What happened to most of the severs?

link17

This week I noticed that almost all the severs were gone except for two of them. Can anyone tell me what happened?

master server was having issues with listing servers

should be fixed once everyone rehosts

to chime in with some more info on what actually happened:

after they migrated the MS to new hardware (which, AFAIK, was done to add IPv6 support on the MS), they changed the domain to ds.ms.srb2.org to avoid issues with CloudFlare preventing some hosts to register. this, however, gave the problem that nobody was using the new MS, since the game was still configured to go towards the old domain.

to solve that problem, they tried to forward MS registration to the new server, and in doing so completely broke the old MS. this is because MS uses the source IP address to figure out where the game is hosted, and since the old MS forwarded registrations to the new MS, it ended up hijacking the source IP address, thus making the server IP incorrect and prevented people from hosting.

this was quickly worsened as SRB2 would lose association immediately after registering due to the IP address change. when this happens, SRB2 will try to re-register again, which caused the MS to be flooded with duplicate servers. in response, they dramatically lowered the lifetime of a registration, which broke it even more as SRB2 is designed to update the registration every 15 minutes which was way longer than the MS was configured to retain servers. it was at that point that the MS was down to only 2 servers, since only the two of us actually managed to figure out the core problem and work ourselves around it.

hopefully this clears up some things for ya. :)

after they migrated the MS to new hardware (which, AFAIK, was done to add IPv6 support on the MS), they changed the domain to ds.ms.srb2.org to avoid issues with CloudFlare preventing some hosts to register. this, however, gave the problem that nobody was using the new MS, since the game was still configured to go towards the old domain.

to solve that problem, they tried to forward MS registration to the new server, and in doing so completely broke the old MS. this is because MS uses the source IP address to figure out where the game is hosted, and since the old MS forwarded registrations to the new MS, it ended up hijacking the source IP address, thus making the server IP incorrect and prevented people from hosting.

this was quickly worsened as SRB2 would lose association immediately after registering due to the IP address change. when this happens, SRB2 will try to re-register again, which caused the MS to be flooded with duplicate servers. in response, they dramatically lowered the lifetime of a registration, which broke it even more as SRB2 is designed to update the registration every 15 minutes which was way longer than the MS was configured to retain servers. it was at that point that the MS was down to only 2 servers, since only the two of us actually managed to figure out the core problem and work ourselves around it.

This was sorta it, the MS uses a script to delist servers that are considered dead (no response from SRB2 after certain amount of time), but after the move to the new hardware, the script stopped working as it wasn't compatible with the new server.

If you remember duplicate inaccessible servers being returned by the MS api, that was why, the dead servers wasn't being removed as the script wasn't running at all.

So a new version of the script was made, but it was aggressively removing servers too soon, which was below how often SRB2 is configured to send a update request by default.

Last edited:
This was sorta it, the MS uses a script to delist servers that are considered dead (no response from SRB2 after certain amount of time), but after the move to the new hardware, the script stopped working as it wasn't compatible with the new server.

If you remember duplicate inaccessible servers being returned by the MS api, that was why, the dead servers wasn't being removed as the script wasn't running at all.

So a new version of the script was made, but it was aggressively removing servers too soon, which was below how often SRB2 is configured to send a update request by default.
huh i see now. I thought it was something a lot worse.

That's what is happening? Huh. And here I thought that my WiFi got royally broken.

After testing yesterday I was able to host without any issues with delisted, I'm glad that's taken care of it thanks to Server admin for fixing it.

been trying to host my server but it still haven't been listed on the master server ever since the MS had issues showing servers. :/

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back