Why was spacial speed added in 2.2?

kaz²

Hard conversations bring people together ^w^
I've started to wonder about this for a while now. You know how most games the camera doesn't get impact by movement as much as SRB2? Frankly, they use FOV changes or any form of visual effect they can grab.

Then again, Why was spacial speed added in 2.2?

I've started to wonder about this for a while now. You know how most games the camera doesn't get impact by movement as much as SRB2? Frankly, they use FOV changes or any form of visual effect they can grab.

Then again, Why was spacial speed added in 2.2?
Depends on what you mean.
The camera moving slower than the character? It wasn't even a 2.2-specific feature. SRB2 had the camera move like that since the Halloween tech demo.
The setting to basically disable it? Idk.

Nothing changed about the camera's mechanics. What did happen was that the camera got zoomed out to a more comfortable viewing distance.

The problem is that Doom's third person camera is pretty horrible at its core and really not designed for our needs, so zooming the camera out only makes this more obvious. It does need a mechanical revamp.

Last edited:
Nothing changed about the camera's mechanics. What did happen was that the camera got zoomed out to a more comfortable viewing distance.

The problem is that Doom's third person camera is pretty horrible at its core and really not designed for our needs, so zooming the camera out only makes this more obvious. It does need a mechanical revamp.

I thought that for a bit, but it messes up with my movement accuracy without it off. I set the camera distance to a perfect amount so I can see while zooming around.

I thought that having the camera automatically zoom out when you reach a running state instead of using spacial speed. Like how some mods space out the camera to give a better view.

So basically here's how the camera works:

* The camera tries to be at a specific vertical and horizontal distance behind the player. If it is not at that point, it will try to move to that point -- if I'm not mistaken, it's done by warping to a position between the camera's current position and its destination position (with cam_speed determining the interpolation amount). This means, so long as cam_speed isn't 1.0 or higher, the camera will always lag behind the player by some amount before reaching its resting position.

* The camera is a tangible object, meaning it cannot move through terrain (unless the terrain is specifically flagged as camera intangible).

* If the camera can't see the player (it is blocked by terrain), it will teleport directly to the player object's coordinates.

* In Standard (Analog and Simple appear to be different) the player's movement inputs are input relative to the player's angle, which is NOT the same as their current camera position. If the camera is not directly in line with the direction the player is facing, the player's movement input will not be oriented in terms of the camera position, i.e. movement input will feel like it's being rotated by some amount.

This is nothing that we've ever touched, it's just how Doom's thirdperson cam has always worked. It's only more noticeable now because we had recently increased the default cam_dist setting to rest the camera farther behind the player. Generally speaking, the farther away the camera is from its target, the more likely it is for certain awkward behavior to take place.

So basically here's how the camera works:

* The camera tries to be at a specific vertical and horizontal distance behind the player. If it is not at that point, it will try to move to that point -- if I'm not mistaken, it's done by warping to a position between the camera's current position and its destination position (with cam_speed determining the interpolation amount). This means, so long as cam_speed isn't 1.0 or higher, the camera will always lag behind the player by some amount before reaching its resting position.

* The camera is a tangible object, meaning it cannot move through terrain (unless the terrain is specifically flagged as camera intangible).

* If the camera can't see the player (it is blocked by terrain), it will teleport directly to the player object's coordinates.

* In Standard (Analog and Simple appear to be different) the player's movement inputs are input relative to the player's angle, which is NOT the same as their current camera position. If the camera is not directly in line with the direction the player is facing, the player's movement input will not be oriented in terms of the camera position, i.e. movement input will feel like it's being rotated by some amount.

This is nothing that we've ever touched, it's just how Doom's thirdperson cam has always worked. It's only more noticeable now because we had recently increased the default cam_dist setting to rest the camera farther behind the player. Generally speaking, the farther away the camera is from its target, the more likely it is for certain awkward behavior to take place.

That was probably the most best way you could explain that, ever.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back