Wii Passes Xbox 360 in Worldwide Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

Well, it finally happened.

wiiiiick3.png

VG Chartz said:
Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Nintendo's Wii have passed Microsoft's Xbox 360 on a worldwide basis as of August 23rd.

Two years ago, very few analysts would have predicted the Nintendo Wii would be market leader this generation against the established Playstation and Xbox brands. But analysts can be in error: Vgchartz.com data, which is based on sample data from retailers all over the world indicates that the week ending August 23rd Nintendo's Wii (which was released one year after the Xbox 360 in November 2006), currently standing at 10.57 million consoles sold, passed Xbox 360 lifetime sales of 10.51 million units, making Nintendo the new market leader in both the home and handheld videogame console businesses.

As weekly data from vgchartz.com shows, the console outsold Microsoft’s Xbox 360 by a margin of 2.3 : 1 worldwide on average each week since its release, selling at an even faster rate than the most successful console ever created, Sony's Playstation 2, despite still being sold out in most major markets.

This is the first time that a company has been market leader in the home console and the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendo’s Super NES and Gameboy dominated worldwide.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be first to announce this major sales cross over as an independent tracker of sales and expect this to be a milestone for the current generation. In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed. This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future.

One factor that has no doubt helped Nintendo's Wii to gain so quickly is the console's broad appeal across all age groups, demographics and countries. Current sales are pretty evenly split between the three major markets – 3.46 million have been sold in Japan, the American market (including Canada and South America) accounts for 4.24million and Other markets (including Europe and Australia and a few niche markets) for 2.87 million units sold, respectively.

Discuss.

Heh, it's a shame Microsoft didn't have anything good to offer Japan. Otherwise the Wii wouldn't have passed them so quickly.

I was wondering when this was going to happen. I figured that, due to the explosive sales rate of the Wii when it was first released, that it would overtake the 360.

Now the real question: Is the Wii going to become the PS2 of this generation?

It's kinda funny when you think about it. Wii's are high in demand but they are hard to get, yet thier selling rate are above that of Xbox and (Obviously) the PS3.

Oh dear.

Don't get me wrong or anything, I'm pleased for Nintendo and all, but perhaps this is giving them the wrong idea? It's pretty easy to notice that the Wii has got a DS like scenario going on, basing its library on "Non-games" and minigame compilations and the like. Now, this works fine on the DS, a portable system that is likely to be played in short bursts, but on a home console, the experience needs to be a bit deeper to satisfy a hardcore gamer. I'm sincerely hoping that developers don't get the wrong idea from this and decide to produce some actual games. I mean, fair enough, we have Prime 3 and SSBB to satisfy the hardcore croud, but what about third parties?

Nintendo has introduced a new niche to the market which they hope to become somewhat of a replacement for conventional gaming (if the Wii and DS' library are of any indication, anyway) with the reasoning that conventional gaming is getting old, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that (hell, its a brilliant idea), but this "new market" is becoming over saturated a hell of a lot quicker than "conventional" gaming (The flood of Brain Training games and ripoffs are an excellent example of this). How much Brain Training, simplistic minigames or cooking can gamers take before it gets old?

Cooking Mamma? Koorinpa? Mario Party 8? Trauma Center? No thanks, wake me up when Prime 3's here.

Isn't that in a week?

Come on, the Gamecube's launch titles were Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion.

The Wii's? Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

There's plenty to offer hardcore gamers, it's just in smaller quantities.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Isn't that in a week?

Come on, the Gamecube's launch titles were Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion.

The Wii's? Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

There's plenty to offer hardcore gamers, it's just in smaller quantities.

I was talking more about third party titles really. I just don't want this to turn out like the gamecube, having stellar first party titles throughout it's lifetime but failing on the third party side of things, the difference this time, rather than problems with the amount of third party titles, it seems to be the quality. Perhaps I'm being slightly over paranoid, it just seems that all the third party's higher budget titles end up on the 360/PS3/PC while the Wii gets the half-assed brain training clones/PS2 ports with tilt control/mini game compilations. But yeah, I probably am being over pessimestic about it.

(Pikmin and Lugi's Mansion rocked by the way :P)

Nintendo is releasing at least 1 console a year... and due the popularity of Zintendombies arround the world, Nintendo will get most sales. :P

When it comes to the home market, Nintendo has been releasing a new console about once every 5 years. For handhelds, it tends to fluctuate a bit, but it's not even close to "one console a year". Where do you get these crazy ideas?

FoxBlitzz said:
When it comes to the home market, Nintendo has been releasing a new console about once every 5 years. For handhelds, it tends to fluctuate a bit, but it's not even close to "one console a year". Where do you get these crazy ideas?

Okay, I exaggerated a little :x but they're constantly releasing different consoles comparing to the rest of companies, that was what I wanted to say. -.-

Uhh, no? They're releasing consoles at around the same time and pace everyone else is. Every generation, there's Nintendo's console, and the competitors'. You aren't making any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back