Why do you think so many Brazilians are apart of the SRB2 Community?

HPR

HPR
This has been something on my mind for a bit, the reason is that srb2 is mainly English game and community. So a sizable amount of Brazilians in a game focused on English players seems odd to me. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so please, leave your thoughts below!

The game isn't focused on any one nationality. It's a game. Featuring a popular video game character. It's designed to appeal to many audiences

free and libre source

"o yea show me that sweet sweet gplv3 license" - some guy on /g/ who was definitely not talking about srb2

Last edited:
The game isn't focused on any one nationality. It's a game. Featuring a popular video game character. It's designed to appeal to many audiences
Fair enough, but the main srb2 disc does have a rule saying you need to speak English.

I will explain this to the best of my ability, but any Brazilians should feel free to chime in and correct me if needed.
My understanding is that Brazil has some...odd laws in place regarding video games. Some sort of tariffs or taxes on them. The result is that the majority of video games are prohibitively expensive. Therefore, many players in Brazil must turn to free software for their entertainment. Thus, many Brazilians get into fangames (like SRB2).
This probably isn't the full story, so I'll stay tuned and see what our lovely Brazilian players have to say.

I will explain this to the best of my ability, but any Brazilians should feel free to chime in and correct me if needed.
My understanding is that Brazil has some...odd laws in place regarding video games. Some sort of tariffs or taxes on them. The result is that the majority of video games are prohibitively expensive. Therefore, many players in Brazil must turn to free software for their entertainment. Thus, many Brazilians get into fangames (like SRB2).
This probably isn't the full story, so I'll stay tuned and see what our lovely Brazilian players have to say.
I can confirm about the law of video game tariffs. I completely forgot about that when asking this question

This has been something on my mind for a bit, the reason is that srb2 is mainly English game and community. So a sizable amount of Brazilians in a game focused on English players seems odd to me. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so please, leave your thoughts below!
I actually don't think this is an issue, once you know English language. If a Brazilian or any other person from other countries (such as Argentina or Chile, for example) but doesn't speak English, that's a problem because, depending on what he's actually saying, we can't do anything unless using Google Translate lol. Btw I don't even care where players come from, I mean they just play SRB2 like we all do so what's the problem?

I actually don't think this is an issue, once you know English language. If a Brazilian or any other person from other countries (such as Argentina or Chile, for example) but doesn't speak English, that's a problem because, depending on what he's actually saying, we can't do anything unless using Google Translate lol. Btw I don't even care where players come from, I mean they just play SRB2 like we all do so what's the problem?
There isn’t a problem. It’s just that a large part of the community hails from Brazil and he’s wondering why that is. This is a Human Geographical, Governmental, and Cultural based question that’s sort of in the same vein as “Why do some countries have less technological progression than others?” or “How come these areas of the United States have lower income than other areas?”

As someone who's gamed with a bunch of Brazilians for 5 years, I can confirm two things:

1. Their internet is and has always been shit. You can't really blame them, though! Most of the services over there are pretty crap (from what I've heard and read), and you're damn lucky if they could get a good connection with you.

2. They literally don't have any other options for gaming stores. Much of the consoles are obscenely expensive:
gITfu7G.png

...and anything SEGA has been archaic for the past two decades to say at least. Brazilians often go on the internet and search for pretty much anything, as long as they can game.

SRB2 just so happens to be a freeware "full game" where it's Sonic Adventure but, well, not piss expensive and doesn't have one song repeating over and over. You go through this cycle over and over and over and over for 10 years and you have yourself a community.

If Tapas.io is the site for Brazilians to jam out to yaoi and BL, then the SRB2 Forums is the place to jam out to "Sonic but free".

yea theres a lot of brazilian on srb2 but we cant forget the russians as there a pretty good number of them... and only few speaks english

Not gonna lie, I always wanted to learn Portuguese and Spanish purely for the sake that way, way too many game servers- not just SRB2, but games like TF2 and whatnot- have players that speak these two languages, so I understand why this thread is a thing. I just wanna join in more! But yeah, most people out there do have to resort to free games, emulation and piracy as their prices are insane.

yea theres a lot of brazilian on srb2 but we cant forget the russians as there a pretty good number of them... and only few speaks english

there are not so many Russians, about ~15-20 people (of those who are active)

Not gonna lie, I always wanted to learn Portuguese and Spanish purely for the sake that way, way too many game servers- not just SRB2, but games like TF2 and whatnot- have players that speak these two languages, so I understand why this thread is a thing. I just wanna join in more! But yeah, most people out there do have to resort to free games, emulation and piracy as their prices are insane.

I agree about TF2. I have seen many Brazilians on English, Russian and even in Chinese servers. I have always wondered why there are so many of them and why they go to foreign language servers.

I mean, not only brazilians, a lot of people from different countries are in the community.
Spanish, Russians, and IIRC even Japenese/Chinese people.

I think there are some enviromental factors. I'm brazilian and discovered Sonic when I was a baby. The first thing is that in the 90's, SEGA made a partnership with a company called TecToy, TecToy became the marketers of SEGA in Brazil. The fact that Nintendo didn't give a fuck about Brazil at the time (still doesn't) made Tectoy's job of advertisement even easier. Because of that, the Master System and the Sega Genesis (called Mega Drive in Brazil) took over the market and Sonic became way more popular than Mario for a long time.

With a community so attached to a character, it's not surprising to see how many brazilians there are in the Sonic fandom.

Because Sega was very popular in South America.

Just take a look at Tectoy's history and how they came up with the Master System 3 and Mega Drive 4.

That's also a factor, but we usually go for piracy. It's very rare to see original PS2 games in Brazil for example

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back