why is this happening

i think i remember downloading it
Could you please check? Press Windows+Pause on your keyboard. I don't know what you mean exactly by "downloading it" and I won't tell you to run a program that wouldn't work because you're missing the installation of SP1, or tell you to download and install it when it's unnecessary.

Could you please check? Press Windows+Pause on your keyboard. I don't know what you mean exactly by "downloading it" and I won't tell you to run a program that wouldn't work because you're missing the installation of SP1, or tell you to download and install it when it's unnecessary.
just checked, yeah i did

just checked, yeah i did
Alright, let's bring your Windows 7 computer to an up-to-date state. Again, this would only be necessary once, and then you'll continue to receive updates from Microsoft automatically.
  1. You should dedicate something like 2 or 3 hours that you can leave your computer running without interruption.
  2. Download UpdatePack7R2 (by simplix; that is the direct download link; here is the homepage in Russian, it also has a magnet link if you have a BitTorrent program on your computer, unfortunately the SRB2 forum doesn't let me put the magnet link here without breaking it). Wait for the program to download completely before you continue.
  3. Open any folder, click on the Organize button at the top corner, click on "Folder and search options", switch to the second tab View, look for an option called something like "Hide extensions for known file types", and disable/untick it, and click OK. (Here is a guide.)
  4. Close all of the open windows on your Windows 7 computer.
  5. Right-click on the icon of Avast in the notifications area at the bottom, and turn off Avast permanently (not for a few minutes, not until the next restart, but permanently until you'll right-click on it again and turn it back on). If you feel uneasy to do that, I suggest the following: Open Avast, start an update, do a quick scan (this might take some time though) and make sure it comes out clean or let Avast deal with anything it does find, right-click on UpdatePack7R2 and scan it with Avast (it should come out clean), disconnect from the Internet (you don't need Internet for UpdatePack7R2), and then turn off Avast permanently. This way you'd know that everything on the computer currently is clean and there's no way for anything further to get into your computer while Avast is turned off because there's no Internet access.
  6. Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, click on Properties at the bottom, find a button called Unblock (there should be one if you downloaded UpdatePack7R2 using the regular link on the Windows 7 computer), click it, and click on OK to save.
    urt2c.png
  7. Select and copy the following text: UpdatePack7R2--ie11++.exe
    Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, click on Rename, and this should select all of the file name excluding the .exe part at the end. Erase everything, including the .exe suffix, to leave the file name blank, then press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the new name, and then press Enter to save the name.
    UP7R2 icon.png
  8. If your Windows 7 computer is a laptop, connect it to a power source now, and leave it plugged in.
  9. Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, and click on Run as administrator at the top, with an icon of a blue-yellow shield.
    win7ie-autorun-run-administrator.png
    You should see a window popping up, called "User Account Control". The window will either have a blue-colored theme or a yellow-colored theme, and it should tell you what's the publisher of UpdatePack7R2. Click on Yes only if the window has a blue color and says that the verified publisher is Alexander Lomachevsky, or simplix.
    image178.png
    If the publisher has any other name, or the window is colored in yellow and says the publisher is unknown or unverified, then probably your download messed up and you must click on No. (I think it's possible that because your Windows 7 is so out-of-date that it could still think UpdatePack7R2 is unverified despite that it's the authentic file and not messed up. If that happens, stop and tell me, and I could help you get the authentic file.)
  10. That's it, UpdatePack7R2 should begin working now. Please stay at the computer to see if it asks you anything before it restarts the computer. If it does ask you anything, allow it to do whatever it needs by clicking Yes/OK. If your computer restarts, then it's fine and you could leave it to work unattended. It would take a few restarts to work, not just one, and also sometimes your computer may start back up and you'll see a black background instead of your usual desktop with all your files, while it's still working. Don't worry, your files are still there, it happens and it should eventually restore your desktop or restart again and your files would be there again. When UpdatePack7R2 completely finishes its work, I don't remember actually if it opens a window saying that it finished or if it just closes and restarts your computer, so you'll just have to check back after a few hours to see if it's still going. If you see your desktop with all your files back and you don't see the window of UpdatePack7R2, then it's probably finished.
  11. Your computer should now be up-to-date, but you should make sure that Windows Update works automatically from this point to not be out-of-date again. (Here is a guide on how to do that.)
  12. Now try to connect to the SRB2 master server again.

Alright, let's bring your Windows 7 computer to an up-to-date state. Again, this would only be necessary once, and then you'll continue to receive updates from Microsoft automatically.
  1. You should dedicate something like 2 or 3 hours that you can leave your computer running without interruption.
  2. Download UpdatePack7R2 (by simplix; that is the direct download link; here is the homepage in Russian, it also has a magnet link if you have a BitTorrent program on your computer, unfortunately the SRB2 forum doesn't let me put the magnet link here without breaking it). Wait for the program to download completely before you continue.
  3. Open any folder, click on the Organize button at the top corner, click on "Folder and search options", switch to the second tab View, look for an option called something like "Hide extensions for known file types", and disable/untick it, and click OK. (Here is a guide.)
  5. Right-click on the icon of Avast in the notifications area at the bottom, and turn off Avast permanently (not for a few minutes, not until the next restart, but permanently until you'll right-click on it again and turn it back on). If you feel uneasy to do that, I suggest the following: Open Avast, start an update, do a quick scan (this might take some time though) and make sure it comes out clean or let Avast deal with anything it does find, right-click on UpdatePack7R2 and scan it with Avast (it should come out clean), disconnect from the Internet (you don't need Internet for UpdatePack7R2), and then turn off Avast permanently. This way you'd know that everything on the computer currently is clean and there's no way for anything further to get into your computer while Avast is turned off because there's no Internet access.
  6. Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, click on Properties at the bottom, find a button called Unblock (there should be one if you downloaded UpdatePack7R2 using the regular link on the Windows 7 computer), click it, and click on OK to save.
    Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, click on Rename, and this should select all of the file name excluding the .exe part at the end. Erase everything, including the .exe suffix, to leave the file name blank, then press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the new name, and then press Enter to save the name.
  8. If your Windows 7 computer is a laptop, connect it to a power source now, and leave it plugged in.
  9. Right-click on UpdatePack7R2, and click on Run as administrator at the top, with an icon of a blue-yellow shield.
    You should see a window popping up, called "User Account Control". The window will either have a blue-colored theme or a yellow-colored theme, and it should tell you what's the publisher of UpdatePack7R2. Click on Yes only if the window has a blue color and says that the verified publisher is Alexander Lomachevsky, or simplix.
    If the publisher has any other name, or the window is colored in yellow and says the publisher is unknown or unverified, then probably your download messed up and you must click on No. (I think it's possible that because your Windows 7 is so out-of-date that it could still think UpdatePack7R2 is unverified despite that it's the authentic file and not messed up. If that happens, stop and tell me, and I could help you get the authentic file.)
  10. That's it, UpdatePack7R2 should begin working now. Please stay at the computer to see if it asks you anything before it restarts the computer. If it does ask you anything, allow it to do whatever it needs by clicking Yes/OK. If your computer restarts, then it's fine and you could leave it to work unattended. It would take a few restarts to work, not just one, and also sometimes your computer may start back up and you'll see a black background instead of your usual desktop with all your files, while it's still working. Don't worry, your files are still there, it happens and it should eventually restore your desktop or restart again and your files would be there again. When UpdatePack7R2 completely finishes its work, I don't remember actually if it opens a window saying that it finished or if it just closes and restarts your computer, so you'll just have to check back after a few hours to see if it's still going. If you see your desktop with all your files back and you don't see the window of UpdatePack7R2, then it's probably finished.
  11. Your computer should now be up-to-date, but you should make sure that Windows Update works automatically from this point to not be out-of-date again. (Here is a guide on how to do that.)
do you know how to fix it with windows 10 too? i'm having the same problem.

what do i do if lights went out during the update

i mean electricity, like it went out while i was asleep, i left the pc updating while i went to sleep
Did you try turning on the computer and see what you get? Do you get any errors at all? Do you get to your usual desktop with no trace of the program doing something?

Did you try turning on the computer and see what you get? Do you get any errors at all? Do you get to your usual desktop with no trace of the program doing something?
well i managed to be able to join servers thru server list and now i can host servers

well i managed to be able to join servers thru server list and now i can host servers
By "managed" do you mean that found a workaround to bypass the issue, like looking up servers using your Web browser and telling your friends your IP address, or do you mean that installing the updates to Windows solved your issue? EDIT: Don't forget to turn Avast back on so you'll be protected.

By "managed" do you mean that found a workaround to bypass the issue, like looking up servers using your Web browser and telling your friends your IP address, or do you mean that installing the updates to Windows solved your issue? EDIT: Don't forget to turn Avast back on so you'll be protected.
the updates fixed it

the updates fixed it
I've just checked and the only thing I could gather is that the extended security updates for Windows 7 were only until January 2023, which is weird because Windows XP had five years of extended security updates past its End Of Life date, and UpdatePack7R2 is still updated it seems. So maybe after all you shouldn't rely on Windows Update and continue to use this program, there's also a small program you can download from here that always downloads the latest version of UpdatePack7R2. (There's already a new version from three days ago. The usual expectation is that it would be updated monthly.) Or you could upgrade to a better operating system.

I've just checked and the only thing I could gather is that the extended security updates for Windows 7 were only until January 2023, which is weird because Windows XP had five years of extended security updates past its End Of Life date, and UpdatePack7R2 is still updated it seems. So maybe after all you shouldn't rely on Windows Update and continue to use this program, there's also a small program you can download from here that always downloads the latest version of UpdatePack7R2. (There's already a new version from three days ago. The usual expectation is that it would be updated monthly.) Or you could upgrade to a better operating system.
got it, thanks

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back