Why do people portleg? (Srb2 at least.)

Soniku11

While i do know several reasons, i wanna spark up some friendly debate, to know what in your personal opinion and experiences, are the reasons to why there is people who portleg, taking mods and editing them without the creators permission

I think people wanna re-experience some old 2.1 (maybe even further back) classics.
I'm sure you remember the Inazuma Portleg.
:blink:

I think people wanna re-experience some old 2.1 (maybe even further back) classics.
I'm sure you remember the Inazuma Portleg.
:blink:
Yeah, and which its funnier about this, its that when the original mod released, WS admins deleted it right away, since they posted it themselves on the Workshop.

Cant guarantee there would be another sites that will do the same, but its funny that even the WS has standards and respect for the creators.

Im yet to know any case where someone steals some shit because theyre too lazy to learn or do something themselves, and then proceed to take an already made mod, changing the name, something small, or nothing at all, and then proceed to post it somewhere else taking full credits for it.

I started on Srb2 since 2015 and while i havent been involved that much till a few years after with the community, i did saw a lot of cases where people do it with good intents, because they liked the mod and wanted it on the most recent version, but the original creator either dont exist anymore, or refuses to do it themselves

some folks are either too impatient to wait for it to be ported officially or dont wanna ask for permission from the original mod creator for some reason to port it themselves. idk thats what i think anyway, it cant be that hard to ask someone for permission right? i can understand if either they have anxiety (i know i do when talking to other people) or if the person cant be contacted for whatever reason, but its good to at least try.

some folks are either too impatient to wait for it to be ported officially or dont wanna ask for permission from the original mod creator for some reason to port it themselves. idk thats what i think anyway, it cant be that hard to ask someone for permission right? i can understand if either they have anxiety (i know i do when talking to other people) or if the person cant be contacted for whatever reason, but its good to at least try.
Well, about that, theres someone who did exactly that.

A certain husky who got in trouble because didnt knew better, and didnt knew about patience.

huh so thats why they were banned, so i guess i was somewhat right.
Yeah, Dirk got quite in a big trouble by trying to do something with the combi ring team by himself alone, because he didnt wanted to wait anymore, thus stealing content, and sinning from very unpatient, because it didnt ended just in there.

Thats as far as i know, from what ive heard this whole time about Dirk's situation

Technically, it's not editing/porting/etc. without the original artist's permission that's considered problematic, but rather publishing these modified versions without permission. Basically, you'll probably get in trouble if you get caught sharing unofficial portlegs with others. Nobody can stop you from making them for personal use, just make sure they don't leak if you do.

Wait, what happened then?
Just as i mentioned, only i remember about dirk's case, its just that, the fact that he took content from the combi rings team, then started working on it by himself, trying to "accelerate" the development proccess, thus ending on stealing content, and he also was a bit dense because his impatience.

Correct me if im wrong, but that is as far as i have been told, and i also remember too.

Just as i mentioned, only i remember about dirk's case, its just that, the fact that he took content from the combi rings team, then started working on it by himself, trying to "accelerate" the development proccess, thus ending on stealing content, and he also was a bit dense because his impatience.

Correct me if im wrong, but that is as far as i have been told, and i also remember too.
Dirk was also tracing art and refused to stop when asked.

oooh, okay. :threat:

back on topic, not giving any portlegs praise, but there was that one SUGOI port that was goodish enough
Yeah im not gonna dip into that rabbit hole, thanks you. I dont wanna be banned by recommending people to play portlegs or anything like that.

Discuss that at your own risk, dont count me in on that.

Yeah im not gonna dip into that rabbit hole, thanks you. I dont wanna be banned by recommending people to play portlegs or anything like that.

Discuss that at your own risk, dont count me in on that.
shit, sorry, deleting it now

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back