What happend to RedXI

Back in the final demo, there use to be this person called RedXI, after beating the game 3 times, If you jumped on the roof of the house in GFZ1 3 times, RedXI would appear and send you to Red Volcano zone beta, He was also in GFZ2, If you found him, he'd give you "The 8th Emerald" and you'd have access to hyper sonic, I tried the 2 Easter egg in the modern SRB2 (2.2) and I don't think the easter eggs work anymore. Either I'm just an idiot or the devs removed it. If they did then..why?

Last edited:
they removed it because there are fully fledged special stages, plus red volcano can be normally accessed outside of gfz1. there just is no reason to have that easter egg anymore.

Still, people WOULD still want to see what Red Volcano use to look like in beta, though, I guess the hyper sonic easteregg wouldn't be needed anymore, because you have access to it in a mod or using the consle. Hopefully RedXI can ATLEAST make a appearence.

there's a mod called "final demo zone" in releases, which has all of the original zones from the final demo release. while there is no Red XI, you can still access the original red volcano from the little house in greenflower zone 1.

they removed it because there are fully fledged special stages, plus red volcano can be normally accessed outside of gfz1. there just is no reason to have that easter egg anymore.

No, not quite.

Some background: RedXVI was originally a character that appeared in the Sonic fangame Sonic MADventure, as an "alter ego" of the guy who actually made the game (and went by the same name). Incidentally, RedXVI the actual person also composed most of Mystic Realm's soundtrack, as well as the music that goes with the story in the intro. Meanwhile, RedXVI the character was first included in SRB2 as an easter egg in Demo 4, where he appeared in CEZ2 and referenced his appearance in MADventure. There's not much more to be said about this secret though, it really just seems to be a secret advertising the creator's fangame?

Anyway, the Red Volcano Zone 1 included in 1.09 through 1.09.4 was at the time only a beta, and RedXVI (returning from Demo 4) of course served as the method to get to said beta level. Also in these versions, an eighth black emerald was added to allow you to turn into "Hyper Sonic", obtained through another elaborate secret involving RedXVI as you already know. (There was also another RedXVI secret allowing you to obtain the "God Menu", which is basically an old name for Pandora's Box.)

In 2.0 however, Red Volcano Zone 1 was no longer a beta nor secret, and there was no more black emerald (or Hyper Sonic), so RedXVI was no longer useful for these two secrets at least. Instead, he was resprited as a pope, and hidden in the then-remade CEZ2, where he sends you to heaven instead of hell. "Heaven" being Neo Aerial Garden Zone, that is.

In 2.1 onwards RedXVI no longer makes a cameo in SRB2. I think part of the reasoning for this was that most people around no longer understood what the character was originally referencing anymore. (As proven here, everyone knows him mostly for the old RVZ1 secret these days.) Even so, there are still a few references to RedXVI left in SRB2 even today. =)

(Most of this is explained in more detail in this page on the wiki, by the way: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/RedXVI)

Last edited:
Ah. I figured he was removed for similar reasons that the Pure Fat intro was taken out. SRB2 has a more professional feel to it now, so now an echidna fan character stands out. At least, that's what I thought. Dunno why the Black Emerald was taken out, though. Now there's no legitimate way to get Hyper Sonic.

(YAY REDXVI HAS A REFERENCE IN 2.2) If you get 200 emblems, go to his house in GFZ1 and a note will be left on his house for you to read! (No Spoilers)

The dev team at the time (or at least the leads) probably just didn't want Hyper Sonic to stick around as a feature in SRB2.

Why? This was one of the few games to include Hyper Sonic. Even the official games haven't even referenced the transformation since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It was nice having one game (even if it was a fan game) that didn't forget about it. With all the unlockables obtained through emblems, why is Hyper not one of them?

Probably because there's not much point. Don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* Hyper Sonic and wish he was still in as a fully functional form (He exists as an easter egg- go into a super form with Sonic [I think any super character works?] and turn on god mode. It's color only but it's nice) but I don't think he'd serve much purpose. Hyper Sonic gave reason to go through double the special stages in S3&K, but SRB2 doesn't have as many levels as S3&K, it'd be absurdly difficult to even consider getting him in a playthrough- not to mention that'd be more maps.

But as an emblem reward it's... more 'eh'? It'd be neat (And far better of a bonus to include in Pandora's Box) but at that point why even bother? In SP it'd just be Super Sonic but with eternal armageddon (And prolly multithok) and in MP it'd probably not be accessible.

In the end... why have something if there's not much point to have it, other than to have it. In S3&K he was a difficult reward to obtain- you even gave up Super Form until you completed the Hyper Special Stages! But in SRB2 it'd probably just be "Eh" overall unless you spend time specifically making Hyper unique.

Why? This was one of the few games to include Hyper Sonic. Even the official games haven't even referenced the transformation since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It was nice having one game (even if it was a fan game) that didn't forget about it. With all the unlockables obtained through emblems, why is Hyper not one of them?

Say it with me now...

IIZUKA
HATES
THE
MASTER
EMERALDS

... which sucks because S3&K combined is no longer canon

Say it with me now...

IIZUKA
HATES
THE
MASTER
EMERALDS

... which sucks because S3&K combined is no longer canon

I don't think that's true. What was said is that they thought there were "too many emeralds." But even after deciding not to include them in gameplay, they've still made two canonical appearances after S3&K. In Sonic Adventure, when Tikal gives you visions of the past, you can see giant emeralds sitting atop pillars around the Master Emerald. What could those be, if not Super Emeralds? And then there's Sonic Mania, which shows us the grayed out (inactive) Super Emeralds in their S3&K positions around the Master Emerald. They're still canon. They just choose not to use them. Just like they choose not to use the Chaos Emeralds in the plot from Colors onward, due to the Hyper Go-On power of the Wisps being supposedly more potent.

I don't think that's true. What was said is that they thought there were "too many emeralds." But even after deciding not to include them in gameplay, they've still made two canonical appearances after S3&K. In Sonic Adventure, when Tikal gives you visions of the past, you can see giant emeralds sitting atop pillars around the Master Emerald. What could those be, if not Super Emeralds? And then there's Sonic Mania, which shows us the grayed out (inactive) Super Emeralds in their S3&K positions around the Master Emerald. They're still canon. They just choose not to use them. Just like they choose not to use the Chaos Emeralds in the plot from Colors onward, due to the Hyper Go-On power of the Wisps being supposedly more potent.

Iizuka was made the director of Sonic games after Sonic Riders in 2006 (I think. The decision was made somewhere around that time). And if anything, the big emeralds in SA1 were probably the Chaos Emeralds. After all, it was the past, so the emeralds might have changed form during that period of time. Maybe Chaos braking free from and then getting sealed in the Master Emerald was apart of the change of appearance.
As for Sonic Mania, is that game even canon? Apparently, it ties into Sonic Forces, what with the different dimension thing that I really hate. I don't even know if Sonic Forces should be canon, but I guess it is. If that's the case, the Super Emeralds come from a different time, what with the Classic Sonic games being in a different canon from the Modern Sonic games.

audible sigh

thanks, iizuka

Iizuka was made the director of Sonic games after Sonic Riders in 2006 (I think. The decision was made somewhere around that time). And if anything, the big emeralds in SA1 were probably the Chaos Emeralds. After all, it was the past, so the emeralds might have changed form during that period of time. Maybe Chaos braking free from and then getting sealed in the Master Emerald was apart of the change of appearance.
As for Sonic Mania, is that game even canon? Apparently, it ties into Sonic Forces, what with the different dimension thing that I really hate. I don't even know if Sonic Forces should be canon, but I guess it is. If that's the case, the Super Emeralds come from a different time, what with the Classic Sonic games being in a different canon from the Modern Sonic games.

audible sigh

thanks, iizuka

Chaos is seen surrounded by the typically sized Chaos Emeralds before going berserk on the echidnas. I don't know why he didn't just use the Super Emeralds that were right there, but that was probably just a plothole. Something they didn't think about. Or maybe the Master Emerald didn't approve of the slaughter and limited him to Chaos Emeralds. Who knows?

I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. The Super Emeralds haven't been wiped from the canon. They just don't want to have to deal with 14 emeralds in the games anymore. Even though they gave Blaze her own set of emeralds later (oops). If there's a canonical reason Sonic doesn't use the Super Emeralds anymore, it's probably that he can't take the Super Emeralds with him. I'm just wondering why there are still gray Super Emeralds around the Master Emerald altar. Did they not revert back into Chaos Emeralds? Did they leave behind empty husks? Are they entirely different entities, and the Chaos Emeralds just summon the Super Emeralds before scattering themselves? I dunno.

They decided to make things needlessly complex after Sonic Generations. Basically, the Classic Sonic that existed in that game split off into his own separate timeline instead of just being in "The past", and Mania takes place for him in this new timeline, which is referred to as it's own "Dimension" in Forces because apparently it wasn't confusing enough. (There's also the whole debacle of the Phantom Ruby and it working entirely differently between Mania and Forces, but I don't want to stray off topic too much)

Really what they should have done was just have it be all one big timeline with all the games taking place linearly. Mania could have fit cleanly after Sonic 3&K and before Sonic 4, but SEGA was insisting on separating the Classic and Modern stuff out for marketing purposes.

From what I have heard, the primary reason why they don't use the Super Emeralds anymore is because they are afraid that Hyper Sonic could cause seizures, but if that's the case then there's nothing stopping them from just giving the form a re-design.

From what I have heard, the primary reason why they don't use the Super Emeralds anymore is because they are afraid that Hyper Sonic could cause seizures, but if that's the case then there's nothing stopping them from just giving the form a re-design.

From what I've heard, epilepsy was more of a problem on older screens, due to the refresh rate. Nowadays, it's a lot less likely to happen. Besides, considering how different Super Sonic looks between games, I seriously doubt a modern Hyper Sonic would just flash solid colors like he used to. I imagine his quills would still change colors, but it'd be more subtle, like this:

fc55e9d13b1b316fc467324e00d6917a.png

I really don't get this mindset of indifference towards Hyper Sonic. Like would it really have been such a sin if Knuckles used the altar on the ARK to allow Sonic to go Hyper instead of Super at the end of SA2, for example? Or for Colors to have included it as an alternate skin for Super Sonic, since neither were canon in that game anyway? I mean, if we can get freaking Sanic in Sonic Forces, surely it's not that much to ask for Hyper Sonic to make an appearance.

...I feel like we might be derailing this thread now. We should probably make a Hyper Sonic discussion thread if we continue. lol

RedXVI also appears in SRB2 The Past in the entrance to the museum and the long-lost beta of RVZ's unlock method was recreated but this time you need all the emeralds to get to his house and jump on it three times

Sorry for being one of the people suddenly replying to this thread, but I believe Hyper Sonic wasn't even meant to be canon.
The Super Emeralds are just stone relics powered by the Chaos Emeralds.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back