What's In Store For v2.2.10(Back Open)

Is there even gonna be a 2.2.9? Three-digit releases are for patches or tiny changes, while two-digit releases add features. Last I checked we don't really need any small fixes to .8.

Is there even gonna be a 2.2.9? Three-digit releases are for patches or tiny changes, while two-digit releases add features. Last I checked we don't really need any small fixes to .8.

There will be a 2.2.9, as confirmed already. In SRB2, the version numbering system is slightly different.

The 1st number is really only incremented at truly major milestones (such as the game getting a true final boss.)
The 2nd number are major versions, changing major features, adding levels, etc.
The 3rd number is for patches and feature adding that doesn't count as a major version.

As such, 2.2.9 would add some minor features and fix some SRB2 issues.

And trust me, 2.2.8 has numerous bugs that need fixed. Hi-res rollangle performance is an example. OH, and more Lua lag will be removed. And sprites will be able to replicate floors and ceilings.

But wouldn't sprites having full, sector-like collision be a major feature?

There isn't enough major features, and there isn't enough of a game transformation for them to make it 2.3. They want 2.3 to be this massive update where they rework the game completely. Making it 2.3 just because they added one feature goes against their ideals for what qualifies at 2.3.

There isn't enough major features, and there isn't enough of a game transformation for them to make it 2.3. They want 2.3 to be this massive update where they rework the game completely. Making it 2.3 just because they added one feature goes against their ideals for what qualifies at 2.3.

Your right and wrong and both ways, while yes every major update of the game reworks the game completely, but they actually do leave some old things in the game, take 2.1 for example, while Sonic and Tails stayed the same Knuckles got a complete new redesign with new animations, Sprites won't always change. While having new Character Sprite Redesigns would be cool it isn't always what the devs are going for, and I think they are striving for something greater.

Your right and wrong and both ways, while yes every major update of the game reworks the game completely, but they actually do leave some old things in the game, take 2.1 for example, while Sonic and Tails stayed the same Knuckles got a complete new redesign with new animations, Sprites won't always change. While having new Character Sprite Redesigns would be cool it isn't always what the devs are going for, and I think they are striving for something greater.

... I'm reciting the devs themselves. They're completely reworking the physics in 2.3, dude. Sprites aren't always what "completely redoing the game" means. I know how these things work. Have you noticed the sheer amount of references to Final Demo CEZ and 2.1 CEZ in CEZ2, for example?

For an example of that question:
- The starting area is a reference to the starting area of FD CEZ2. Note the presence of stairs and a powerup on the left. This was the same in Final Demo. Also, note the overhangs.
- The courtyard is a reference to Final Demo, outright. There's even buttons hidden around (which don't work now), like in Final Demo, and one of the paths even has a similar well as to Final Demo CEZ2, with even the same powerup hidden within. Heck, one of the paths (the one with the many stairs) out of the courtyard is DIRECTLY from Final Demo.
- A picture of the "scrapped" ending to CEZ2 has many similarities to the ending of 2.1 CEZ2.

Of course, they keep some stuff in, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. Also, not every major version completely reworked the game. 2.1 was closer to 2.0 than 2.2 in terms of gameplay and artstyle. 2.0 completely changed the game by adding ACZ, RVZ, and ERZ, and redoing CEZ. 2.1 did some minor cleanup and such.

2.2 then changed the game completely.

2.3 will be redoing the physics, finishing CEZ2, more than likely finishing a DSZ2 remake, adding RVZ2 and RVZ3, remaking ERZ, some general tweaks, AND on top of all that, adding technical stuff as well. This is the sort of stuff that defines a major update.

EDIT: I see this thread got silently moved. Nice.

Last edited:
Moved this thread to the appropriate subforum.

Yes, 2.2.9 exists and is near prerelease phase. No, it does not feature any of the changes speculated in the original post. What features and bugfixes go in between patch cycle can be publicly inspected in SRB2's GitLab repo, as well as the Git feed channel in our Discord server. A proper changelog is underway, but 2.2.9 focuses mostly on new sprite rendering features for modders, along with renderer and gamelogic optimizations.

We do not add new content or gameplay changing features in patches.

Moved this thread to the appropriate subforum.

Yes, 2.2.9 exists and is near prerelease phase. No, it does not feature any of the changes speculated in the original post. What features and bugfixes go in between patch cycle can be publicly inspected in SRB2's GitLab repo, as well as the Git feed channel in our Discord server. A proper changelog is underway, but 2.2.9 focuses mostly on new sprite rendering features for modders, along with renderer and gamelogic optimizations.

We do not add new content or gameplay changing features in patches.

I see, but do you think that they might fix some things in the SRB2 Master Server? I remember joining a Plain Vanilla server that had about 24 people and everyone had solid ping, yet we still had multiple synch failures and people talking about Getting Sigesev, Is it possible the netcode might get a small change? (btw do you know if they fix the Sigsev open gl problem)

(Btw I saw it got moved, neat)

Last edited:
I remember joining a Plain Vanilla server that had about 24 people and everyone had solid ping, yet we still had multiple synch failures and people talking about Getting Sigesev, Is it possible the netcode might get a small change?

Not all sync failures or SIGSEGVs have to do with latency, or faulty netcode: most of the time poorly written parts of the gamelogic are the culprit. In case of SIGSEGVs that are consistent, you can submit your srb2win.RPT files (they're usually inside your game folder after a crash) to our crash report thread so we can analyze the cause.

There's little reason to get excited or antsy for a 2.2 patch unless you're a modder or level designer. Sometimes a few new gameplay features have come with patches, like Super Knuckles or the revamped bubble shield, but most of the time it's just bug fixes. The next major update won't be until 2.3 (which might end up being named 3.0 depending on how things go, since the master server issues that prevented 2.2 from being called 3.0 have been fixed).

Also worth noting that 2.2.9 won't necessarily be followed by 2.3. The next 2.2 patch after 2.2.9, if there is one, would be called 2.2.10, much like how 2.1 patches went all the way up to 2.1.25.

There's little reason to get excited or antsy for a 2.2 patch unless you're a modder or level designer. Sometimes a few new gameplay features have come with patches, like Super Knuckles or the revamped bubble shield, but most of the time it's just bug fixes. The next major update won't be until 2.3 (which might end up being named 3.0 depending on how things go, since the master server issues that prevented 2.2 from being called 3.0 have been fixed).

Also worth noting that 2.2.9 won't necessarily be followed by 2.3. The next 2.2 patch after 2.2.9, if there is one, would be called 2.2.10, much like how 2.1 patches went all the way up to 2.1.25.

Yeah I agree, 2.1 Kinda increased the games popularity by a lot and modding increased a whole bunch of it's release, 2.1 kinda gave some srb2 players life thanks to the game.

Wait loops are confirmed for 2.3 ? Why ?
Loops aren't worth the work as like said without camera tweak or forced spin you need way more sprites.
Also that don't work well on 3D. It's easy to skip it and yes it's interesting to see but that all.

Loops aren't worth the work as like said without camera tweak or forced spin you need way more sprites.
Also that don't work well on 3D. It's easy to skip it and yes it's interesting to see but that all.

Well like I said a few messages back 2.3 is gonna be a major update when they rework everything, Loops are confirmed for 2.3 and we won't have 2.3 for about another 4-5 years so they have plenty of time to work on it, 2.1 lasted for 5 years so 2.2 might also

In regards to how loops will work, my guess is they will do two things: Update the camera to be able to follow the player upside down, and rotate the sprites for other players viewing them from the side. I'd expect in 2.5D, the sprites would just rotate without the camera going upside down.

In regards to being able to skip them, that depends on how the loop is implemented. A longer screw-shaped loop suspended over a bottomless pit that has enough space between the "bottom" parts to make just jumping from one to the next difficult could force players to take the loop properly, for example. There's other ways of implementing similar ideas as well. In some instances however, being able to just skip the loops could be an intentional design decision, with goodies placed at the top of the loop on the underside for players who choose to take them or the actual top of the loop being used in the platforming of another path.

Overall, if they can get loops working then I don't see any downsides to implementing them. There's ways of getting around the sprite problem, so it's really just a matter of how the physics react to it and how they make the camera work. There's a lot of time for them to get that all figured out, tested, and polished, so I'm not really worried about it.

Now that you talk about it for other players that will not work as unless you have a very specific camera angle you need more sprite so for other players unless the camera rotation is applied on them which will be really annoying you need more sprite

Now that you talk about it for other players that will not work as unless you have a very specific camera angle you need more sprite so for other players unless the camera rotation is applied on them which will be really annoying you need more sprite

We’ve already discussed that sprites aren’t an issue. Sprites are literally the easiest thing to do when making a new mechanic. The main focus of an update is a physics overhaul, which for 2.3 would include loops

:knuxsmug:I suspect they will add the ability to customize character color (outside of multiplayer) and maybe make the master server better
Post automatically merged:

Huh? Is that a rule? I mean yeah, 2.6 and 2.3 weren't very major, but I don't think it's DEFINITELY gonna be a super small patch. Oh well, its not going to be super huge so whatever.

Last edited:
:knuxsmug:I suspect they will add the ability to customize character color (outside of multiplayer) and maybe make the master server better
Post automatically merged:

Huh? Is that a rule? I mean yeah, 2.6 and 2.3 weren't very major, but I don't think it's DEFINITELY gonna be a super small patch. Oh well, its not going to be super huge so whatever.
how you DARE, 2.2.9 will have a lot of things, finnaly fixed those fucking blinking color errors in OpenGL, something that for me is REALLY BIG for just a patch.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back