What if SRB2 didn't use Doom Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesome

Grab a bite to eat.
That question just randomly came to me when I found out that SRB2 used the Doom Legacy Engine. What if it used a different doom port, like ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, etc.?

I heard Skulltag (Which is currently the port I use to play Doom on.) pretty much has endless possibilities if your good with ACS or whatever it's called.

Post your thoughts.

EDIT: Oops... I think this might be in the wrong place... If it is, please have an admin move it. But since this is the discussion... I think it's fine where it's at.

Last edited:
No. No it would not.
Yes, actually, it would have slopes. Know your engines before you begin spouting off such nonsense.
Skulltag is everything ZDoom can be. While not QUITE on the cutting-edge, it makes up for in good multiplayer capabilities such as join-in-progress.

The only problem is that the software renderer cannot use 3-D floors -- or those floating platforms you see. You HAVE to use the OpenGL mode (like in GZDoom) to do it.
You can also have smoother framerates since the FPS is uncapped.
It however is ultimately up to the developers what they want to do.

At the time, Doom Legacy was one of the most advanced and feature-rich Doom engines available, I'm not sure if ZDoom was available then but if it was and it had as much features as it did now, I'm not sure why they chose Legacy, maybe because it had better FOF support or something.

At the time we started SRB2, Doom Legacy didn't have the best FOF support; it had the ONLY FOF support. This is why SRB2 is in Legacy.

Actually, it was originally chosen because it had a chasecam. Then because it had the best network play. Then because SoM did this whole FOF thing.

And what's FOF stand for?

Regarding network play, Skulltag's is remarkably better than Legacy's, however truth be known it had to work hard to get it; Legacy has stagnated for years without support so Skulltag had time to catch up. It's a bit more stable and I haven't heard about any desyncs or even any need to quit for some reason or another (like a skin, which are optional).
The chasecam, I'm not sure when that was implemented in ZDoom (and then Skulltag) but it has been at least a few years.

Last edited:
I always wondered how SRB2 would have turned out if STJr. could have been able to use the Quake engine instead. Oh well.

I thought the exact same thing sometime ago... I really think SRB2 is better off with DooM than Quake.

I wonder how much of the code is portable...
And now we're getting off-topic, lal~

This topic is about what would have happened if SRB2 was made from a different Doom port, not if it should be ported to another one. It well probably never be ported to another one because nobody's crazy enough to bother doing it.

This topic is about what would have happened if SRB2 was made from a different Doom port, [...]
A lot of things could be different. Editors can always work around a different set of restrictions and exploit a port's features.
For sake of conversation, I wonder how SRB would be like in the Doomsday engine... or maybe Eternity.

[...] It well probably never be ported to another one because nobody's crazy enough to bother doing it.
If I knew programming a little better (for the record, Timmy, my personal code-work for TSAT is NOT internally built into the engine), I'd probably go for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back