What would happen if STJr takes over Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Now, I'm sure this will never happen, but if it did, what do you think would happen to the Sonic we all know?

My parents once suggested that I apply for a job at SEGA, but I simply told them that if I was hired, they wouldn't allow me to do what was needed.

If Sonic Team Jr took over Sega, Sonic would become the best game ever made, the games would be extremely amazing (I assume STJr gets control over all the employees at Sega, meaning they have a lot more of people to do the job), and maybe they would even get so much money with good games that Sega would be able to make a new console again and get over the rest of them :)

That's because Sega's employees are being dumb. I wish Sega would do the following:

* Stop freaking making new characters. We hardcore fans are sick of it. Almost all the new ones are just useless. If they want to release another character, then they should get Naoto Ohshima to allow another game with Mighty, even if just one, because there are some of us who want him back.
* Read Level Design 101. They're just not good at making levels anymore. Even their 2D levels are starting to get worse. When Sonic can run at full speed for 90% of a level, that tends to make the level utterly BLAND. Sonic's ability to go full speed should be pushed down to 10-15% of the level.
* Stop making stupid plots. Simplicity can be good, thank you.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
* Stop freaking making new characters. We hardcore fans are sick of it. Almost all the new ones are just useless. If they want to release another character, then they should get Naoto Ohshima to allow another game with Mighty, even if just one, because there are some of us who want him back.
* Read Level Design 101. They're just not good at making levels anymore. Even their 2D levels are starting to get worse. When Sonic can run at full speed for 90% of a level, that tends to make the level utterly BLAND. Sonic's ability to go full speed should be pushed down to 10-15% of the level.
* Stop making stupid plots. Simplicity can be good, thank you.
The worst thing of this is that most fangames actually do all the bad things you mentioned D: While we blame Sega for making those games, they're just doing what most fangames do, through with better hardware usage. Please tell me the number of fanmade characters in fangames :/

SRB2wikiSonicMaster, your first post does contradict a few people's fangames.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4, would become our Sonic Next Gen. With the awesome platforming things from the classics. Instead of the flatness they have now.

What would really happen is that no games would come out. They would only come out "when its done"™.

And OpenGL won't be supported kthxbie...*shot*

If they want to release another character, then they should get Naoto Ohshima to allow another game with Mighty, even if just one, because there are some of us who want him back.

Please don't encourage them to ruin the character of Mighty... let him stay in obscurity while his reputation remains unstained! ;_;

Anyways, I think the most help STJr could give would be to establish a "When its done" policy on releasing games.

You joke about the "when it's done" thingy, but the case would be different here: SRB2 is made in the little spare time the developers have, while an official game would be made in their work time which is way bigger, they would get money to fund the development and also there would be a lot more of people involved in it. So the game would be finished a lot faster.

Every Sega game would include a netgame feature. All on Cue's MS. *shot*

Mystic actually sounds like a really great person for Sega. I can see it now...

VG newz said:
Ben Geyer makes Mystic Realm 2 a success.

The programmers will take over 10 years to make something on an outdated FPS engine. The game will ditch many Sonic staples like speed and exciting gameplay, and play too much like a first-person shooter.

Does anyone else think that the idea of STjr taking over Sega is highly overrated? It's not going to make things any better. How does a small group of fans make better games than a huge team of programmers, artists, marketers, musicians and voice actors? Especially when STjr includes one programmer who is by no means perfect, someone who's way to insane for his own good, and someone who doesn't even play Sonic anymore (and the rest). The games have been on the decline lately, but that doesn't mean their games suck. Games by Data Design suck, not Sega/Sonic Team. Sega and Sonic Team actually make pretty good games, but the entire Sonic fan community is just blinded by one thing after another.

The games have been declining, yes, but they are still playable. All we need to do is try their games out and notify them of their mistakes so they can create a better game next time. That's what professional game critics are for. That's what any kind of critic is for.

Even with the games declining, we know Sega is learning from their mistakes, by trying new strategies to improve the series, such as the classic feel that Sonic Heroes attempted to have. They tried minimising the amount of characters in Sonic and the Secret Rings. And they tried going back to their roots altogether in Sonic Rush Adventure. And the general Sonic community just went "BAAAWWWWWWW" and threw their efforts back in their face because the physics sucked, or you couldn't explore enough, or a level had one too many death pits. You're only confusing Sega, you know. That's why the games can't decide what to be like, meaning each modern game has a distinctly different feel to it.

Now re-re-redefining Sonic with their next big title, Sonic Unleashed. Judging by the teaser trailers, Sonic Unleashed actually looks like it improves on several things. The game looks colourful, fast and most importantly, fun. But are you going to throw it in their faces too for some reason like "Sonic's shoes are too big" or "Sonic was too shiny" or "There's this one glitch where the platform is 1cm too long and it makes the game too easy". Stop complaning, you guys. They're working on bring Sonic back.

And the new characters aren't so bad either. Tails, Knuckles and Amy have become a staple for the series more or less now, and you gotta remember that these guys were new characters once too.

Shadow is a great character, and even though Metal Sonic filled his role way before Shadow's introduction, Shadow actually is more suited to be Sonic's match, being equal in power to Sonic. Whilst he should have left after Sonic Adventure 2, I don't really mind anyway, as Shadow is actually one of my favorite characters besides Sonic, Tails, Knux and Amy. Shadow is by no means a staple or even a necessary character (esepecially with the Metal Sonic thing I just said), but I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon.

Not all characters have to come back again and again. Some characters are only around for one game, or a series of games, like Tikal or Jet. And even characters that keep returning like Rouge and Silver don't seem to be affecting the series that much. They've only been around for a few games. The only real problem here is character development, which I totally agree on. Hopefully Sonic RPG should take care of this, if not paving the way for future storyline scripts.

And I don't see anything wrong with having many characters anyway. All good universes need to be expansive, like Star Wars and Mario. Having many locations and characters keeps the series fresh and keeps the universe expanding more and more. And besides, the games aren't as bad as the comics in that sense anyway. There are way more new characters including walruses and dragons and twice the amount of echidnas.

I'm sorry to not be kissing Sonic Team Jr's various asses in this thread, but I actually think that if STjr took over Sega, that things will be much worse.

I feel that the only "worse" thing would be people annoyed at "Hey, these are amateur game makers." If the series starts being better, though, then Sega will be put to shame. The thing we really lack in is professional programming. We have the concepts and the mapping skill down.

If STJr took over Sega, a professional programmer WOULD be hired to make a new engine. It could be one that's true 3D (and I mean true 3D) but would be mapped out in almost the same fashion. The difference would be stuff like loops and slopes and dynamic cut-away views. Our great mappers--for example, Mystic, FuriousFox, BlueZero4, and Digiku--could make maps in a familiar map editor. Then they don't have to waste time trying to hassle with a complex one. They'd be on a schedule, too, so it'd go faster. Since they are also Sonic gamers, they could rate each other's maps quite nicely.

SRB2 is a platformer by 1P and a shooter by multiplayer. As long as Sonic doesn't evolve into an FPS entirely, STJr's executive decisions and mapping skills would be great for the Sonic series.

If STJr took over Sega, a professional programmer WOULD be hired to make a new engine. It could be one that's true 3D (and I mean true 3D) but would be mapped out in almost the same fashion. The difference would be stuff like loops and slopes and dynamic cut-away views. Our great mappers--for example, Mystic, FuriousFox, BlueZero4, and Digiku--could make maps in a familiar map editor. Then they don't have to waste time trying to hassle with a complex one. They'd be on a schedule, too, so it'd go faster. Since they are also Sonic gamers, they could rate each other's maps quite nicely.
You're forgetting something I'm gonna repeat, they would be making the game in their work time, not their spare time. Definitely this is way more time, and in fact they have a lot more of resources, moreover, they would get paid for doing it, and that's an incentive. While SRB2 is taking 10 years the way it's done, there it would require just a few months to be completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back