What is OpenGL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O_O, Open GL is, well...its like software mode but better for SOME users. Personally I love it. Just put -opengl on the parameter for srb2.win and it should work...to make it nicer set your quality to 32 bits and your texture filter to trillinere or however you spell it.

Everything is actually 3D and you can look straight up and down in first person. It also has neat coronas (lights) and uses many, many more colors. Some people prefer Software because they like the look and because OpenGL is a little buggy when it comes to FOFs and colormaps. I personally love it, though.

Shuffle said:
Some people prefer Software because they like the look
Yeah, this is actually my reason for sticking with Software. Not that I don't mind stretch effects when I comes to missing textures, but I really don't prefer the blurry look. Plus, in Software, even if you're looking down on another player, it still seems like he's looking right at you. I like this, because you don't want to be off your guard in ringslinger modes; otherwise, they might shoot a rail at you when you least expect it.... But that's just my reasoning, though.

OpenGL.
Basically, my computer is so bad, it can't handle software. No, I'm not exagerating. I get about 10FPS. OpenGL, however, runs almost perfectly.
Not to mention the fact that OpenGL just looks nicer overall. And for those that don't like the default blur, OpenGL has a Nearest drawing option that almost perfectly looks like software.

It's really more of a matter of opinion, I'll try and make a list of the difference.

OpenGL
Fully 3D processes
Some things have nasty outlines at times.
Coronas (Give torches and supersonic a better feel)
Models
Lighting on sector borders is messed up
Dosen't work on all computers
Some useless but pretty graphics options
Skys tile rather than stretching (This is better in starry and cloudy skys, but looks nasty with the stars and planet sky, or the zim sky)
Game 'n Watch (like in SSBM) like 2dness when you look at things from above.
The ability to look directly at the ceiling, or directly at the floor (Though I don't really see how this is so usefull.)
Support for tiny sectors.
Nodesbuilding errors are more noticable
Transparent FoFs don't always work
SSN keeps saying something about precipitation being messed up, haven't seen it for myself.

Software
When you look at a player from above, they look like there facefirst into the ground
Stretch effect where OGL has a simple redwall. (Though I don't see how this is important considering both are always fixed)
Transparent things look better in thokobject style tilings
Pallete WADs can be added in-game and aren't ruined by coronas.

The best way of looking at this is that OpenGL mode has several advantages, but it also has several disadvantages. Choosing which one is mostly a matter of opinion.

REDWALL is a better way to detect errors than HOM. That point should be made clear.

AND you skipped the fact that OpenGL can handle large open-sky sectors, where Software has a fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back