Wouldn't it be cool if someone made an OS that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaysakado

...had all the features of Mac, but was compatible with Windows programs? It would own so hard.

Discuss. Now. Before I bite of your head. *shot*

Oh yeah, forgot about that... but if someone made the OS, then they could give it out for free, so you wouldn't need to pay.

You know that Mac is just FreeBSD with a bunch of bells and whistles attached along with a price tag, right?

However, Linux also has some weird issues that need to be worked out to make it more user-friendly. On Kubuntu my main complaints are mouse navigation, weird URL loading, programs waiting 30 seconds to start-up and then quitting because another instance is running (instead of just stopping there), and ATI drivers that lock up whenever a game tries rendering to textures. They've made progress, though, as (K)Ubuntu Gutsy does have the new Restricted Driver Manager (very, very helpful), and AMD seems to be releasing new ATI Linux drivers on a regular basis.

I think the ultimate operating system would be Linux using KDE + Beryl/Compiz with the hardware and software compatibility of Windows. Think of the possibilities...

FoxBlitzz said:
However, Linux also has some weird issues that need to be worked out to make it more user-friendly. On Kubuntu my main complaints are mouse navigation, weird URL loading, programs waiting 30 seconds to start-up and then quitting because another instance is running (instead of just stopping there), and ATI drivers that lock up whenever a game tries rendering to textures. They've made progress, though, as (K)Ubuntu Gutsy does have the new Restricted Driver Manager (very, very helpful), and AMD seems to be releasing new ATI Linux drivers on a regular basis.

I think the ultimate operating system would be Linux using KDE + Beryl/Compiz with the hardware and software compatibility of Windows. Think of the possibilities...

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/
CrossOver Linux allows you to install many popular Windows productivity applications, plugins and games in Linux, without needing a Microsoft Operating System license. CrossOver includes an easy to use, single click interface, which makes installing a Windows application simple and fast. Once installed, your application integrate seamlessly with your Gnome or KDE environment. Just click and run your application, exactly as you would in Windows, but with the full freedom of Linux.

Sounds like that would do what you what. I have not tried it yet.

Uhh, Crossover Office is NOT free software. And it also isn't going to magically fix bad ATI Linux drivers. The point of WINE is that I can run Windows programs for free on Linux, though they don't run as well as on Windows (and have a few compatibility issues).

And AMD better hurry up and fix freezing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back