Which files are Required to be backed up When you disc scrub

Status
Not open for further replies.

UruZingLo

Zero out of Ten
I am planning on disc srubbing my laptop since its a pretty much slow failure(It barely has any gb thanks to all the crap that was on it when it was handed down to me) and I needed to know what are all the files I need to back-up so that everything still works and nothing messes up after the scrubbing. Also after the disk scrub will I lose all my gb, or will it return to normal?

You get most of the stock stuff on a laptop if you use the supplied recovery CDs, in which case you just need to back up your important data, usually this comprises of your documents, pictures, music, etc, as well as any game data you may wish to withhold such as your SRB2 folder.

Yep, just backup anything important.

I have to say though, if you're planning to do that it's probably better to try and clean it out, rather then completely wipe it.

For starters, get CCleaner and run it; it's free and it will very much cleanup your system.

Secondly, run Disk Cleanup and disk defrag, then uninstall any programs you're sure you don't need.

A complete anti-virus and anti-spyware scan would be good too.

Finally, download a filesystem graphing program like JDiskReport and use it to find the fat in your system and delete it :D

Okay so if I go with using CCleaner and Jdiskreport(It seems like a way better plan then wiping my hardrive) Will I still need to back up all my important files?

UruZingLo said:
Okay so if I go with using CCleaner and Jdiskreport(It seems like a way better plan then wiping my hardrive) Will I still need to back up all my important files?

Nope.

CCleaner cleans out messed up registry files (which tend to slow down computers ALOT) and cleans out internet history and all that built up crap that 'Clear Private Data' didn't clean.

:O

Thanks, CCleaner and Jdiskreport surely did help(My temp files are cleaned) and Now I know what I need to delete so I can have half my Gigabytes back. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back