View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011   #7
742mph
My work is never done yet

Single Player

Mario Land 1-1 by Simsmagic: 5/10

A nice classic Mario level, although it was a tad bit slow, even for a Mario stage, and it didn't feel like it was designed for such fast characters and Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The pipes also look a bit too flat and square. Also, Knuckles can't jump high enough to reach the blocks, so maybe you should place those a bit lower next time. I do like the detail and effort put into background and the castle at the end, though. The design of the entire map also fits Mario Mode well, most of the time at least. Overall, a good starter level for a Mario game or mod, but not completely compatible with Sonic and co.'s abilities.

Chemical Facility Zone Act 1 by KO.T.E: 7/10

It's pretty obvious that a lot of hard work was put into this level, and I applaud you for that. This place is oozing with effort. However, some of the rooms were a bit large and it was easy to get confused in some places. In one room, I was blocked by a closed hatch that I couldn't get past. I searched the room all over for a significant amount of time before finding out that the door was opened by a switch that was concealed in a corner on the other side of the room. I'd recommend putting the switch closer to the thing it activates next time. I was also confused by that room with the black abyss at the end of the waterslide section. Usually black abyss = death pit, so I was worried that I was going to die and tried to escape, only to find out that the "death pit" actually led me to the next section of the level. Also, the level is a bit long for only one act, unless it's near the end of the level pack (if it's part of one). The platforms are also very square, which is a minus for me because squares and rectangles get very boring very fast in terms of appearance. However, I did like the design and scripting of the enemies and the aesthetic detail put into the level. The texture use was also very innovative. I would have never thought of using Special Stage 4 textures for pipes. One more thing, though: It's rather hard to tell which chemicals hurt and which don't, so I would recommend making all the non-hurting ones one color to differentiate them from the others. (I believe the only hurting one is lime green, although I could be mistaken.) AND WHY DID YOU USE THAT MODERN CHEMICAL PLANT MUSIC I WAS PLANNING TO USE IT FOR THE RIFT RRRAAAGGGEEE etc. :P

Last edited by 742mph; 03-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.