What the hell is wrong with you people and noobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this sort of thing a lot, and I apparently was going to post this ON the topic that needed help, but I figured that wouldn't be productive at all. I'd figure I'd post it here; my insight might inspire some of you people (and you know who you are). Keep in mind, I talk about noobs, helping them, lazyness, complaints, and postcount. If you do not want to read this, please do not post here.

Chaos said:
DarkAngell said:
pleas i need to know how to make wads iv got a pic of what im trying to make him look like. but how do i post a pic....... still iv got a pic. PLEAS REPLY
You have to create a WAD then edit it.

... How does that help this person in any way? Although most of you (yes, I'm talking to all of the people that just say "omg you have bad GRAMMAR" or just a generic message without reading the topic post like "no one is going to make a wad for you") like to be lazy, but would it hurt to help once in a while instead of just being in the way and raising your postcount? Being completely blunt and obvious isn't cool, and it doesn't make you cool. It makes you look like an ass-- I don't even need to continue that sentence; you should already know that. (Keep in mind, I'm talking to a lot of you.)

To the rest of you: I know you may feel superior to these 'noobs', but all they're asking is for a little bit of help to get by, and become a regular member like you guys. Thinking "I DONT HAVE TO HELP THEM, THEY'RE JUST A STUPID NOOB! They posted in the wrong place, AND they had a bad topic title? Why should I help? It's not like it's my responsibility! If they don't know what to do now, then **** 'em." The problem here is, almost everyone is complaining about the huge noob problem, right? Have you ever tried working toward a solution yet? How do you expect to get rid of this problem if you don't even try to? Blowing noobs off makes them leave, and thus telling more people about the game, and then it still gets more popular. It's not the popularity that's in trouble, though. How do you expect to get rid of the noobs if you don't even give them a chance? If you helped one, you could then allow them to have a chance to understand what the game is all about, how to edit and such, and become a normal or respectable member here. But no, that's apparently to hard for you for some reason. But why?! It's not hard, and you're also being a good person by lending a helping hand rather than making useless posts and checking your profile every 10 minutes.Okay, I can understand extreme situations where a noob spams "HELP" everywhere, but you have to admit that even they need guidance (though we can't really do much for the ones with poor English skills because of second languages, but we can to the ones that actually know English).

Just give a care, and help a noob in need. That may solve our noob problem in the long run. And even if it doesn't, it's still an easy and kind thing to do regardless of how it'll affect the community, because helping someone usually doesn't have negative consequences.
Think: A lot of the respected members here were noobs were they not? Hell, I was the biggest noob ever. If I had never gotten help (which I did, thank goodness), I'd probably still be a noob. Seriously, I would be, and so would the others.

I eagerly await your heart-warming posts. Hey, to spice things up, how about at the end of your posts write either Yes/No for "Do noobs even deserve help?". I was going to put it in a poll... but, yeah.

Yes.

You're right on many points, new people *need* help as they are new and do not know how everything goes around here.
The problem with many noobs, is that after getting help, they keep asking for help even for the easiest thing to do, because apparently they're just too lazy to understand a very simple thing. I can't stand people like that, for obvious reasons.
The good ones after getting help take the effort to learn and only ask questions when they actually do not know or have a problem with something after *taking* the effort.
That's the difference.
Obviously one can't foresee if a person is of the "bad" or of the "good" type, and everyone should get help in the beginning.
But if they end up getting of the "bad" type then I don't see why they shouldn't be warned and eventually banned if they do not understand.
There are written rules here and the ban surely didn't come out of the blue.

Oh not another Syoktic related topic. Seriosuly, there's a few of these topics now, and it's getting annoying. Just deal with it, it wouldn't help helping n00bs anyway because once you help someone, say that you helped them with a recolour, or something related, and other n00bs see it, they think they can strike for the oppitunity, and start making a mass attack of the topics.

Actually this is Ash's own thought, which surprises me since he spammed a whole forum of these alleged noobs. But let's not forget that I don't like him and have continuously attempted to prove that he was Zash back when he was Segmint and a bitch. Sadly, it was proven and no admin action has been taken hint hint. Whatever.

Well due to recent events & topics, you have made a few of these topics as well as *Ash* I'm not sure if it's true or not since I haven't seen anything from Ash took place or I don't remember, a single thing which happened. Talk to someone privatlly about it.

I usually don't post in topics like this, but Ash does have good points. I do think very new people do need a chance, because they don't know the resources they have at hand. This might be the first message board for the new person, so they might not know about FAQs.

I am not saying encourage recolors and bad levels, but they should at least get some respect as opposed to showing a not funny image macro shouting "FAIL!". Doing that makes you look like an idiot, and it doesn't help the person at all.

Posting something like a simple "Have you looked at the FAQ and srb2wiki? Here are the links *links here*. Try looking at those first before asking questions." It lets them know about the resources, yet it also lets them know that they should look for something before posting a problem. If they don't understand it at first, ask them what they didn't understand, and clarify what it means.

If he didn't look like he read the thing at all, quote the part of the srb2wiki or FAQ that explains it and tell him again to read the srb2wiki and FAQ first. Sometimes people need to be told something more then once to get the information in. That doesn't mean you have to keep answering simple questions by the same guy over and over. If he does that, just let the mods and admins deal with it.

Sykotic said:
Actually this is Ash's own thought, which surprises me since he spammed a whole forum of these alleged noobs. But let's not forget that I don't like him and have continuously attempted to prove that he was Zash back when he was Segmint and a bitch. Sadly, it was proven and no admin action has been taken hint hint. Whatever.

Actually, Mystic did acknowledge the fact, and said something along the lines of "It's been three-four years, and he's not acting stupid, so I just let it go," or something to that effect. I don't remember the exact context, however.

Ash said:
Chaos said:
DarkAngell said:
pleas i need to know how to make wads iv got a pic of what im trying to make him look like. but how do i post a pic....... still iv got a pic. PLEAS REPLY
You have to create a WAD then edit it.

... How does this help the person in any way?

Okay, if people aren't gonna check the freaking wiki, aren't gonna listen, won't even try or put effort into what they make, what does it care? They almost never even learn the simplest points.

SSNTails said:
People just need to reply with the following, and the following only, with no other text in their posts:

Go to http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/
This is the proper response to stupid questions.

If you're feeling nice, give them a link to the specific article they're looking for.

The reality is that everyone has to learn eventually that everyone else on the planet isn't there to just help you. You're going to have to figure something out on your own sooner or later, and it might as well be sooner rather than later. That way, if they're so lazy that they don't wanna try and figure it out, they give up NOW instead of wasting their time by giving them some information, and then having them hit that brick wall later on.

Being nice to the n00bs is NOT going to make them go away. It won't help matters at all, and it will simply lead to another stupid topic after they understand your first explanation and then realize that there was more to it than that. The thing with n00bs is that there are always MORE of them joining, so we're going to get these stupid topics no matter how you respond to them.

Helping people in detail when they ask stupid, n00bish questions is honestly not a good idea. Direct them in the proper direction for them to find out their answer on their own, be it our Wiki, or another written tutorial. It takes minimal effort on your part, and is actually more useful to the n00b in the long run.

If you feel like you absolutely must put forth some effort to deal with the n00b epidemic, the Wiki is eternally in need of improvement, and instead of wasting your time helping idiots on the forums, be productive and write explanations on the Wiki so you can help ALL the people who come in asking questions, and not just that single guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back