Why are there so many Sonics?

GentlemanOctopus

Aquatic OC enthusiast
Especially, it seems, in the modding forums, and all around the youtube modding scene. There a lot of Sonics being made, any particular reason why it's always Sonic?

I think the main reason why is that there’s multiple styles of Sonic. We have Vanilla Sonic from SRB2, we have Modern Sonic who’s based on the Boost formula games, Earless who’s based on SRB1, Bandages who’s from Sonic Boom and Junio Sonic who’s based on CD’s intro that was animated by Junio, just to name a few that are currently available. The ones that don’t have any unique sprites are simply just Sonic with different abilities, often being based on abilities from multiple games or from the author’s imagination. Four upcoming Sonic’s that are currently in development are two Adventure Sonics based on appearances in SA, SA2, and Heroes, one’s developed by BlueBlur and another one by MetalWario64, Sonic X based on Sonic X also by BlueBlur, and Chili Dog by yours truly, based on his appearance from TerminalMontage’s Something Series.

I believe it boils down to the fact that everyone has their own individual interpretation of what Sonic should play like. Each incarnation of Sonic (classic, modern, cartoon, movie, etc) can then be interpreted yet another way. Each artist may then interpret the way Sonic should look in a different way.

It seems silly at first, but for many creators, making their own Sonic is something of a right of passage; a way to exercise and improve their skills before moving on to more unique projects.

I believe it boils down to the fact that everyone has their own individual interpretation of what Sonic should play like. Each incarnation of Sonic (classic, modern, cartoon, movie, etc) can then be interpreted yet another way. Each artist may then interpret the way Sonic should look in a different way.

It seems silly at first, but for many creators, making their own Sonic is something of a right of passage; a way to exercise and improve their skills before moving on to more unique projects.
Yeah, I can get that. Sonic is probably one of the more versatile characters when it comes to creating a moveset since there's a lot of media to pull ideas from.

I think the main reason why is that there’s multiple styles of Sonic. We have Vanilla Sonic from SRB2, we have Modern Sonic who’s based on the Boost formula games, Earless who’s based on SRB1, Bandages who’s from Sonic Boom and Junio Sonic who’s based on CD’s intro that was animated by Junio, just to name a few that are currently available. The ones that don’t have any unique sprites are simply just Sonic with different abilities, often being based on abilities from multiple games or from the author’s imagination. Four upcoming Sonic’s that are currently in development are two Adventure Sonics based on appearances in SA, SA2, and Heroes, one’s developed by BlueBlur and another one by MetalWario64, Sonic X based on Sonic X also by BlueBlur, and Chili Dog by yours truly, based on his appearance from TerminalMontage’s Something Series.
I'm honestly looking forward to the Adventure sonics, since I grew up playing those two.

Because he's the main character of the franchise.

If you want other characters you can make them yourself, you cannot stop others from making alternative versions of him.

Honestly, I also find it a little silly that such a large portion of SRB2 character mods are variants of Sonic. There's so many that I can't even remember half the time which is which! But it's easy to see why that is—Sonic's moveset has varied wildly across Sonic games, and he has had many, many different moves and abilities to his name over the years. This means that each person has their own interpretation on the ideal version of Sonic.

I do think that some of the energy spent making on all those different Sonic mods would be perhaps better spent on unique character mods. Who's to say speed-oriented abilities need to be on a Sonic mod specifically? But if people want to make alternate Sonic mods, then so be it.

It’s actually this very topic that I’m going to use as a joke if I ever get around to making Something About SRB2

Honestly, I also find it a little silly that such a large portion of SRB2 character mods are variants of Sonic. There's so many that I can't even remember half the time which is which! But it's easy to see why that is—Sonic's moveset has varied wildly across Sonic games, and he has had many, many different moves and abilities to his name over the years. This means that each person has their own interpretation on the ideal version of Sonic.

I do think that some of the energy spent making on all those different Sonic mods would be perhaps better spent on unique character mods. Who's to say speed-oriented abilities need to be on a Sonic mod specifically? But if people want to make alternate Sonic mods, then so be it.
TBH, I made a Sonic mod... primarily because I can't currently make 100+ SRB2-style sprites. I do see what you mean, though, of course.

This is on point. Every custom Sonic is a creator's personal interpretation of the mascot, and that interpretation comes with wildly varying artistic flare and gameplay designs as a result. As someone who makes music videogame covers, I can say from personal experience that interpretation itself a form of artistic expression; it's also a good way to test the waters working with someone else's core design before making something fully original on your own.

I joke about there being too many Sonics, but really, I think people people undersell how diverse our character releases really are. Spritists/modders are constantly coming out with incredibly polished original characters and other videogame characters at such an alarming rate that it really drowns out the noise of a new Sonic being made. If you think of Sonic as more of a "genre" of character modding, then I think it's easier to appreciate their differences.

Well the way I see it Sonic is the coolest character so why not.
Post automatically merged:

This is on point. Every custom Sonic is a creator's personal interpretation of the mascot, and that interpretation comes with wildly varying artistic flare and gameplay designs as a result. As someone who makes music videogame covers, I can say from personal experience that interpretation itself a form of artistic expression; it's also a good way to test the waters working with someone else's core design before making something fully original on your own.

I joke about there being too many Sonics, but really, I think people people undersell how diverse our character releases really are. Spritists/modders are constantly coming out with incredibly polished original characters and other videogame characters at such an alarming rate that it really drowns out the noise of a new Sonic being made. If you think of Sonic as more of a "genre" of character modding, then I think it's easier to appreciate their differences.
I rarely even touch vanilla Sonic anymore, because Bandages is so cool. I love all the Sonic and everything else. It let's people express themselves.

the game is called SONIC robo blast 2. but realistically, sonic is made in millions of versions because... well... he's a favorite. everybody loves him. he's just pure sarcasm and cool. (until forces came around.)

the game is called SONIC robo blast 2. but realistically, sonic is made in millions of versions because... well... he's a favorite. everybody loves him. he's just pure sarcasm and cool. (until forces came around.)
How can one argue with a genius statement like this? Truly, this is peak humanity right here. /j

On that topic, Sonic might be the most malleable character in the series. There are so many interpretations of him, not just from this forum, but from the community at large as well as from official developers/studios/etc.

Is this thread made to ask for an Adventure Sonic mod?

Also Modern Sonic is already made so you already have him.
In the "What if Sonic stopped being made" Thread you made, we come to the point of talking about 2d pixelated Sonic games lol, it may be off topic but its just a single short message talking about The new adventure sonic, that's all...

Is this thread made to ask for an Adventure Sonic mod?

Also Modern Sonic is already made so you already have him.
...What? No, this thread isn't intended to ask for the Adventure Sonic mods either, I just stated I was looking forward to them releasing, is all. This thread was literally just created out of my own curiosity.

Especially, it seems, in the modding forums, and all around the youtube modding scene. There a lot of Sonics being made, any particular reason why it's always Sonic?
Most sonics have lua abilities and some small sprite changes. Mainly cos spriting new characters can taking ages whereas making lua abilities are slightly easier to do.

It could also be people just... really like making their own sonic.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back