Why School should be cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash said:
"Oh, I hate school! It should be ******* canceled because it just sucks ass, and everyone here will agree with me. Hell, I don't even NEED school and college because *I'm already amazingly smart, and my proper typing skills clarify that, because it just does."

*This is what I hear from most of you.
Even if school bores me, I think we should stay in it. My mom says it's needed to get a future.

Offtopic:
Warpshade, how's Field of Dreams going? I'm dying to try that map.

Simply:

Most kids dislike school enough to not want to constantly go there. Same with teachers. Give 'em time off so they won't get stressed.

Chaos said:
Japanese, Chinese, same thing.

Uhh. They're completely different! Japanese is closer to Korean than Chinese. Chinese uses tones in voice which just make it horribly hard. It's sort of like saying that English and German are the same thing. Anyway, thankfully I get to go to a school that teaches Japanese next year. (Fear my 14 year old power!) You guys are all so old here... T-T
Anyway, I like school. Don't get me wrong that I would like less of it, but still. School is very important. You need to learn to get a good job. Personally I would like to start out at something like a nursery (A plant one. NOT babies). Not some fast food place. (Not saying that it's a bad thing, but I would like a better job than that!) So yeah. School is important for your future. It should not be canceled.

Shadow Hog said:
FSX said:
Give 'em time off so they won't get stressed.
It's called summer vacation.

Actually, they spend most of that time preparing for next year! As well as taking mandatory classes, training sessions, and seminars.

Jacklekku said:
I thought it was Japanese

Japan isn't becoming a world power anytime soon. I can easily see knowing Chinese being very useful in the future, working with business partners there, etc. Or maybe when China takes over the US and UK.

Second language is only going to help if you are going to be dealing with stuff internationally or are in close proximity to another culture (US Southwest, European Countries). Math, Science and English are probably the most important things, as they form a basis for everything else.

As for following a career that is generally where college comes in, however the point still remains that sometimes things are too generalized for the best effect. While there is no way I can argue that School should be canceled, I can argue how some methods are more effective than others.

Ash said:
My school actually has a huge variety of second languages (8), and encourages students to take at least 3 consistent years of language (that means, no switching from Spanish, to Latin, to Greek, etc.). School should definitely not be canceled; what the hell are you guys thinking? I mean, are you even THINKING about your degrees (not the measure) and stuff? "Oh, I hate school! It should be ******* canceled because it just sucks ass, and everyone here will agree with me. Hell, I don't even NEED school and college because *I'm already amazingly smart, and my proper typing skills clarify that, because it just does."

*This is what I hear from most of you.

Firstly, we're only supplying arguments for Stumperman's topic.

Second, literacy is only one of the many things I'm sure some of us know; I'm skillful in geometry and fair amounts of life science, self-trained in music and art, and am constantly taking in ideas on many subjects. I've had a daydreaming problem for a long time when it comes to homework, and I mainly think it's because I either already know the homework and dislike writing, or the homework is useless to me and there are other subjects that concern me. Hell, I could actually be daydreaming about anything -- occasionally I'll be thinking about how the human mind works, what would be a cool invention or gadget, or I'll just be thinking of a music piece I could be making. I don't think school should be canceled, but there are some parts of it that I think seriously should be revised.

I just want to get my Bachelors of Science or Arts, and then... do SOMETHING. I don't know what I'm supposed to do after that, but of course, I'm only a freshman. I still have many many years to think about it.

I've pretty much decided on game design. I'm good at art, music, and math, so the only skill I'd need to work on is... the game language. :\

Really too me, the issue is not getting rid of school but changing it to be much more active, instead of sitting in a class room while learning about something that you'll probably forget in about 20 - 30 years. If it were to become more memorable, maybe we would learn something decent. A prime example is: My mother. I bring home some homework and ask a question and has NO idea what I'm doing. >.>

Earuto said:
Btw we would be like cavemen and women if there wasnt' a such thing to teach us.
What the hell do you mean by that?

EDIT: Just now I realise he mean't cavmen and cavewoman instead of cavemen and modern day woman =p

To be politically correct; use the term cavepeople, rather than cavemen and cavewomen (although, lol @ comparing cavemen to women and being very sexist in the process of being mildly amusing).

Basicly, school is quite needed. But they just learn kids so many stuff thats totally obvious already. "How to have sex and why" as a chapter in the second grade was one of them. Its gross to see all those images, and its already dang obvious how and why, since your parents probably already told you about it 5 years ago. French, something I never needed in life. Drawing, which is fun, but also not needed. Music, also not needed. This is what you would all think, right? Wrong. Although it might not be usefull to you, it is to others.

But....that still means its not usefull to you. And thats why I think you need to be able to choose from an earlier age what you want to do. All the knowledge from "useless"(which means to you) French lessons will definitly hinder you from doing important ones. If you get horrible grades on it, your chance of failing will be bigger. So you're forced to learn it. And by doing so you'll waste time that could have been spent on important lessons, and/or free time. (Oh yes, before you think free time means laziness, its not nessesarily that. You'll learn alot from information sources like people around you, TV, internet, and more. It helps you with general knowledge.)

So, basicly we need are more and earlier choices, and school should stop pointing out such obvious things. Its irritating to have french for 2 years, and only being able to stop it after that.

I'm no fan of school, I admit; Although some of my teachers are fun, eg:

Hannyness' History Teacher said:
This weather is bloody awful! Urrgh... Hannah, don't look like I just strangled a puppy, it's not that bad.

Yeah, that's real.

On the other hand,,,

Hannyness's math teacher said:
Hannah!! Detention for needing the toilet.
Not an exact quote but it happened.

I can only learn from a lesson if I am interested. and maths can be interesting if it is not taught by an old bat (which is my current situation)

And anyway, apparently you never use maths when you leave school - my brother doesn't and he's 24 with a really good job. No, he is not SSNTails.

Super mystic sonic said:
Basicly, school is quite needed. But they just learn kids so many stuff thats totally obvious already. "How to have sex and why" as a chapter in the second grade was one of them. Its gross to see all those images, and its already dang obvious how and why, since your parents probably already told you about it 5 years ago. French, something I never needed in life. Drawing, which is fun, but also not needed. Music, also not needed. This is what you would all think, right? Wrong. Although it might not be usefull to you, it is to others.

But....that still means its not usefull to you. And thats why I think you need to be able to choose from an earlier age what you want to do. All the knowledge from "useless"(which means to you) French lessons will definitly hinder you from doing important ones. If you get horrible grades on it, your chance of failing will be bigger. So you're forced to learn it. And by doing so you'll waste time that could have been spent on important lessons, and/or free time. (Oh yes, before you think free time means laziness, its not nessesarily that. You'll learn alot from information sources like people around you, TV, internet, and more. It helps you with general knowledge.)

So, basicly we need are more and earlier choices, and school should stop pointing out such obvious things. Its irritating to have french for 2 years, and only being able to stop it after that.

Alright. First of all, do you even know what you're talking about? Do you know how many kids would kill to have the opportunity to have a decent education, but are less fortunate and have to work? What your saying isn't fair; with which what you have said has deemed you (in my opinion) undeserving of the education sought after by the many hundreds of millions of uneducated peoples.

Let's pinpoint some of the stuff you said.

Super mystic sonic said:
Basicly, school is quite needed. But they just learn kids so many stuff thats totally obvious already. "How to have sex and why" as a chapter in the second grade was one of them. Its gross to see all those images, and its already dang obvious how and why, since your parents probably already told you about it 5 years ago.

What? I didn't have any SexEd classes in second grade, and I don't think I really knew fully the ways in which sex worked. I highly doubt you had it in second grade, because if it were that early in life, you'd need a permission slip to be able to be taught it (hell, you need one in some middle schools too). You need to get your facts straight, because in 2nd grade, the average age is 8. If my parents told me about sex at age 3, what good would that do?
Super mystic sonic said:
French, something I never needed in life. Drawing, which is fun, but also not needed. Music, also not needed. This is what you would all think, right? Wrong. Although it might not be usefull to you, it is to others.

I beg your pardon, but it's actually important to have at least SOME experience with ANY second language. It broadens and attracts your mind to other countries, cultures, traditions, and so much more. The fact that makes you so incredibly wrong about French being useless is that it's actually very, very important. Did you know French was part of a class of languages called the 'Romance Languages'? (No, it has nothing to do with love; more so Roman/Latin based roots.)
French
Spanish
Italian
Portuguese
Romanian
...are the five romance languages. If you learn the principles in one, it makes it exceptionally easier to learn all five of those, making travel a whole lot easier. Knowing words and principles in another language can also improve your skill in your first one; specifically writing, since there are so many wonderful techniques you can implement well into English from pretty much any language. It also trains your brain in memorization, and linguistics. I'd say it's useful.

Drawing and music (or specifically the Unified Arts) may not be similar to French in this case, but it's still useful if you want to have a life with meaning, rather than be a one-purpose 'robot' with knowledge in only one thing. You may not become an artist, or a musician, but it doesn't hurt to know a little extra, does it? Random trivia is good for gameshows, advice, certain academic subjects (which may require this sort of thing (oh and by subjects, I'm not talking about school really; just if you were to become a Chemistry major or something, and took up a career in chemistry)), and just life in general! Why not spice it up and LIVE? They teach you these things to make you a well rounded human being; complete with emotions and thoughts.
Super mystic sonic said:

Can you honestly imagine if people made up their mind about what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives at the age of 5, and only studied in that one subject? Everyone would be separated into what they had learned. This is the kind of education that keeps groups of differing qualities and attributes together! How could we go without it?

I'm not sure, but I think you're tying this into your current life (which as you described, involves failing French). The sad thing about it is that you don't even take the initiative to do something about it. You can't just sit there and say, "Oh... I'm failing. I can't do anything. Why should I even try?" Also, have you ever heard that making mistakes are a part of learning? If you got everything right from the start, you wouldn't learn anything, but that's not the case. You CAN learn, but you're not grabbing this opportunity by the trousers and saying, "I can pass. No! I can ACE this course... all I need is a little effort... and maybe study a bit more instead of using the computer all day..." Although you may think it's a waste of time, it isn't It just isn't. Everything PROVIDED in school is absolutely essential; you can't learn everything by sitting in front of a screen for most of your life. You have to explore, think, create... invent... it doesn't happen in front of a screen. You can waste your life and do nothing about it, sure, but you're only hurting yourself.

Super mystic sonic said:

But, we have that. It's called Pre-school, or Elementary school. It's before all of the pandemonium of careers and college to prepare you for what's up ahead. It points out the obvious; slowly building your intelligence and what you know, but you find your own way on that timeline too, and it makes you different than everyone else. A world where all people learn only one thing their whole lives... to only do one task... isn't that what robots are used for? Just thinking about a world like that - so bleak - brings chills down my spine.

About your French problem: If you had hated French SO much, you could have taken another course (which doesn't necessarily have to be a second language, but colleges like it). I mean, I don't know about you, but in Pre-K and Elementary, I was taught a little French once a week (on Tuesdays). I liked it. It was fun and enjoyable. Every kid either had French or Spanish depending on their grade level, and I was happy with the one that was assigned to mine. Guess which language course I'm taking now?

Italian.

You don't have to stay consistent with one thing; learn to follow your heart rather than your brackish, clouded mind filled with nothing but conformity, or you wont get anywhere. School is absolutely essential, and there's nothing anyone can say to change that.

Honestly, I think that at least one language other than the native one is *needed*.
The reason for which I'm able to be here it's because I know a second language (in my case English) and thanks to it I can use computers and such much better than I could have done without knowing it.
And about romance languages, yes, if you know one of them, it's quite easy to read something written in another romance language.
I'm Italian and I can understand Spanish and Portuguese at an almost decent level, even when I've never studied them.
I studied French, too, even if I've forgotten much of it (it isn't like they taught much of it in the first place).

Anyway, even being Italian, I think that if you aren't Italian you'd better study Spanish or French or Portuguese, that are much more spoken than Italian.
Italian is only spoken in Italy, pretty much. Not even so well, most of us where I live can't use the conjuntive right (neither can I ;) )

cueball61 said:
School does not teach you about later life as it doesn't teach you the basic crap such as mortgages and insurance stuff, which people will be clueless about when they confront...

And that's when Key Skills lessons come in College.Universities or however which country's education system is set.

I dropped a few lessons in Year 8 (UK). Most were crappy lessons like Modern languages (did my head in) and some such as Geography (pretty hard)

Yeah, in my school you get to choose two subjects to do as well as English, Mathematics, Sciences, RE, PE and PSHE. I personally chose ICT and Drama. I didn't actually want Drama, but due to the way to school timetable is organised, it was my best choice available.

RE = Religious Education
PE = Physical Education
PSHE = Personal Social and Health Education
ICT = Information Communication Technology.

We also have a choice of Electronic Products, Resistant Materials, Food Technology, Textiles and Graphic Products.

We also have the choice to learn French or German.

School should not be cancled.

Education gets you places.

Education will get you a job, even if its one you hate,
BECAUSE SCHOOL TAUGHT YOU HOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back