Wouldn't SRB2 tecnically be a rom hack?

It'sUrBoy!

“Is Very Cool And Awesome”
A mod add's stuff to an existing game and a rom hack changes the entire game, and SRB2 is basically its own entire game at this point so wouldn't it technically be a rom hack?

A mod add's stuff to an existing game and a rom hack changes the entire game, and SRB2 is basically its own entire game at this point so wouldn't it technically be a rom hack?
So srb2 itself is not a romhack simply becauss it works on a edited engine(doom legacy) and works its own way
A rom hack is a edited rom to create a new experience
While srb2 works all by itself and not via another sonic game

SRB2 builds upon the source code of the DOOM Legacy Engine. Saying that SRB2 is a ROM hack of Doom is like saying that Sonic 2 is a ROM hack of Sonic 1. They aren't ROM hacks at all and simply use the same engine

SRB2 builds upon the source code of the DOOM Legacy Engine. Saying that SRB2 is a ROM hack of Doom is like saying that Sonic 2 is a ROM hack of Sonic 1. They aren't ROM hacks at all and simply use the same engine
So srb2 itself is not a romhack simply becauss it works on a edited engine(doom legacy) and works its own way
I asked this question mostly because alot people have been saying SRB2 is a mod of doom's legacy engine and a couple thoughts and questions linger through my head when people say that.

It's not a romhack.

Actually it doesn't even use a rom to begin with.

Also, this isn't a Doom mod either.

Not how it works.

ROM hacks modifies ROMs. Mods are the general term. ROM hacks are a subtype of mod. The only difference is that ROM hacks modify ROMs specifically.

Also, some ROM hacks are really minor changes, lol.

SRB2 doesn't modify a ROM, and therefore is just a source code mod.

Not how it works.

ROM hacks modifies ROMs. Mods are the general term. ROM hacks are a subtype of mod. The only difference is that ROM hacks modify ROMs specifically.

Yes, for example Knuckles in Sonic 1 is a romhack of Sonic 1.

Sonic 3 AIR on the other hand is a sourceport of Sonic 3&K as it takes elements from the S3&K rom to put into a new engine.

Sonic Before the Sequel is a fangame replicating the Genesis games with a different engine.

Yes, for example Knuckles in Sonic 1 is a romhack of Sonic 1.

Sonic 3 AIR on the other hand is a sourceport of Sonic 3&K as it takes elements from the S3&K rom to put into a new engine.

Sonic Before the Sequel is a fangame replicating the Genesis games with a different engine.
Not how it works.

It's not a romhack.

Actually it doesn't even use a rom to begin with.

Also, this isn't a Doom mod either.
So srb2 is basically its own game just using dooms engine. But why are people this a mod?

The way people use the term "mod" can be inconsistent. To some people, mods are just something that you apply on top of a vanilla(unmodded) game. To others, it can extend to other free games running on the same engine. At this point SRB2's engine is different enough from the Doom engine to be considered it's own thing, but the fact that it was originally derived from the Doom engine and is a fangame distributed for free still leads many people to refer to it as a "Doom mod".

Basically what I'm saying is in regards to general usage, a single unified definition/consensus as to what is and isn't a mod and when something that was a mod stops being a mod hasn't really been reached, and can sometimes be confusing.

The same thing extends (sometimes interchangeably) into remakes and remasters. What makes the Crash N.Sane Trilogy a remaster instead of a remake? What makes Half-Life 2 MMod a mod rather than a remaster? Even official companies have a tendency of getting the terminology confused, which doesn't help any. As such, nobody can really be blamed for feeling confused by it all.

SRB2 isn't a ROM tho
I literally just realised that after posting this my mistake ok.
Post automatically merged:

Ok im just gonna look at SRB2 as a game using dooms engine from now on, not a mod its FAR from just a doom mod at this point.

Last edited:
It really grinds my gears when people calls Sonic Mania a romhack or Robo Blast 2 a Doom mod.

Imagine if people calls Titanfall a Quake mod because it uses the Source engine (which is itself based off GoldSource which is based off Quake).

Or if people calls any Atomiswave game a Dreamcast one only because it's based off the Naomi system.

I think it was a derogatory term from some salty people to call it a "glorified romhack"...
Ah I gotcha now. The “lowest” nickname I’ve ever heard it being called was “The Official Fangame” which is somewhat true, but they’re a talented group of people who make a living off of making games, so I find it kinda rude

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back