Yuni-Chan; Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuni

I'm sure some people have watched my change my name to YUNI-CHAN for a bit. I wated to try out an experiment. Adding a -Chan after my name would make me saying i'm 'sex ready.'
Why did I do this? I wanted to see how long it would take before someone told me so.
After about a week, someone named Shadonic (I believe) finally pointed out this perverted name. If I correctly remember that conversation...
SHADONIC: Are you Yuki-Naka?
YUNI: No.
SHADONIC (again): Are you Yuki-Naka?
YUNI: No!
SHADONIC: You're a pervert!
I feel really bad for those who didn't know what it meant while I was playing a netgame.

Also I asked another group of people which names sounds better before even starting. The list was:
YUNI
YUNI-CHAN
ROCKEMSOCKEMCOWBOYS
CHAOS THEORY

They chose YUNI-CHAN hands down. Either they liked how it sounded, or they really knew what it meant and were perverted people themselves. I won't know though.

Wait, what? I thought -Chan was just a random honorable, meaning "one of equal honorable status" or something like that. Sure you've got your facts straight?

Um yeah...I've watched dubbed animes (i.e. Naruto, meh) before and little
kids in it referred to each other with Chan.

Either you're wrong or... <_<

Wikipedia said:
Chan (ちゃん, Chan?) is a diminutive suffix. It is an informal version of san used to address children and female family members. It may also be used towards animals, lovers, intimate friends, and people whom one has known since childhood. Chan continues to be used as a term of endearment, especially for girls, into adulthood. Parents will probably always call their daughters chan and their sons kun, though chan can be used towards boys just as easily. Adults may use chan as a term of endearment to women with whom they are on close terms.

Chan can be considered a feminine mode of speech in that it is used mainly by, or towards, females. Its pattern of usage is similar to using "dear" when addressing someone in English. Males would not use chan when addressing other males (other than very young children, or idiomatic cases like Shuwa-chan, described below).

"Pet names" are often made by attaching chan to a truncated stem of a name. This implies even greater intimacy than simply attaching it to the full name. So for example, a pet rabbit (usagi) might be called usa-chan rather than usagi-chan. Similarly, Chan is sometimes used to form pet names for celebrities. For example, Arnold Schwarzenegger gained the nickname Shuwa chan in Japanese. Pet-names may also use variations on chan (see "euphonic suffixes", below).

Although traditionally honorifics are not applied to oneself, some young women adopt the affectation of referring to themselves in the third person using chan, a mode of speech normally only found amongst small children. For example, a young woman named Maki might call herself Maki-chan rather than using a first person pronoun.

The Japanese media use chan when mentioning pre-elementary school children and sometimes elementary-school girls.

Not quite what you think it is. Though I was wrong as well. Still, it's perfectly suitable for a random girl on the internet to use the -chan suffix, generally an otaku with an obsession with cute things. Nothing 'sex ready' or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back