September/October 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Welcome to the September/October 2011 SRB2 Official Level Design Contest voting topic! In this contest we have two single player, two match, three capture the flag, and three circuit entries.

To vote, play a few games of each stage in a division in the intended gametype for judging, and give each map in the division a vote from 0 to 10, no decimals and with 5 as average. You can not vote on your own map, but if you vote on the rest of the stages in a division the lowest score on your map for that division will be dropped. For votes to count, the voter must vote on every map in a division (excluding their own entry if they have one). Votes where the voter obviously did not play the level in its intended gametype, or where the voter did not play the multiplayer maps with other real players will be discarded. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else. For reference, the scale is as follows:

10 - Epic
9 - Awesome
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average
4 - Mediocre
3 - Bad
2 - Awful
1 - Horrendous
0 - Unplayable

Although it's not required for votes to count, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts. If your votes are dramatically different from the rest and you don't describe why, you may be asked to justify your reasoning.

Judging will end November 14, 2011 at 7 PM local time in the eastern time zone of the United States. Like the entry deadline, this counts the United States's daylight savings time between March and November. Votes submitted after this time by the forum timestamp will NOT be counted in the average, so if you want to be counted, don't vote at the last minute. After the deadline, the scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score in each division is the winner.

The entries are as follows:

Single Player:
Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic
Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E

Match:
Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal
Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E

Capture the Flag:
Arctic Facility by Kuba11
Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KOTE, and Simsmagic
The Map With No Name by Charybdizs

Race:
Dread Valley Zone by Blade
Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E and ThunderNova
obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada

Attachments

• scr_contest-sepoct11.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 1,443
  • mrtf_contest-sepoct11.zip
    873.6 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:
Alright, let's get this started. Good luck to all the other OLDC participants!

EDIT: oh good lord the ctf map i submitted is godawfully broken

Last edited:
...I am hearing bad things about this contest on IRC, let's just hope it is not as bad as I fear it is. Good luck everyone!

<@Mystic> Wow, this contest must be the revenge of the unplayable garbage

fcuk yaeh pnonise

Welp, time to lose my gold usertitle! I'm gonna try to vote around my terrible internet.

Hello i'm here to ask if its ok if me and my friend Teen Jr can enter one map into the CTF.

We been working on it all morning long. And its just got finish like 3 min ago.

So will it be ok if we post a last min level?

Single Player

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic: 5/10

A nice classic Mario level, although it was a tad bit slow, even for a Mario stage, and it didn't feel like it was designed for such fast characters and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The pipes also look a bit too flat and square. Also, Knuckles can't jump high enough to reach the blocks, so maybe you should place those a bit lower next time. I do like the detail and effort put into background and the castle at the end, though. The design of the entire map also fits Mario Mode well, most of the time at least. Overall, a good starter level for a Mario game or mod, but not completely compatible with Sonic and co.'s abilities.

Chemical Facility Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E: 7/10

It's pretty obvious that a lot of hard work was put into this level, and I applaud you for that. This place is oozing with effort. However, some of the rooms were a bit large and it was easy to get confused in some places. In one room, I was blocked by a closed hatch that I couldn't get past. I searched the room all over for a significant amount of time before finding out that the door was opened by a switch that was concealed in a corner on the other side of the room. I'd recommend putting the switch closer to the thing it activates next time. I was also confused by that room with the black abyss at the end of the waterslide section. Usually black abyss = death pit, so I was worried that I was going to die and tried to escape, only to find out that the "death pit" actually led me to the next section of the level. Also, the level is a bit long for only one act, unless it's near the end of the level pack (if it's part of one). The platforms are also very square, which is a minus for me because squares and rectangles get very boring very fast in terms of appearance. However, I did like the design and scripting of the enemies and the aesthetic detail put into the level. The texture use was also very innovative. I would have never thought of using Special Stage 4 textures for pipes. One more thing, though: It's rather hard to tell which chemicals hurt and which don't, so I would recommend making all the non-hurting ones one color to differentiate them from the others. (I believe the only hurting one is lime green, although I could be mistaken.) AND WHY DID YOU USE THAT MODERN CHEMICAL PLANT MUSIC I WAS PLANNING TO USE IT FOR THE RIFT RRRAAAGGGEEE etc. :P

Last edited:
Holy crud, this REALLY caught me off guard.

Here are the single player votes, as usual. :I

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic: 4/10

I would try to say what's bad and what's good about this map, but there just really isn't much to talk about. There's rarely any challenge at best, and it just feels like a basic Mario mode map, but that's it. There's nothing exciting happening or anything surprising going on in the map. It's as basic as it can possibly get.

Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E: 7/10

Visually, the level looks really nice. Gameplay wise, it's sorta meh.

While the Chemical Plant-inspired gimmicks work well, the rest of it is mostly platforming. It's definitely not a bad thing though, and the level was still fun to play. The room where you have to press the button to open the door and quickly get in before it closes is a bit frustrating as Sonic, since there are a lot of enemies in that room to completely mess you up if you get hit by them once.

Eh, I expected a lot more for this contest, but hopefully the multiplayer maps will be at least decent.

Last edited:
Only two Single Player OLDC levels. Excellent. Here are my votes.

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 10/10

Nice work at making a 2D Mario level. I especially like the background you put behind the 2D sector. Plus, that flag pole soundat the end brought me back to the days when I was playing Super Mario Bros. on my NES when I was a child. Bravo, Simsmagic, bravo.

Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10

Nice work you put into the design of the level and I also like those mouse-like enemies resembling the ones from Sonic & Knuckles' Flying Battery Zone Act 2. At first, I thought they were behaving like Crawlas, but when a mouse fired goop at me (a la Brak Eggman), it wasn't a normal enemy. I got a game over on this level and it kinda made me jump a little.

Multiplayer:

Most of the Multiplayer OLDC entries were very impressive. I liked some of them and I didn't like some of them. Here are my votes.

Match:

Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal - 7/10

Good work on the temple, but there are two areas that can only allow Sonic players to climb back up when they thok carelessly. Overall, this is fine work.

Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - 10/10

This is an very impressive attempt at making a mansion with a little library.

CTF:

Arctic Facility by Kuba11 - 2/10

This map is all too simple, as you have to jump on the platforms and run to the other side as fast as you can. Plus, getting back to the team bases is somewhat hard. The paths to them are cramped.
Note: Ice is the most overused theme. 'Nuff said.

Uninspired Name Zone by Scizor300, KOTE, and Simsmagic - 1/10

This map is too hard if you don't know where you're going. Plus, there are some lava blocks that don't have walls. You'll burn if you run straight into them, also, I found a lava waterfall with an ACZ texture clipped to it. Why is that?

The Map With No Name by Charybdizs - 0/10

This map is too dark and the gravity here is too confusing. Plus, when I touched the Red/Blue Team Flags, they flipped upside-down. Also, I couldn't hear any music because the MusicSlot was O_MAPFKM.

Race:

Dread Valley Zone by Blade - 10/10
Very impressive work on making a Halloween-themed level. I like this level very much and I even like the fences. But, I didn't get the point of the forest. Overall, this is a very good level.

Spring Factory Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10

It may be a factory, but there aren't that many springs. Anyways, nice handy work on making this level. I'll have more to say soon.

obnoioxies mym litltle pnony refenrence znone by RedEnchilada - 0/10

This is one of the worst OLDC maps ever entered. All you have to do is walk across these narrow lines with Star Posts, and none of the sectors with Star Posts don't have the activating sector surrounding them! Also, there's a green pillar in the middle where its too hard to avoid (It's pretty obvious because there's a turret on it). While Tails players have an easy time here, Sonic and Knuckles players will have to catwalk to the other Star Posts.

Last edited:
Talk about cruddy Singleplayer, eh?

Mario land 1-1 - 5/10
It's nice, yeah, it's a better port than most, sure. However, that's all it is, there's nothing here to really pique someone's interest, you didn't even add that warp pipe shortcut!

Chemical Facility - 6/10
The beginning corridors were cramped and hard to maneuver in, as was many other hallways on the inside path. The exit for the turret room should be a lot bigger so the player knows exactly what he needs that button for. I personally think that the Crawla commanders could be removed entirely, and you could tone down the Snailer/pop-up turret a bit. Other from that I have no other complaints

Singleplayer--

4/10 - Mario 1-1 by Simsmagic
The background was really nice-looking, but it lacked gameplay-wise. It was a generic Mario level.

8/10 - Chemical Facility by KO.T.E.
Beautifully designed. I really liked the look and feel of the map itself. The music also fit with the level. It was a little challenging in a couple places, but that's good sometimes. Some areas were confusing and I couldn't find my way around in them.

Map Reviews will be posted soon.
On a side note, maybe I should have entered my maps! :P Hopefully no one kills me for not entering...

Single Player:
Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic: 5/10
Detail was nice, and it played okay. But 2D mode isn't that great, and the level was boring really
Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E - N/A

Match:
Magma Temple Zone by blahblahbal: 5/10
Much better than your other levels, but there weren't enough rings really. and lava came from nowhere a lot.
Eggmatchsion Zone by KO.T.E - N/A

Other votes and comments to come later.

Whoa, only 10 total maps? O_O Should've finished that Match map I was working on.

Single Player:

Mario Land 1-1
, by Simsmagic - 4/10

Painfully generic Mario map in 2D. At least the map looks like a Mario level, but Mario levels really aren't built for the faster Sonic.

Chemical Facility Zone, by KO.T.E - 8/10

KO.T.E, you've done it again. I really love the fact that you used Chemical Plant-based gimmicks here and the music... Modern Chemical Plant right? A few of the rooms were a bit confusing but I managed to get through those. Oh, and in some places you have a few too many enemies IMO. Other than that the level is excellent.

Only 2 SP maps? At least it isn't a repeat of the Mar/Apr '11 OLDC...

Last edited:
Chemical Facility Zone by KO.T.E. - 7/10
Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh393TyzAOo
I wasn't expecting Generations music right off the bat, but I guess I should have. this level comes off as a late Zone and had a few aggravating spots. however, the game over modification surprised me. For those of you who haven't seen it, let's just say, "Oatmeal, are you crazy?"

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic - 6/10
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlaFEnyzNy0
A basic early level mario stage with custom ending sounds.

Last edited:
So when will we ever learn that zero-effort joke maps should be disqualified?

Oh, and I'm kinda baffled that Mario Land 1-1 gets such high scores for essentially being 15 seconds of nothing. But maybe that's just me.

EDIT: Nevermind the former, apparently Mystic thought the same.

Last edited:
I just noticed something, Spring Factory is missing a author. It was a collab of me and ThunderNova, might want to fix that.

Capture the Flag:
Arctic Facility by Kuba11

I'm not going to leave a vote since I've only one thing to suggest for a better release version (And the other CTF maps aren't even worth my efforts in justifying):

This map would do incredibly well with a 150% or 200% increase in size.

It is cramped, but it still holds a lot of tactical corridors to keep a flag carrier out of harm's way, provided they're stealthy. So really, a 200% size increase would fix the 'cramped' issue without ruining the other paths, and would have increased impending votes on the material by a good +1 or +2.

It's by far the best CTF map (seeing as TMWNN is hard to navigate, and Uninspired Name Zone is clearly a bad joke), but it could have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back