what sonic game should i play?

Hi! I'm pretty new in the sonic fandom, and do you have suggestions on which sonic games i should play? I played sonic colors when I was younger it was pretty good.

I definitely recommend Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Unleashed, Generations, and Mania. These are all pretty solid games that can easily get you hooked into the franchise.

P.S. Colors was also my first Sonic game but at the time it was the only Sonic game I had access to and it was at my Grandma’s house, so it didn’t really get me into the series. Mania did it for me in early 2020 and it caused me to spiral into an obsession with Sonic, causing me to try speed running Mania and join the SRB2 community. Best decision I’ve made recently

Just look through SAGE and Sonic Retro and I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like and I can't really suggest any good Sonic games other than Sonic Mania and... What do you think this forum site is for.

I definitely recommend Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Unleashed, Generations, and Mania. These are all pretty solid games that can easily get you hooked into the franchise.

P.S. Colors was also my first Sonic game but at the time it was the only Sonic game I had access to and it was at my Grandma’s house, so it didn’t really get me into the series. Mania did it for me in early 2020 and it caused me to spiral into an obsession with Sonic, causing me to try speed running Mania and join the SRB2 community. Best decision I’ve made recently

I'd also recommend Sonic Heroes. Even though there are some serious problems of controls and repetition in the game, I think you should play it to end the "dreamcast" era. Also, It's a pretty fun game overall

Just look through SAGE and Sonic Retro and I'm sure you'll find something that you'll like and I can't really suggest any good Sonic games other than Sonic Mania and... What do you think this forum site is for.

Usually when people ask for game suggestions, they want to play official games. It is also very unfair to say that Mania is the only good Sonic game when it’s taken 25 years of the series’s run to even get to Mania

Usually when people ask for game suggestions, they want to play official games. It is also very unfair to say that Mania is the only good Sonic game when it’s taken 25 years of the series’s run to even get to Mania

His taste in games horrible ! We have many nice games in the series ! More than mania !

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I advise you to play official games and try some fan project such as ROM hacks for emulators (they are good) remastered official games by fans and more .......
Search by yourself you will find many games !

His taste in games horrible ! We have many nice games in the series ! More than mania !

You know... I would argue against that but... I don't really like most official Sonic games, the official games I do like are Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, SA1, SA2,heroes, and Sonic runners (yes those are game suggestions) in which yeah I'm just your average Sonic fan that complains about how good the past games are and before you ask, the reason why Sonic 1 isn't in my list of Sonic games I like is because of Labyrinth zone, well don't worry because I actually got a list of Sonic fan games that are good so that y'all don't have to seethe through them.

* Sonic runners revival
* Sonic SMS remake
* Sonic 3 A.I.R
* Sonic after the sequel DX (Sonic retro forum link)
* and the best Android game ever so don't dis it OR ELSE

you should try SADX and SA2 out on steam, but with mods to get the best experience!
SADX: get mods because SADX doesn't look that good if you play it without the dreamcast mods (which has BETTER graphics than vanilla SADX), also use SADX Mod Installer if you're getting SADX on Steam to convert the steam version to the 2004 PC port, along with some mods installed (including the dreamcast mods)!
SA2: it also has some graphic fixes, along with some mods that does gameplay-related changes (action remap which remaps the light speed dash to a different button, Hedgepanel which improves gameplay a bit, the upcoming Better Miles mod which gives Tails his SA1/SADX moveset back. in SA2, tails is in a mech, but the mod removes it. in SA1/SADX, tails is not in a mech and can fly, roll, and attack with his tails which is what he does in Better Miles, etc.). there's a spindash delay in SA2, but there are codes that reduce/remove it, along with a mod that removes the somersault, but you can still go underneath hazards if you use the spindash while using that mod. SA2 even has an online multiplayer mod with splitscreen, while SADX does have a multiplayer mod (in Character Select Mod), but it's not online multiplayer and it doesn't use splitscreen, too. i'd also recommend Chao World Extended and Enhanced Chao World, which make chao raising better, with its additional features and autosave!
notes about SADX and SA2:
SA2 is badly optimized for low-end pcs, so if your pc is a low-end one, you may want to use lower resolutions, upgrade your RAM and/or video card, or just getting a new PC. SADX runs well on low-end PCs (if you convert it to the 2004 PC port), so if your PC is well enough, it shouldn't lag that much. if you want to play those games in HD and your PC is strong enough, then check out HD GUI 2, HD GUI: SA2 Edition and the ESRGAN-AI HD texture packs.
if you want to try out 2D Sonic too, you can try out Sonic 1, 2, and 3 (either genesis or 3 A.I.R.). for Sonic 1 and 2, there's the original with romhacks and also the unofficial PC port of the mobile ports, which already has some mods and it may get better over time.
for trying out the Boost games, you could try Sonic Rush, Generations or Unleashed out. i heard positive stuff about those. Unleashed not only has boosting, but you also do combating as the Werehog (if you don't mind it). you could also try out the fangames listed above my post, too! and that's all.

Last edited:
You know... I would argue against that but... I don't really like most official Sonic games, the official games I do like are Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, SA1, SA2,heroes, and Sonic runners (yes those are game suggestions) in which yeah I'm just your average Sonic fan that complains about how good the past games are and before you ask, the reason why Sonic 1 isn't in my list of Sonic games I like is because of Labyrinth zone, well don't worry because I actually got a list of Sonic fan games that are good so that y'all don't have to seethe through them.

* Sonic runners revival
* Sonic SMS remake
* Sonic 3 A.I.R
* Sonic after the sequel DX (Sonic retro forum link)
* and the best Android game ever so don't dis it OR ELSE
I think you are right about past games because the series now ???? Different ?! I heared that sonic prime will take the sonic verse and replacing modern
About sonic 1 we have remastered version by Whitehead
About modern games I still don't test them so I can't tell you about them
I tested sonic mania and it really take me back to genesis era with remastered old levels , new sprites and more
Comparing to mario that he gots his games [size=+4] everyear [/size] and sonic gots his game once on 3 or 4 years ! It's all new sonic team's fault without Yuji Naka the team is going to hell
And fans too always create great games I appreciate that

Comparing to mario that he gots his games [SIZE=+4] everyear [/SIZE] and sonic gots his game once on 3 or 4 years ! It's all new sonic team's fault without Yuji Naka the team is going to hell
And fans too always create great games I appreciate that
I disagree, Mario gets a spin-off every year (Mario Odyssey was the last major game that came out in 2017 and the other were ports of Wii U games and a compilation).

I'd rather have the Sonic Team take their time to polish their game instead of rushing them (like Forces, it took them 3 years for the engine and one for the level design).

As for Sonic games most of the time fans do better (like the Sonic 1&2 decompilation and Sonic 3 AIR).

Generations is good if you liked Sonic Colors. I'd recommend Unleashed as well, but your mileage may vary on the Wii port.

Sonic Mania is a good opener if you've never played classic Sonic. CD, 2, S3&K are pretty good. Half of Sonic 1 is trash.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back