• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

XWE Tutorial for newbies (with screens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said:
Anyway nice tutorial. Saves alot of time renaming the sprites yourself.
Changed my mind. It's quicker just saving the files to the correct name and dumping the whole lot in one go rather then replacing each sprite individually (if making a wad from scratch).

To save them all and then recolour all the graphics takes a long time but making graphics from scratch take even more time.But you get extra points for originality then ;)

*sigh* I'm feeling n00buler. when I open XWE, it says "failed to create key wad_auto_file/defaulticon". Then it says "List index out of bounds (0)". If I try to load my renamed sonic.plr, it says "List index out of bounds (3)". Anything I do results in an error message. :cry: Can you help me? Feel free to laugh at my n00bish skills. :oops:

You sure you got all XWE files? Be sure to download the regular XWE first before you download the XWE beta exe thingy.

You just download the main XWE first. Then you'll download the XWE beta. Now replace the old XWE file with that beta exe.

If he downloaded the full zip of XWE off SRB2Wiki, that wouldn't have been a problem. Though, that isn't well-advertised. Yet.

Calm down, all of you. I've been writing an XWE user's manual. It won't be ready for a while, but XWE is a simplistic program. I hope that some of you can figure it out. It's not a difficult thing to do.

lava said:
To save them all and then recolour all the graphics takes a long time but making graphics from scratch take even more time.But you get extra points for originality then ;)

Actually I think It takes longer doing a recolor than a custom wad.

Lumpmod, SLumpEd, DeePsea...

Anyways, you shouldn't be getting any errors from the XWE zip from the Wiki. I set it up myself. I tested it. It worked fine. Are you possibly using a limited-access account on your machine? If so, that may account for why it isn't working.

Just to let you guys know I'm half way done with a Tails Chao wad and I started 2 hours ago.This will be my first wad. :D
EDIT:I need help,when I test my character wad it takes over Sonic.

I got XWE to work but I have two problems.

1. An odd thing happened.While I was downloading the SH-sonic, instead of bringing up the srb2 launcher, it opened the wad with XWE.Then when I went back to the Crappy recolor i was making, this happened to the sprites:

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledld6.png

Can you tell me what happened?

2.For some reason my S_SKIN does not work. Can you tell me how to make it edit character's stats?

Thanks!

P.S.: Is it considered double-posting if I post again after like, a month? (assuming the thread is not locked...)

1) XWE is now associated with the file. You shouldn't really have SRB2's launcher associated with wadfiles anyways, so that right there is a good thing.

2) There's a character design tutorial on SRB2 Wiki. Go read that.

The instructions clearly do. However, the point is, he's right about one thing. While most people can understand the simple options bar, some people can't, and a tutorial needs to be written, if for nothing else than to say "Here, it's all here. Don't ask."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back