What if Sonic stopped being made?

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
What if Sega decided to straight up stop making new Sonic games and let fans handle the series? Would it be better for everyone?

Why would Sega suddenly decide to relinquish development of any game featuring their mascot whose original purpose was to star in games? That could be suicide!

In any case, greatly doubt there would be any major change.
Sega might take a hit as they abandon their series surrounding the epic marketable hedgehog and figure out what else to do with it, as people just do... about the same things they are doing now with the spikey animal. Maaaaaybe with the potential of projects surrounding the hedgey being monetizable, but that's about as far as I can picture it.

Why would Sega suddenly decide to relinquish development of any game featuring their mascot whose original purpose was to star in games? That could be suicide!

In any case, greatly doubt there would be any major change.
Sega might take a hit as they abandon their series surrounding the epic marketable hedgehog and figure out what else to do with it, as people just do... about the same things they are doing now with the spikey animal. Maaaaaybe with the potential of projects surrounding the hedgey being monetizable, but that's about as far as I can picture it.
Sometimes I believe that if Sega were only publishers and let indie devs who genuinely love their franchises do the job it would be better for everyone.

Sometimes I believe that if Sega were only publishers and let indie devs who genuinely love their franchises do the job it would be better for everyone.
Better for everyone but SEGA themselves. They'd be losing out on any and all potential future profits from the hedgehog if they did that. It'd be financial suicide.

Better for everyone but SEGA themselves. They'd be losing out on any and all potential future profits from the hedgehog if they did that. It'd be financial suicide.
They're still gaining money from Yakuza and Total War, they'll be fine with getting money from indie devs making better games.

They're still gaining money from Yakuza and Total War, they'll be fine with getting money from indie devs making better games.
Yes, they'd still make money from those franchises, but they wouldn't be getting money from the Sonic series... unless you're implying having fans do all the work... which also wouldn't work out all that well going off of how Sonic Mania dev went.

Yes, they'd still make money from those franchises, but they wouldn't be getting money from the Sonic series... unless you're implying having fans do all the work... which also wouldn't work out all that well going off of how Sonic Mania dev went.
Mind telling me what happened with Mania? Didn't it sell well?

Mind telling me what happened with Mania? Didn't it sell well?
I mentioned the development. Stealth and Whitehead were treated horribly and didn't even get paid much from their work on Mania, as they've since documented. Mandates and all. The vast majority of the money from Mania went to SEGA instead of the people who actually developed the game.

EDIT: As mentioned here:

I mentioned the development. Stealth and Whitehead were treated horribly and didn't even get paid much from their work on Mania, as they've since documented. Mandates and all. The vast majority of the money from Mania went to SEGA instead of the people who actually developed the game.

EDIT: As mentioned here:
Darn, that's really scummy from Sega to do.

I greatly doubt any self-respecting indie developer would pay any corporation just for having their mascot star in a game.
I didn't say that, I'm talking about indie devs making new games based off older Sega IPs (like Lizardcube's Streets of Rage 4).

But this isn't the first time a company has published indie devs (Squarenix did that before).

I didn't say that, I'm talking about indie devs making new games based off older Sega IPs (like Lizardcube's Streets of Rage 4).

But this isn't the first time a company has published indie devs (Squarenix did that before).
I didn't say that
Hm, so it seems. Though the way you originally (and vaguely) put it sounded to me like you'd make a fangame to be published by Sega who would then make profits from it. The part where you, the dev, would get a profit didn't cross my mind. mb :^)

Though, any indie developer that has watched the Mania incident would most likely reconsider now, essentially tanking Sega if they gave Sonic away. :welcometoreleases:

Hm, so it seems. Though the way you originally (and vaguely) put it sounded to me like you'd make a fangame to be published by Sega who would then make profits from it. The part where you, the dev, would get a profit didn't cross my mind. mb :^)

Though, any indie developer that has watched the Mania incident would most likely reconsider now, essentially tanking Sega if they gave Sonic away. :welcometoreleases:
Yeah, I would encourage indie devs to avoid corporation who would just put their greedy hands on their games.

But I'd also encourage those companies to be less restrictive toward their fans and let free fangames being made (looking at you Nintendo).

Funny thing is that they still let the Crypt of the Necrodancer devs to make a Zelda spinoff (the last time we got Zelda games not made by Nintendo was with Capcom back in the early 2000's).

Impossible !
Sonic the hedgehog multi media franchise stopped by SEGA ! I don't thing so because sonic makes SEGA famous ! He's her original mascot and the rival of Mario !
If SEGA stopped doing sonic games they will lose many money
Remember that the series has over 920mm copies sold !

I bet Sega would start making too many franchises again like they used to do.
What do you mean? People are literally begging Sega to bring back old IPs that aren't Sonic because they feel like they're putting too much focus on Sonic.

And during the Dreamcast era people were fine with seeing new IPs because they were creative enough to not have to rely too much on old franchises.

Even for Nintendo fans they are begging them to not just make new Mario and Zelda games but also bring back other licences from the NES/SNES/N64 era.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back