The NEW SRB2 site + MB + SRB2Live Site + YouSRB2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Warrior said:
Cue said:
If the wiki management ever did decide to move, there will always be a space at wiki.srb2.org for them (yes, sub-domains will work, no more forwarding srb2.org, now it's the actual domain!) but it's not up to me in the slightest, it's up to them.

Them, at this point, is pretty much me. If it really is that easy to do a DB dump (and if you could guarantee that I'd lose nothing), then I would have no problems moving it, save that I do like having FTP access, and I'd really like to keep that, as well as giving Digi the access as well, as he is pretty much chief coder there, despite his not showing up for two months. I really wush he would show up though. I'd like his opinion on moving it.

If you have $7 per year, you can have srb2wiki.org/.com/.net with cPanel access, more control than sepwich would ever give with his shared hosting and Dreamhosts crappy control panel ;)

Well he's saying that IF this idea isn't scraped it might lead to srb2 1.1 being able to auto update, and also the idea of a message board might sound nice but do you have to? This one is enough why not just have everything else and work without the new MB.... Then again no pictured sig's are allowed. Now I have an idea that might work allowing limited sized pictures in sigs and whoever is breaking that rule is warned then gets a strike.

For anyone thinking that we should just mod the current MB, go learn about PHP and MySQL then try saying that again, phpBB is extremely inflexible piece of software, hence why over my time running message boards I have always managed to convince them to use something better.

And no, this idea won't be scrapped, I've put a fair amount of work into it already and don't plan on backing down, so if you would be kind enough to step aside and let the guy who knows what he's doing get on with his work...

I'm working on posting next, and the minor forum stuff :3

How do you make a profile?
I can press login and it puts me in as Bob_The_Flying_Monke (No y) but i cant see my profile, change my avitar, or do anything else it says Bob_The_Flying_Monkey dosnt exist on the site.

Bob, you registered after I took a copy of the message board database, everyone else who registered before hand can login =P

@on Edge: Go tell AJ to make me an admin, then =P

JRose said:
Can you add something to your MB that works like this MyBB plugin?
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=21&page=1

ZiNgA BuRgA said:
This plugin will turn file sharing links posted on your forums into "direct" links, so users won't have to see a "click here to download" page.

Why would I want that?

The release forums are being scrapped, with only worthwhile stuff being saved. There will be a BBCode dedicated to the YouSRB2 section:
Code:
[download]922[/download
That would spit out something neat for the download with the ID of 922.
I may also have something for projects, since I plan on having a whole thing to do with projects such as ShufflarB2 and SRB2Riders, which will include quite a few interesting features (more on that when it's done (ocrap, I said it again!))

I can really only speak for the whole Wiki change because Wiki's what I do:

I am against moving the Wiki from srb2wiki.sepwich.com to wiki.srb2.org. It's quite fine where it is. And Cue the Head Admin of the Wiki? Why should HE own it? He's only made 33 contributions there, 13 of them just being posts in talk pages. There is no reason why we shouldn't have Dark Warrior be the Head Admin. He's very capable of ruling the site.

EDIT: If Cue will not be the Head Admin of the Wiki, disregard the last 5 sentences.

I don't want to move ANYWHERE. I personally like sepwich, and PHPBB2. Even if that the "new" website will have more features all in it, rather than having to go to other sites, we've still survived with it. We've got SRB2FFH, this forum, and the Wiki, which is pretty much all we really need. I don't see why we need to move, want to move, or should move.

Thank you. Yes, I see no reason for us to move anything. This all seems like it would just make Cue in charge of pretty much everything SRB2, something I do NOT want to happen. OK, now I've stated my true feelings to the community. I feel relieved.

EDIT: From the few things I've seen about Cue, he doesn't seem mature enough to have authority for things.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
I can really only speak for the whole Wiki change because Wiki's what I do:

I am against moving the Wiki from srb2wiki.sepwich.com to wiki.srb2.org. It's quite fine where it is. And Cue the Head Admin of the Wiki? Why should HE own it? He's only made 33 contributions there, 13 of them just being posts in talk pages. There is no reason why we shouldn't have Dark Warrior be the Head Admin. He's very capable of ruling the site.

EDIT: If Cue will not be the Head Admin of the Wiki, disregard the last 5 sentences.

I really have no interest in being the Head Admin of the wiki, but I will argue on the contributions case, what I would provide for free via Sid (host) is about $20/m of web hosting for nothing, but hey, we're not counting finance here!

Also, look up Kroze and tell me if he would be a suitable admin, because he's in charge of a site with over 10,000 (retarded) users.

PHPBB is an extremely poor example of message board software, take a look at the other major ones (MyBB, vBulletin, etc) and tell me if they compare.

Oh, and if you don't see a need to move, think about sending thousands of MySQL queries to a remote MySQL database, not a good idea. most of you guys have no idea what PHPBB is really like behind the scenes compared to other pieces of software, let me tell you, it's hell.

My rant is done now, so I will finish with this...

SonicMaster, the impact on the wiki would be minimal, you have no reason to even worry about that. All it would be is a new URL, and even then all srb2wiki.sepwich.com URLs will be redirected to the appropriate wiki.srb2.org page.

Good day to you, sir.

Cue said:
PHPBB is an extremely poor example of message board software, take a look at the other major ones (MyBB, vBulletin, etc) and tell me if they compare.

But it is popular, and easy to use. Besides, I still don't see why we need to move. We really do have everything we need here.

And 20$ a month? Ya know, there are more hosting sites that can host for WAY cheaper.

This topic is moronic, except for Cue. HE'S WORKING ON THE SITE, OKAY? I'm completely for moving whatever.

@whoever said Cue can't handle authority: Cue might act stupid, but that doesn't mean he is. He takes things quite seriously when he wants/needs to.

@Cheese: These new features, you don't know about them. They're going to be so much cooler than this site it's not even funny~

I will bet you ten thousand (10,000) U.S. Rings that Cue's site will be at least 5x cooler than this one. I'm already liking the features that are incomplete.

Kitsune said:
I will bet you ten thousand (10,000) U.S. Rings that Cue's site will be at least 5x cooler than this one. I'm already liking the features that are incomplete.

And I'm guessing half of those features are useless because we already can do them.

I never said they might be cooler, I just said that we can already do most of them.

Edit: Also, you say you like the features that are incomplete? You can log in and that's about all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back