What do you think of the games of the franchise not starring with sonic do you think they should return

Darknik

Sonic Maniac
well I made this thread to know your opinion of the games of the franchise not starring with sonic

In my opinion, I think they were a good way to give more background to the characters with stories centered on them, and in addition allowing us to play more with their abilities, the bad thing is that I have seen a lot of people who hate them because of which we do not have any more games of that style which is bad at least for me because I would like to see that the games will not focus so much on sonic and focus more on the other characters personally I would like a game starring with Tails or Eggman, although I see the second a little impossible, but hope is the last thing that is lost

Last edited:
Well, there weren't many of them, only Tails' Skypatrol and Adventure, Knuckles Chaotix and Shadow the Hedgehog.
And sadly many weren't well received.

But I'd still wish Chaotix would get a real re-release (either via a 32X compilation or in a remaster like for Sonic CD 2011).

PS: In my honest opinion I'd still wish to see a game centered around Fang, Bark and Bean but Sega doesn't really care about them.

PPS: I'd also love to see a game in the Sol Dimension with Blaze as the main character but she apparently got forgotten by Sega as well.

I generally see a lot of potential for alternative genre's in this direction. Spyro-like collectathon for Knuckles, Hack-n-slash type gameplay (think DMC) for Amy with her hammer, Detective-mystery type game for the Chaotix, etc. There's a lot of potential for the franchise to explore genre's that wouldn't really work for Sonic himself by making use of the rest of the cast.

I generally see a lot of potential for alternative genre's in this direction. Spyro-like collectathon for Knuckles, Hack-n-slash type gameplay (think DMC) for Amy with her hammer, Detective-mystery type game for the Chaotix, etc. There's a lot of potential for the franchise to explore genre's that wouldn't really work for Sonic himself by making use of the rest of the cast.
If Sega ever made a collectathon game with the Sonic IP I could hear many people complaining that "Sonic is about speed, not wasting time getting items" even if it wasn't Sonic as the main character.
Honestly I'd rather see a 3D Alex Kidd or Ristar game for that matter.

PS: if Shadow the Hedgehog was actually a more colorful game in a more cartoony (aka less realistic) environment without a big emphasis on story and with Fang as the main character with a gun, would have it been more accepted by fans and critics?

If Sega ever made a collectathon game with the Sonic IP I could hear many people complaining that "Sonic is about speed, not wasting time getting items" even if it wasn't Sonic as the main character.
Honestly I'd rather see a 3D Alex Kidd or Ristar game for that matter.

PS: if Shadow the Hedgehog was actually a more colorful game in a more cartoony (aka less realistic) environment without a big emphasis on story and with Fang as the main character with a gun, would have it been more accepted by fans and critics?
People complain about the mainline games, so I don't really see how that's really any different.

As for a more cartoony Fang game, he's an obscure enough character that I'm not really sure how overall popular such a game would be, but I can definitely imagine it having it's own cult following.

The biggest problem is that Sega doesn't know what to actually do with Shadow...

And most of the time he's a 1:1 character with Sonic (especially in Forces' Episode Shadow) or he's using guns (like in his game and 2006).

If only there was a way to make him feel different but without having to use gimmicks such as weapons or vehicles...

I would really like to see Tails or Knuckles get their own games again. Not that I think Sonic Team is qualified to do either concept justice, but if they were, it would be nice to see.

I would really like to see Tails or Knuckles get their own games again. Not that I think Sonic Team is qualified to do either concept justice, but if they were, it would be nice to see.
I doubt Sonic Team knows what to do with Tails or Knuckles.

But it wouldn't be rocket science either to actually put Tails and Knuckles in proper stages like Sonic. The last time they could was in the Advance trilogy (and maybe Rivals if the dualogy counts).

With some level design tweaking they would've been capable of making something like this

Or this

There's a reason why I love Sonic 3&K and Robo Blast 2, it allows to do that without any big changes.

Even to this day I'm mad that Sega didn't allow Adventure 1 to have a mode where you could play as Tails in all of Sonic's levels in Trial mode...

There's a reason why I love Sonic 3&K and Robo Blast 2, it allows to do that without any big changes.
I have to give you the reason, I never understood Sega's need to only make Sonic and Classic playable I Play all the classic Sonic games with tails and I find it a bit strange that you can no longer play with other characters apart from Sonic and Classic I do not know much about how difficult it is to make them playable but there are fangames that add other characters in addition to sonic and they are great games like sonic roboblast 2 itself and they do not put them in a mech or some unnecessary mechanics

Last edited:
I have to give you the reason, I never understood Sega's need to only make Sonic and Classic playable I Play all the classic Sonic games with tails and I find it a bit strange that you can no longer play with other characters apart from Sonic and Classic I do not know much about how difficult it is to make them playable but there are fangames that add other characters in addition to sonic and they are great games like sonic roboblast 2 itself and they do not put them in a mech or some unnecessary mechanics
Well, I can understand that with how Adventure 1 and 2 were planned (between the fact SA1 was a RPG at first and SA2 not having Tails being playable before they made him a clone of Robotnik gameplay-wise).

But on the other hand Heroes is a game where you could play as many characters in the same levels but the major problem is that they force you to redo the game 4 times.

Then after the Adventure era Unleashed had the Werehog and Colors had the Wisps but this is not impossible to finally have a game with boost where there is only 3D sections and no gimmicks added.

Forces was a nail that showed us that Sega aren't able to actually trust Modern Sonic enough to just do a new game with only him.

As for the classic games I'm glad Tails (and Knuckles) are playable in the mobile remasters of Sonic 1, 2 and CD but two of them are stuck on mobile.

Since we seem to be on the topic of character potential, Blaze has a LOT of it, provided she's from another dimension. Imagine how much could be done by just expanding on the Sol dimension.

Since we seem to be on the topic of character potential, Blaze has a LOT of it, provided she's from another dimension. Imagine how much could be done by just expanding on the Sol dimension.
Sol Dimension is much better than it being the future according to 06.

Blaze also needs to return.

Blaze is genuinely one of the most disappointing characters in the franchise. It felt like the Sonic franchise was about to get a whole lot bigger about the time of Rush Adventure, they had this whole other world to tell stories in and expand on. So many questions left unanswered. What kind of country is Blaze the princess of? Are there other countries in her dimension? What exactly are the Sol Emeralds? What makes them different from the Chaos Emeralds? Where did Blaze even get her fire powers from? If she was born with them, how did that come to be?

What makes it even more painful is that Blaze is genuinely one of the more badass and interesting characters in the franchise, and they've basically opted to relegate her to a cameo with absolutely no relevance to the plot moving forward. That same exact problem persists across the rest of the canon as well. Everyone who isn't Sonic, Tails, or Eggman gets shafted to various degrees and there's no narrative consistency from game to game despite them existing on a shared canonical timeline. It's something I desperately want to see fixed.

06 never said the Sol Dimension was the future, but I agree
06 is kinda confusing though. For some reason Blaze comes from Silver's future in that game, even though in all her other appearances around that time she's from another dimension. Worse, she even reacts to talk about a "Blue Hedgehog" as though she knows one, as if to imply it's the same Blaze as from Rush, even though it narratively couldn't be. Not only is the future not an alternate dimension, but the Blaze from Rush had issues trusting others whereas the Blaze in 06 grew up with Silver.

Blaze is genuinely one of the most disappointing characters in the franchise. It felt like the Sonic franchise was about to get a whole lot bigger about the time of Rush Adventure, they had this whole other world to tell stories in and expand on. So many questions left unanswered. What kind of country is Blaze the princess of? Are there other countries in her dimension? What exactly are the Sol Emeralds? What makes them different from the Chaos Emeralds? Where did Blaze even get her fire powers from? If she was born with them, how did that come to be?

What makes it even more painful is that Blaze is genuinely one of the more badass and interesting characters in the franchise, and they've basically opted to relegate her to a cameo with absolutely no relevance to the plot moving forward. That same exact problem persists across the rest of the canon as well. Everyone who isn't Sonic, Tails, or Eggman gets shafted to various degrees and there's no narrative consistency from game to game despite them existing on a shared canonical timeline. It's something I desperately want to see fixed.
Agreed a lot! She was well written (even if, like Shadow, she started as a cold person quite ironic for a pyromancer but started to open up to other people) and had a lot of potential to be a very interesting character (and possibly even the best female character in the franchise) but Sega ditched her... Maybe they got jealous that Dimps actually did a better job than the Sonic Team.

06 never said the Sol Dimension was the future, but I agree
Actually it was implied that Eggman Nega was a descendant of Eggman and Silver was Sonic's... unless it was just a theory that I came into and thought it was canon...

The only thing that "made sense" in 2006 was that her pyromancing abilities came from her sealing Iblis in herself so she could use those powers

Agreed a lot! She was well written (even if, like Shadow, she started as a cold person quite ironic for a pyromancer but started to open up to other people) and had a lot of potential to be a very interesting character (and possibly even the best female character in the franchise) but Sega ditched her... Maybe they got jealous that Dimps actually did a better job than the Sonic Team.

Actually it was implied that Eggman Nega was a descendant of Eggman and Silver was Sonic's... unless it was just a theory that I came into and thought it was canon...

The only thing that "made sense" in 2006 was that her pyromancing abilities came from her sealing Iblis in herself so she could use those powers
Rush does take place in a separate timeline and Nega could have crossed dimensions to invade there when Sonic’s world wasn’t viable because of Sonic

Never have played a sonic game without sonic, but I hear some games like chaotix has some really good music.
Post automatically merged:

Never have played a sonic game without sonic, but I hear some games like chaotix has some really good music.
though some of the non-sonic stories in adventure 1 are kinda good

Knuckles' Chaotix has a pretty great OST (and not just Door to Summer).
The game itself is a bit empty and maybe too easy (especially with the live removal).
Though some of the non-sonic stories in adventure 1 are kinda good
Agreed, especially for Gamma... but on the other hand we had to play as Amy and Big and those weren't that good.
And I'm still half-annoyed that Tails and Knuckles couldn't play in all of Sonic's stages after their main story as a non-canon bonus.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back