eyes in the background), I have nothing to say about it, but a 3D phase would have been necessary.
- The end of level music seems a little low quality. It is in the same style as the music of Mario in SRB2, but the quality is quite low.

If this level would have been longer, it would be much better !

Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E : 10 / 10
Just -wow-. It's one of the best levels in the THZ still I saw. It is impossible to be bored at any point of the level !
- You have provided an enormous task for that level and I'm very proud ! The music, well chosen, also composed a large part of the level. The details and paths are numerous, which is very good !
- The ideas are new and extraordinary. There is an inspiration of Chemical Plant, no doubt about it, this former level of Sonic 2 has good gameplay, such as rising water levels ... I call them challenges. These are good challenges !
- Except for the Game Over screen, the new files added (sprites, enemies ...) are "subliminal", but in the positive sense. I mean, the player has seen that there are new things brought to SRB2, but the player forgets all these new features by taking a taste to these features ...
480px-Pinkie-pie-and-rarity-staring.jpg

Well. I simplify : You put just the right dose of features.
- MLP Culture : Game Over screen and the secret room ! Well, the room is very popular with fans, but the musical and graphical edition of the Game Over screen make me still a little scared.

"Egg Rock challenges in Techno Hill Theme" levels are very good. The level is full ! Except for a *slight* confusion I had in the rising water, everything is perfect. Keep up the good work !

CTF, Match and Race later...if I have the time.

Last edited:
Mario Land 1-1 2/10 Wow 2D Mario thokfest which can be completed in 12 seconds.
Chemical Facility Zone 9/10 Nice job! Lots of original enemies and jellies are good.

SINGLE PLAYER:

CHEMICAL FACILITY ZONE, ACT I - 7/10
Pretty good. Some interesting gimmicks, and custom badniks. However the Creeper bots felt useless. The blue orbs from Chemical Plant were cool, but unthreatening. Also, one of the paths at the end ends very boringly. Black fade out tunnel and suddenly End Sign. Some rooms could also use some new textures.

MARIO LAND 1-1 - 4/10
Pretty boring. While you did try to add detail in the BG, it could have used more.

RACE:

DREAD VALLEY ZONE - N/A
Boo

SPRING FACTORY ZONE - 5/10
Rather bright. At first I thought a lot of the floor lights were damaging, so I needlessly slowed down some to try avoiding them. Some turns were also very sudden, with the player falling into damaging lights without knowing. Also while you did a good job at trying to balance the characters, Knuckles feels slightly TOO strong.

obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada - 0/10
MY LITTLE PONY MY LITTLE PONY.
Unfortunately, this level is not as awesome as ponies (Or Rainbow Dash). If it was, it'd get a 10/10.

Argh! I'm here late again! Eh, who cares anyway?
Single Player
Mario Land 1-1, by Simsmagic - 8/10
Pretty nice level, feels like these old nostalgic Mario games that we all liked.

Chemical facility, by KO.T.E - 9/10
Good gimmicks, good music choose, that level was really awesome! But please, no more Creeper ambushes! I fear them in MC all day and every night...

Race
Dread Valley, by Blade - 7/10
Aside of Match and CTF, Race with SP is pretty much the only that I care enough to rate, since it doesn't require MP for max fun. On topic, I liked the details and effort you put in. Lucky me that I haven't hit any of those spike balls!

Spring Factory, by KO.T.E and ThunderNova - 7/10
I've been waiting for a while before you actually released it to OLDC. Pretty good map, but haven't experienced same stress with blue lights as Blade up here. =P

obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone, by RedEnchilada - 0/10
Seriously%3F.jpg

This time, it was very quick! How come...

Last edited:
Seeing as how nobody cares about this contest at all, I'll vote too. Didn't bother with SP this time. I'll write reviews later if I care enough.

Match
Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 3
Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 7

Capture the Flag
Arctic Facility by Kuba11 - 4
Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KOTE, and Simsmagic - 0
The Map With No Name by Charybdizs - 0

Race
Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 4
Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E and ThunderNova - 3
obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada - 0

Now you can see why almost nobody voted.

Last edited:
Race
Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 4
Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E and ThunderNova - 3

I think those low votes warrant a little explanation. Are you sure you're not just disappointed at the rest of the contest, and instinctively gloomy about these ones?

But anyways, my votes I kind of forgot about until now.

Single Player:

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic
1/10 - Horrendous

Nice. Just nice. This is honestly one of the funniest entries I have ever seen, and I get quite a kick out of it. I honestly have no clue how to rate it. I mean, it's not even your level! Yet... It is. One thing it did do, though, is remind me how horrible Mario is with SRB2 Physics. I guess I'll just give it a 4, because that seems like the default.

On second thought, what am I THINKING? It scores a one, definitely. It is short, has no replay value, and what is there isn't even cool. Or original. :p

Chemical Facility Zone
by KO.T.E
10/10 - Epic

I'm most definitely rating this a ten out of ten. But is that overreacting? Well let's see. Incredibly original and refreshing level design. Tons of never before seen gimmicks. Sweet custom enemies. Superb aesthetics. Epicness.
Yeah, I think that equals a 10/10. I've played this map about 5 times now, and I'm still not tired of it. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of Scootaloo, but I was prepared for that one. There's not much new since I last tested it, but what is there is really cool. I had never seen the goop working correctly before, as it always seemed to be bugged out, but it seems you got it working correctly for the contest. I must say it looks pretty sharp.
The only real thing I'm disappointed about is that you don't seem to have taken my advice about introducing the mice. ;~;

Match:

Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal
6/10 - Decent

You're most certainly getting better! Something about this map struck a chord of harmony with me. I think it was probably just the fact that you used the Volcano Theme in a fresh and original way, but looking around the map felt like I was exploring a place I'd see in a dream. The vertical variation in here was pretty spectacular too, and the spring chain was a nice touch. I'd kind of like to see that used in more Multiplayer maps. Still, though, this map suffers some sad flaws. I don't know what was with that start in the lava. I'm sure that wasn't intentional. It suffers from a LOT of flat space, too, especially in the upper area. Then too, there's the temple area, which was boring and didn't really fit. Keep trying though, you're definitely improving. I really do enjoy playing your maps~

Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E
9/10 - Awesome

For having tested this as much I did, it was a fresh and fun experience every time I played. The level has a very unique feel to it, and uses certainly an original match theme. I'm debating on whether I should call it too big or not, but I think I'll have to go with no. It was big alright, but it was easy to find people in, and there was always plenty of action, even with just three people. The passage through the paintings is one of my favorite spots. It's so incredibly fun to sit in there and ambush people when they come through. Strategic locations like that are lacking in most match maps. Make sure you put more things like that in your future maps!

Capture the Flag:

Arctic Facility by Kuba11
7/10 - Good

Congratulations on winning prettiest map of the contest award. If only it was as playable as it is pretty. The texture choices, though intricate and quite neat looking, are blinding in an actual game. But the worst problem with this map? The lack of Ramp Sectors. My pet peeve in maps are ledges that you catch on ALL OVER THE PLACE. Most of the ones in here were unexpected, too. Fix that, and perhaps lighten up on the colormap or textures, and this map would get about 20% cooler. I know how easy it is to go overboard on colormaps or lighting effects, though. I did it myself this contest, and didn't realize it till afterwards. Anyways, probably the most impressive thing about this map was the pipes and channels going every which way throughout it. There were some great secrets to find if you looked around, and some great strategic options. Those bubbles in the water tanks were one of the best decorative touches I've seen in a while.

Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KOTE, and Simsmagic
1/10
...I think you guys already know what is wrong with this. I did actually manage to get it working in a server once, despite the start problems. It's quite odd, huge, nonsensical, and generally a mishmash Picasso would be proud of.

_____________ by Charybdizs
X/10

This was a gimmick map. I made it solely because I had a neat idea and I wanted to put it into action, much like Stupid Circuit. It really pissed me off when people were dicks and played it for twenty seconds before declaring it "absolute bullshit". One of the complaints was "We shouldn't have to learn how to play your map!" Well, yes you should. Gimmick maps don't always come clearly at first glance. Stupid Circuit took a while for me. Sure, I don't mind if you don't feel like learning it or something, but don't rage about it. And it's certainly not my fault you couldn't learn it. Proof? After being raged at about it, I took it to the center of all stupidity in the SRB2 community. That is to say, the Master Server. Within minutes, silly newbs with stupid names like "SILVA SONIC 4952X" or "hyprhedgi3" had grasped it and were beating. me. at. my. own. map.

I'm not trying to say it is remotely 10/10 material, or even 5/10. It had it's flaws, but it most certainly had merit in it's own little way. I later played in netgame with people who actually cared to figure it out, and we had a fun time. Mission accomplished, I guess? If I ever release it again, I'm going to brighten it up, probably change the theme, and patch up some annoying gaps, especially in the bases.

As theme goes, though. This map was originally going to be a bit different, but I won't spoil what it was going to be, as I'll still use theme theme at some point. I changed it to a dark theme inspired by the end world in Minecraft (or at least what I know of it). Hence the darkness, and silence, and lack of any name. No, it's not called "The map with no name". It's called " ". I thought it was appropriate for an abstract spooky themed map like this. I definitely went overboard on the darkness, though. I find it quite entertaining how some people seem to love the visuals, and others hate them. In all seriousness, this wasn't supposed to be a Clockwork Grove when it comes to visuals. I was more inspired by abstract art and geometry than anything else. I think a lot of Escher when I look at the map as a whole.

Race:

Dread Valley Zone
by Blade
8/10

Nice job designing a race map that is almost balanced! If anyone had the advantage though, it was definitely Tails. So many open sections that good strafe flying can clear in half the time it would take thokking. There's a lot of good in this map, from the nice platforming, to the fences which conveniently slow down raging thokkers. I never tried playing as Sonic and jumping them, though. I don't know can one efficiently do that? It might save some time... Pretty much anything else I would have to say about this map I've already told you. Oh! I do want to mention the maces though. They're one of the most uncheap obstacles I've ever seen in a race map. I rarely got hit by them, as they're not a huge risk, but when I did, it was entirely my fault, and I could do nothing but facepalm whenever I tried to cut and ended up hitting one.

And I don't know why it is, but that Nightmare Moon symbol scares me.

Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E
6/10

I'd rate this map higher, if it weren't for the flaws that have already been discussed here. You know, floors that look dangerous, Knuckles having way too much of an advantage, stuff like that. Not that I particularly minded Knuckles advantage, as it allowed me to win most of the time, but it is still an unbalance. :p
I loved a lot of things about this map all the same, though. It had an original feel, with the unique shortcuts, the spring chains, and all that. The platforming was just challenging enough that it took work yet wasn't cheap. Keep up the good work, but make it better each time. XD

obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada
0/10

trololololol

Last edited:
I think those low votes warrant a little explanation. Are you sure you're not just disappointed at the rest of the contest, and instinctively gloomy about these ones?

Nope, just me at work.

_____________ by Charybdizs
X/10

This was a gimmick map. I made it solely because I had a neat idea and I wanted to put it into action, much like Stupid Circuit. It really pissed me off when people were dicks and played it for twenty seconds before declaring it "absolute bullshit". One of the complaints was "We shouldn't have to learn how to play your map!" Well, yes you should. Gimmick maps don't always come clearly at first glance. Stupid Circuit took a while for me. Sure, I don't mind if you don't feel like learning it or something, but don't rage about it. And it's certainly not my fault you couldn't learn it. Proof? After being raged at about it, I took it to the center of all stupidity in the SRB2 community. That is to say, the Master Server. Within minutes, silly newbs with stupid names like "SILVA SONIC 4952X" or "hyprhedgi3" had grasped it and were beating. me. at. my. own. map.

I'm one of those people who got your gimmick. It didn't help a damn thing, because the gimmick was poorly executed in multiple ways.

I'm not trying to say it is remotely 10/10 material, or even 5/10. It had it's flaws, but it most certainly had merit in it's own little way. I later played in netgame with people who actually cared to figure it out, and we had a fun time. Mission accomplished, I guess? If I ever release it again, I'm going to brighten it up, probably change the theme, and patch up some annoying gaps, especially in the bases.

No, I'm pretty sure that this wont get fixed very well due to the poor... everything. Poor visability, torturous platforming to exit bases, rails meaning instant death (which concerning how much of a mess this place is, is not like Nimbus Ruins) spending ages to score ONE flag for the team, sometimes being unable to reclaim your team's flag without being tails, these all add up to a maddening experience, and it just isn't fun in the slightest for anyone.

As theme goes, though. This map was originally going to be a bit different, but I won't spoil what it was going to be, as I'll still use theme theme at some point. I changed it to a dark theme inspired by the end world in Minecraft (or at least what I know of it). Hence the darkness, and silence, and lack of any name. No, it's not called "The map with no name". It's called " ". I thought it was appropriate for an abstract spooky themed map like this. I definitely went overboard on the darkness, though. I find it quite entertaining how some people seem to love the visuals, and others hate them. In all seriousness, this wasn't supposed to be a Clockwork Grove when it comes to visuals. I was more inspired by abstract art and geometry than anything else. I think a lot of Escher when I look at the map as a whole.

And you honestly thought such a low visibility and confusing map based off freaking ESCHER was a good idea? No wonder this map is so awful.

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic
1/10 - Mediocre
...Huh? Please clarify. Is this supposed to be a "4/10 - Mediocre" or a "1/10 - Horrendous"?

And regarding the whole discussion about the map with no name: I never actually played it in a netgame, but I believe the others when they call it unplayable. The most obvious problem I perceive with it is that due to the fact that the teams are on opposite sides of the same platforms but in opposite gravity, there are bound to be spots in the map where you can hide without the other team being able to shoot you. Besides, there's way too much platforming in the map. It takes a lot of attention and even skill to make it from base to base even without opponents. In a netgame with opponents, I can only imagine one of two things happening:

• Due to the fact that combat it more or less impossible (too many blind spots, it's not very easy to fight against somebody in opposite gravity while platforming), people will just mind their own business, hop from base to base and hope that their opponents fail at platforming. In that case, the game will be boring.
  • Even if I'm wrong and combat is indeed possible and viable, then it will probably be excruciatingly hard to make it from base to base. Remember: The path from your base to your opponents' base requires tons of platforming. The path back to your base doesn't. Therefore, trying to get to your opponents' base is a pain in the ass because you have to platform and combat your enemies who have it much easier. Likewise, if you steal the flag and try to bring it back, it's a cakewalk for you while your opponents have no chance of catching up and bringing it back. In this case, the game will be frustrating. Think Nimbus Ruins (already controversial) played on a steep downward slope and with even less safe ground.
In both cases, the game will be excruciatingly long. So yeah, the idea of your map might be admirable. But honestly, I can't see it working well in a netgame at all, so I see where the 0s are coming from. You're free to prove me wrong though.

EDIT:
and the spring chain was a nice touch. I'd kind of like to see that used in more Multiplayer maps.
I honestly don't see what's the use of spring chains in any map. What's the use of being needlessly bounced around on autopilot while your enemies have it easy to shoot you down?

Last edited:
Single Player:

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 2/10
booooooring

Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E - 7/10
meeeeeeh, I'm not liking this as much as I should

Match:

Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 3/10
some things about this level seem very familiar to me

Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 7/10
pretty great (and lol, reusing scrapped content)

Capture the Flag:

Arctic Facility by Kuba11 - 6/10
quite cramped, but very nice otherwise and hands down best visuals

Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KOTE, and Simsmagic - 0/10
herp

by Charybdizs - 4/10
great idea, bad execution

Race:

Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 6/10
the fences kind of blend in with the background way too much

Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E and ThunderNova - 6/10
I guess blue floors are very offending to people if they don't hurt

derp

Nope, just me at work.

Well then, the way you work is pretty stupid if you ask me. :p
I'd certainly want some explanation if I were Blade or KOTE. I mean, it's not like you're SuperChris or anything, so you probably have some actual reasoning. Right?

No, I'm pretty sure that this wont get fixed very well due to the poor... everything. Poor visability, torturous platforming to exit bases, rails meaning instant death (which concerning how much of a mess this place is, is not like Nimbus Ruins) spending ages to score ONE flag for the team, sometimes being unable to reclaim your team's flag without being tails,
Are you reading what I said? I just said I was going to FIX all those flaws! Obviously if I fix two or three of them them, it's a lot less "poor". Well, except for the rails being instadeath. That's an irrelevant point. Not only does it happen just the same in Nimbus Ruins, an official map, it's actually more of an issue there, as it's all wide open.

it just isn't fun in the slightest for anyone.
Charybdizs said:
I later played in netgame with people who actually cared to figure it out, and we had a fun time.

Emphasis on the "we". How do I know they had a fun time? Because they told me so.

And you honestly thought such a low visibility and confusing map based off freaking ESCHER was a good idea? No wonder this map is so awful.
And now it's going in circles, as you bring up points I've already answered in a satisfactory manner.

lol that's funny because escher patterns go in circles too

SpiritCrusher said:
...Huh? Please clarify. Is this supposed to be a "4/10 - Mediocre" or a "1/10 - Horrendous"?

Oh whoops! I forgot to edit that after I changed the number. I was originally going to rate it a four, in my... confusion after playing it, but then I came to my senses.

I honestly don't see what's the use of spring chains in any map. What's the use of being needlessly bounced around on autopilot while your enemies have it easy to shoot you down?
...How does that make you easy to shoot down? If anything, it makes a good (and exciting) escape route for hit and runs!

Last edited:
Charybdizs, not currently being able to check SRB2 right now, is your CTF map the very dark one with reverse gravity for one team?

Yeah, that's Charybdizs's map alright.
Well, I've said it and I'll say it again...The map would be much better if instead of one team being flipped FOREVER, the gravity should just reverse depending on which platforms your closer to (See ERZ1's conveyor belt section).

The thing is that's the gimmick of the map, Iceman. The teams being on different gravities. Forever.

== SINGLE PLAYER

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 2/10
Where's the beef?

Chemical Facility Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E - 9/10
Holy crap. This is prolly your best level ever. It's (almost) everything an SRB2 stage ought to be, and besides Dumbventure I don't think i've played a more complete-feeling contest entry. Only a few issues:

The route with the rising chemical room is the weakest chunk of the level. Said room is kind of unintuitive (almost no warning before the gunk rises, special stage damage doesn't kill you when you're out of rings), and all that's left after that is the race to the closing door before the routes merge. Kinda disappointing; perhaps there should be a third path (at the elemental shield at the start) to compensate?

Also, do something about that rotten anticlimax at the end - I thought I was in for a Final Egg-like moment at the end of the waterslide but nope. Beyond that, it's amazing and I want an Act 2.

== MATCH ==

Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 4/10
- Layout feels randomly cobbled together with little consistency to speak of, but it is at least entertaining to play
- ...when you aren't constantly running out of rings, since they're so spread out and tricky to collect
- Giant, difficult to climb stairs leading to a weapon panel and abrupt dead end. Don't do that shit please
- I don't know if it's interesting or cryptic that your most enjoyable maps are all lava stages...

Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10
- Lots of fun. I wondered if the fake paintings would be too campable but those seem to work alright, and lead to some funny shenanigans
- The outdoors area feels like a bit of an afterthought. I didn't find myself remembering to go out there much
- The map overall is just a little bit oversized
- Give this thing Luigi's Mansion music plz

== CTF ==

Arctic Facility Zone by Kuba11 - 3/10
- Cannot see where i'm going in this place. This is how not to use textures. Everything looks like a convoluted mess when in reality it's just 90 degree turns and hidden passageways (that tend to send you in circles because there's no way to tell if they benefit you or not). The texturing all but completely kills the playability of this map.
- The flag chambers are interesting but unbelieveably campable

Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300/KO.T.E/Simsmagic - 4/10
- Good lord guys, if it's this unfinished and this close to unplayable, don't submit it. It's lacking player starts and the middle area has an instant kill sector conveniently disguised as a floor. But it is actually fun when it isn't crashing or doing something ridiculous to you
- The flag rooms are perhaps a little too hard to defend. It's not very obvious that the left route into the room is dangerous and useless, the room itself is cramped and tricky to shoot people in, and whoever takes the flag has a free shortcut out

The Map With No Name by Charybdizs - 0/10
- Excuses do not change the fact that in three tries I could not figure out where to go or what the hell was going on in a timely manner. For all practical purposes this is not playable.

== CIRCUIT ==
No comment on these for now, I think i'll just discuss the first two with their creators.

Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 7/10

Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E/ThunderNova - 6/10

- Kids, don't do drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back