what"s your favorite sonic character

It really does depend on case basis, so this one might need elaboration.

Game Universe: Knuckles

Before he was turned into the dumb-strong archetype, this guy was the GOAT. He has a badass theme song and one of the most conventional ways of dealing with things: fists. Not only that, he has a responsible air about him too, which is one of the traits I tend to gravitate towards heavily. The day he uppercut Sonic so hard he fell out of the super state & then gave that glorious wide grin was a memorable one, while for him, it probably was Tuesday.

Comic Universe: Scourge

I tend to like villains, so how about combining Sonic's wittiness & self-confidence with Hazama's cruelty & sharp tongue, give the guy a cool jacket & then give him the center stage? You get the self-proclaimed king, not to mention a villain way too good to be stuck in a comic. In particular, it was the comic dub I saw on YT that absolutely sold me on this character.

What little I saw was absolutely glorious when it comes to villains not to mention rival characters. While I feel Metal Sonic, Knuckles & Shadow as rivals worked for the stories and the games they appeared in, Scourge himself to me represents the perfect foil to Sonic himself.

Honorable Mention: Shadow

He's the Sonic franchise's representative of the Broken Home, Broken Soul-archetype of characters, and the way it was handled in Shadow's case throughout his initial character arc (SA2, Heroes, '06) was very good for the franchise it was made for. However, what ultimately brings this guy down for me is not only the lack of consistency when it comes to his characterization throughout the franchise, but how as a result of having to tone down the dark themes usually associated with the archetype in order to fit the Sonic franchise, his story does not reach its full potential.
I love Scourge too! And I love Shadow. And I also like knuckles.

For me, in general, it has to go to Metal Sonic. He's got to be one of my favorite rivals in all of fiction, perfectly encapsulating everything Sonic is fighting against while also being incredibly similar to Sonic in appearance and abilities and being his general near equal, even surpassing him in some ways. I enjoy the comedy he's been used in recently, but personally I feel like he's at his absolute best as a genuine threat.

Shadow's my favorite in SA2 specifically, though. He's got some of the best character development in the series in this game, growing out if his edgy phase into a genuine hero, engaging in teamwork and self sacrifice for the greater good. It genuinely pains me that they opted to wipe his memory after this game. I can understand bringing him back due to his incredible popularity, but them erasing all of his character development and ultimately settling on him just being a generic cringy edgelord is largely the reason why Metal Sonic beats him out after SA2 for me.

I do however want to give an honerable mention to Blaze for having the 2nd best character development in the series and generally being a super cool character, Rouge for being smart, capable, and at times compassionate despite the assumptions one would make about her at face value, Eggman for being a borderline relatable goofball when he's not having one of his megalomaniac fits, and pretty much all of the new reoccurring characters introduced in the IDW comics for each being cool and interesting in their own unique ways. Oh, and also Big for being a wholesome lovable doofus.

Last edited:
Mighty the Armadillo, and it's taken me a while to fully figure out why he of all characters took that spot.

I think the spark that eventually lead to this was the fact that as a kid, he always had this sort of mysteriousness to him, but in a cool way. I'd see footage of SegaSonic and Knuckles Chaotix, or see single panels of him in the archie comics and wonder what that Armadillo guy who looks a lot like Sonic is all about. It wasn't like an obsession, more so that when it came to Classic characters who I noticed didn't make the jump to the Post-Adventure 1 games, Mighty always stood out the most. To this day, I can still remember where I was when it was revealed that Mighty and Ray were coming to Mania Plus, and how surreal that felt.

Outside of that, there's just something about his design that I really love. I can't fully pin it down, but he's just so satisfying to draw and look at. I also just love how his characterization in most comics I've read that included him like Archie and IDW Sonic is having him as this chill, occasionally short-tempered strong guy who just really, really cares about protecting his friends. He's a sweetheart.

Honorable mentions go to Espio (2nd Fav) and Knux (3rd Fav). Espio was always just cool to me as a kid, while being far from a favorite. But in recent years, his Classic incarnation has made him skyrocket to becoming my second favorite. The design of Classic Espio's one of my absolute favorites to come from the series, and he's probably the character with the most uses for his species-specific abilities, such as his color changing in Chaotix, and all of his tongue-related attacks in Sonic the Fighters. I wish they leaned even more into that with Modern Espio instead of him just using ninja equipment. Knux, on the other hand, was just someone I never fully appreciated until I got older. He was always just the angry punchy guy who likes emeralds to me as a kid, but as I got older and really got into understanding a lot of the story, especially SA1 and SA2, I just really enjoyed how Knux is as a character. He's not stupid, just honorbound to his duties to the Master Emerald, sometimes to a fault.

1666874132956.png

H I M

and then 2nd is shadow
3rd is mighty.

i'd explain but i don't feel like writing a 5 paragraph essay about it

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back