What will the last version of srb2 be like

elfadorew

Hey guys elfadorew here so we've all been playing srb2 for a long time now and there's been so many updates on this game so I wonder what will be in the final version of srb2 because I have been playing this game since version 2.2.8 on my PC and curious so what do you guys think.

That's really hard to predict. Even aside from the fact that there's no reliable way of predicting which version will even be the last one (Even when the game is considered "done" it's hard to say there won't be any further bugfixes or another team who picks the game up to add in their own improvements), it's hard to know what will become possible by the time the true final version comes out. There was once a time when it was considered impossible to implement slopes, so if the SRB2 community has learned anything it's "never say never".

If I had to make a guess, although I don't think most people including myself and even those in the dev team would prefer for it to come to this, I have a feeling that eventually OpenGL mode with models enabled is going to need to be made mandatory to get around the limitations of using sprites for the characters. After all, it appears that advancements are being made in what the engine is capable of such as making proper loops possible, and if it gets to the point where there's a good gameplay reason to implement such a thing it seems logical for it to take priority over preserving the art style when said art style is presenting implementation issues even if we'd all be sad to see the sprites go. Models simply just don't have the same issue with needing to be animated from an ungodly number of different perspectives to look decent on dynamic terrain.

Well it would have menus, Dark City Zone, Doomship (or Grand Eggship), a remade ERZ, remade DSZ2, a different final boss (as Brak would be relegated to Dark City), more polish and things in levels, and Red Volcano act 2 and 3.

Wild guess but:

All planned zones added

ERZ 2.2 remake finished

If the gifs of new slope physics are true maybe even another remake of the entire SP Campaign to accommodate those new physics

I wanna say something negative here

Alright, I'll say it. You're probably playing it right now.

Last edited:
Well I know it will be awesome but I'm not sure 3d models should be made mandatory because so many characters already made with sprites they can,t just make 3d models for all of them but do know that this game is so cool that is so cool it's not going to fade away for a very long time.

WARNING: IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THROUGH THE ENTIERTY OF THE POST,JUST SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEXT POST

Its hard to say,since most posts here say something that could be planned for 2.3,not the complete version. So what im gonna say of what the complete SRB2 is are in these parts:

Part 1
Singleplayer Campaign
-All planned stages: Dark City,Grand Eggship (previously named Doom Ship,but changed because its nickname is the same as the Deep Sea one),and ERZ Remake
-True Final Boss level like in S3&K
-Loops added in few zones (GreenFlower,Techno Hill and Arid Canyon)

Quality Of Life Changes
-Proper menus
-Better presentation (Act Trasitions,Cutscenes; you get it)
-Allow to view the list for Secrets you have/need to unlock in the Menu

Additional Content
-7th character: Espio The Chameleon,unlocked by completing all Challenge Levels
*He has Wallrun and Double Jump, allowing him to go through 50% most of the routes the current 6 characters can go through.

8th character: Super Mario,by completing Pipe Towers.
*Has basic moveset:
Double Jump (works like in SM64), Wall Jump (has the special limit of 5 wall jumps per the first use [this means you can wall jump on 2 walls 2 times and a half],so it wont be broken) and Ground-Pound (works only on breakable floors)

-Removed Challenge Stages:
*Aerial Garden
*Azure Temple

-New Challenge Stages:
*Cupcake Bonanza Zone,a world with cupcakes of all sizes,shapes and kinds,but also attacked by Jetty-Sins!
*Ultimate Castle Eggman Zone (with the description of "Gauntlet Mode"),a gauntlet of all Castle Eggman levels of its history,featuring sections of 1.94,2.0/2.1,2.2 and Forest Fortress all in one (but some of them are balanced to be easier or harder).
*Space Calamity Zone, the remnats of Sky Base [from 8-Bit Sonic 1] and Wing Fortress being shifted in space because of Ring Satellite's actions (the satellite from SRB1).

Part 2
Singleplayer Campaign
-THZ3 gets a transition to DSZ where the train you were on crashes and you go through a cave which leads Deep Sea Act 1
-DSZ transition is a whole new act: Badnik Sewer Zone,which at the end leads to CEZ
-CEZ2 gets finished
-ACZ2 receives 2 new sections:
*1 You go on loops while inside a rail when you exit out of the cave
*2 At the ending,you get to a train station,which leads to Act 3
-RVZ gets 2 more acts,with a transition to Dark City
-ERZ2 gets a new transition because of the change below:
-BCZ1 is removed,and BCZ2 becomes Egg Rock Act 3,with BCZ3 being a standalone zone

Quality of Life Changes
- Sonic's Speed Thok gets unfortunately removed and replaced by Power Spin. However,you can switch Sonic's abillity to either be the thok or Power Spin in a new category for options. I'll mention it later.
-While loading into a Multiplayer server,you can choose an option to play a minigame until you load in. Minigame is called Whack-A-Minus,where you do what the Minigame title says.Your next a Whack-A-Mole machine which has Minus instead,so you have to whack as much of them as possible in 30 seconds.However,if you play the minigame and the server loads,you will be loaded into the server,and your score is 0.
-Bosses now have a hud,with their name and hitpoints left to beat.Opon reaching Pinch Mode,the remaining hit points turn from yellow to red.

Reworks
-Metal Sonic's hover gets reworked,and the name is Electri-Float.Now,you float for a while with an electricity shield around you. After the the time for floating is over,he falls down with a new abillity:
*Holding the jump button while falling allows you to do the Speed-Pound,which allows you to get down more faster,leaving a little electricity circle around him upon getting on the ground (works like the Elemental Shield)
*Not pressing anything while falling does nothing special; you just fall
-Ultimate Mode remains in the game,but you get a single countinue if you beat a certain zone with a single Chaos Emerald gotten inside it.For example,if you get a Chaos Emerald in THZ and beat Act 3,you get a countinue. This shuld make the mode a bit easier,but still challenging,which also encourages for more All Chaos Emeralds runs for Ultimate Mode. However,you can change it to be like today in the new category for options.Speaking of which...

New Options
Say hello to Gameplay Tweaks,a brand new category in Options menu.Here,you can set how do you want your gameplay to be.This has many tweaks you can experiment with for your definitive Vanilla SRB2 experience (with NO mods enabled,that is). The options are in the spoilers

Sonic's Main Abillity
1.Power Spin
2.Speed Thok
3.Dropdash
5.Insta-Shield
4.No Abillity

Sonic's Shoes
1.Normal Shoes
2.Soap Shoes

Tails' Flight Abillity
1.On
2.Off (Sonic 2)

Tails' Blue Shoes
1.No
2.Yes
3.No Shoes (this just a joke option,and it works like Ultimate Cheat)

Tails' Flight Cancel Button
1.Jump Button
2.Spin Button

Knuckles' Hat
1.No
2.Yes

Amy's Outfit
1.Classic
2.Modern (just changes to clothes to Modern ones,and not the hair)

Fang's name
1.Fang The Sniper (Japan/Europe)
2.Nack The Weasel (USA)

Fang's Main Abillity
1. Pogo-Tail
2. Triple Jump (STT 16-Bit)
3. None (this is for challenge only)

Metal Sonic's eye colour
1.Red
2.Green
3.Grey

Metal Sonic's Main Abillity
1. 2.2's Main Abillity
2. Electri-Float and Speed-Pound

(Following options for Espio and Mario are only available once you unlock one of them)

Espio's Color Change
1.On
2.Off

Espio's shoes
1.Classic
2.Modern

Mario's Voice
1.SM64
2.Mario Movie
3.None

Life System
1.On
2.No Lives (Origins)

Time Over
1.On
2.Off

Sonic & Tails' camera
1.Follows Sonic
2.Follows Tails

Game Difficulty
1.Baby (5 lives,more rings,less levels and 10 countinues)
2.Normal
3.Hard (2 lives,and 25 rings per level [5 for bosses])
3.Extreme (1 life,10 rings per level and 2 per boss)
4.Ultimate (1 life and no rings)

Cutscenes before Act 3
1.Yes
2.No

Ultimate Mode Options (sub-menu)

Countinue Rework
1.No
2.Yes

More Spikes
1.No
2.Yes

More Boss Hitpoints
1.No
2.Yes

Speed Shoes Theme
1.SRB2
2.Speeded up Level Theme
3.Sonic CD (USA)
4.Sonic CD (JP)
5.Sonic Adventure 2
6.No Theme

Invicibillity Theme
1.SRB2
2.Sonic 1/2
3.Sonic 3
4.Sonic and Knuckles
5.Sonic CD (JP)
6.Sonic CD (USA)
7.Sonic Mania

MIDI Themes (sub-menu)
Main Levels (also going to count Dark City,Grand Eggship,Act 2 of Red Volcano and Badnik Sewer)

GFZ1 - 1. Yes, 2.No
GFZ2 - 1. Yes, 2.No
THZ1 - 1. Yes, 2.No
THZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
DSZ1 - 1.Yes, 2. No
DSZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
BSZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
CEZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
CEZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
ACZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
ACZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
RVZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
RVZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
DCZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
DCZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
GEZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
GEZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
ERZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
ERZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No

Challenge and Bonus levels
HIZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
CBZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
UCZ - 1.Yes, 2.No

FHZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
PTZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
FFZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
TLZ - 1.Yes, 2.No

NIGHTS Stages
FFZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
TCZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
FCZ - 1.Yes, 2. No
CFZ (i dont think i got the name right :dramahog: ) - 1.Yes, 2.No
DWZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
MCZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
ESZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
CCZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
APZ1 - 1.Yes, 2.No
APZ2 - 1.Yes, 2.No
DHZ - 1. Yes, 2.No

Other jingles
Main Boss - 1.Yes, 2.No
ERZ3 - 1.Yes, 2.No
BCZ - 1.Yes, 2.No
Act Clear - 1.Yes, 2.No
Game/Time Over - 1.Yes, 2.No

Part 3
Singleplayer Changes

-GFZ now has a part from the OG track from the pre-2.2 days,obviously adapted for 2.2 sound quality
-GFZ2 gets fully revamped,with all new routes,New emblem locations,a secret Raster Egg to reference RedXVI interactions in Final Demo (for those long-time Final Demo fans),and a proper transition for Act 3
-Boss arena in GFZ3 gets updated significatly, one of them being a tunnel that leads to THZ1 (you cant go through it until you beat the Boss)
-THZ1's grass at the start is like the one from the eras before 2.1,and then transition to current look of the grass (for transition and reference purposes)
-THZ2 now gets new routes for Metal Sonic and Mario
-DSZ1 gets a better transition to Act 2,as you exit the water and get inside the Temple
-DSZ2 gets fully remade
-Mine Maze returns as a zone after Castle Eggman,with 2.2 style level design and not having confusing mazes (what happens is that Eggman escaped into the castle sewers,and found Mine Maze where he would later do a re-match against Sonic)
-MMZ3 would have a Boss where a giant Drilla Killa chases after Sonic (who is in a minecart),as you you need to control the minecart into a correct path (wrong path is shown as being blocked.At the end,you and Drilla Killa fall down into a pit of lava,but Tails comes to save you just in time
-MMZ obviously gets a transition to ACZ,referencing the Mine Maze->Rocky Mountain cutscenes planned for SRB2 TGF
-If you get to ECZ 1 and look whats outside,you can now see Ring Satellite (from SRB1) being next to Mobius
-In ECZ 2,you can find a room with green capsules,inside being badniks (a reference to a video on SSNTails' YouTube Channel)

Multiplayer changes
-A friends list is added,so now you can add your friends you met through Multiplayer into that list (obviously,the friend you want to add has to accept your request)
-Race now has new tracks,taken from the OLDC.
-Ringslinger dies and gets replaced by Battlemod

Additional Content
-Chaos Mode is now back as a mode in Singleplayer. Pick a character you want to play as and to through Endless waves of badniks. Only 3 lives,though!
-You can make a profile card for Multiplayer with your name,the most used color in servers, the date you installed SRB2,the amount of waves you passed in Chaos Mode and the vanilla character you use the most
*By beating Ultimate Mode,you get a Trophy that will be seen next to your name on the profile card
*Once you make a profile card,a new file named profile.dat gets created in your SRB2 folder. If your transfering all the stuff from the SRB2 folder on a new device,transfering your profile.dat will make your profile card be on that other device.

This is the end of Part 3,and probably the last part for this post. This part was primarly for Singleplayer,so im trying to fix that in the potential Part 4. I will also make a thread which will be the same,but the Part 4 and possibly more parts will be there.Bye!

Last edited:
Already possible, press Scoreboard / Game status key. idk how it works on android though.
Oh,my bad. Game Status button works perfectly on Android as it shuld. I will remove that in a new edit.
Post automatically merged:

For anyone who has read my post about potential features complete SRB2 could have, Edit #1 is now added,so now the post is long as Bible and its probably 75% of the page,and my fingers are now broke:devastation:

Last edited:
The game was considered to be in a finished state by it's original developers at the time of 2.0. It's likely there will be more versions that would be considered to be definitive versions of SRB2 by StJr, and versions after that.

1. With its current engine, SRB2 doesn't support loops at all. But SRB2 2.0 didn't have support for slopes, so I guess anything's possible.
2. Gameplay Tweaks is just a bit too intricate to be included outside of a mod, not to mention how it's a bit unbalanced.
3. With how much data exists for Ringslinger, they wouldn't just *remove it*.
4. A friends list could constitute the sending of personal info, and since a lot of kids play SRB2, this may cause problems that STJr wouldn't want to deal with.
5. Unless STJr wants to get their asses kicked by Nintendo, Mario will not be a playable character.
6. If STJr wanted Chaos mode to come back, they wouldn't have removed it in the first place.
7. Beating Ultimate Mode is too tall an order for even obtaining an emblem. There's a reason you don't get rewarded for it.
8. Profile Cards [see point 4]
9. Mine Maze has evolved into Arid Canyon by now. It can't "come back", because it already has.
10. They wouldn't just *remove* Azure Temple. It's meant to be hard, and it's hard. There's really no reason to remove it.
11. My brain can NOT comprehend the possibility of a stage called Cupcake Bonanza. BONANZA???

1. With its current engine, SRB2 doesn't support loops at all. But SRB2 2.0 didn't have support for slopes, so I guess anything's possible.
2. Gameplay Tweaks is just a bit too intricate to be included outside of a mod, not to mention how it's a bit unbalanced.
3. With how much data exists for Ringslinger, they wouldn't just *remove it*.
4. A friends list could constitute the sending of personal info, and since a lot of kids play SRB2, this may cause problems that STJr wouldn't want to deal with.
5. Unless STJr wants to get their asses kicked by Nintendo, Mario will not be a playable character.
6. If STJr wanted Chaos mode to come back, they wouldn't have removed it in the first place.
7. Beating Ultimate Mode is too tall an order for even obtaining an emblem. There's a reason you don't get rewarded for it.
8. Profile Cards [see point 4]
9. Mine Maze has evolved into Arid Canyon by now. It can't "come back", because it already has.
10. They wouldn't just *remove* Azure Temple. It's meant to be hard, and it's hard. There's really no reason to remove it.
11. My brain can NOT comprehend the possibility of a stage called Cupcake Bonanza. BONANZA???
I know you are complaining much but its just my expectations.

3. Ringslinger is a pretty old game-mode (obviously not older than SP Campaign),and Battlemod is becoming more popular,so my probabal guess is that they are possibly removing it.

8.Profile Cards would not be an issue AT ALL,since its only going to have SRB2-related stuff,not the Real Life things. Maybe if you read through that idea more carefully,then there is nothing wrong with it that would have the same reason as 4. You DONT have to make it,and you can play Multiplayer without it.

10.Removing Azure Temple is probably for the best,as if you ask people if it shuld be removed or not,most of them will say it will be removed. I mean,its an underwater GAUNTLET that is not just pretty hard,but also generally hated.

11.The "Bonanza" part is indeed an actual word,and its there not only for the stage's name being cool,but also to reference Sonic 3: Resort Island hack.

I know you are complaining much but its just my expectations.

3. Ringslinger is a pretty old game-mode (obviously not older than SP Campaign),and Battlemod is becoming more popular,so my probabal guess is that they are possibly removing it.

8.Profile Cards would not be an issue AT ALL,since its only going to have SRB2-related stuff,not the Real Life things. Maybe if you read through that idea more carefully,then there is nothing wrong with it that would have the same reason as 4. You DONT have to make it,and you can play Multiplayer without it.

10.Removing Azure Temple is probably for the best,as if you ask people if it shuld be removed or not,most of them will say it will be removed. I mean,its an underwater GAUNTLET that is not just pretty hard,but also generally hated.

11.The "Bonanza" part is indeed an actual word,and its there not only for the stage's name being cool,but also to reference Sonic 3: Resort Island hack.
Regardless, I'm just sharing how I think it will turn out. I don't mean to complain.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back