What do you think is Sonic's true characterization? Or in other words, how should he be written?

junioX

あなたが見たもの、それがあなたの手に入れたものだ!ただの冒険好きな男です!
Sonic, truly, is not a character, but a metaphor, for all that is good. Sonic is a being that does whatever he wants. He doesn't have morals, he doesn't do things because it's socially considered to be "good". He just does whatever he wants, and it just so happens that what he wants to do IS good. He does not help people or save the day because it's ethical. He does whatever he wants and what he wanted to do was help people. Sonic isn't a hero and he doesn't consider himself one because he just does whatever he wants. Sonic IS good itself. Sonic brings positive change to everyone around him.

Sonic is "Just a guy who loves adventure!" Sonic's true best friend isn't Tails. Yes, he cares about his friends, but he loves his adventures more. And his favorite things are just running around, exploring the world. Involving evil or not, his favorite things are the adventures that he goes on, and he can't have his adventures if he doesn't have the ground under his feet to run on. His true best friend is The Earth.

Sonic is the symbol of good and life while Eggman is the symbol of humanity. Eggman could never change because he is the symbol of humanity, and as long as humanity continues to exist, it will continue to do evil. Eggman IS evil. The reason why Sonic does not kill eggman is because he is not a hero. In that case, killing eggman would be the most heroic thing to do, because by killing eggman, you would save countless lives. But Sonic doesn't do that because he lives for the adventures that Eggman creates. But he knows that in the end, everything will be alright and that he will come out victorious against eggman forever. As long as sonic continues to live and run, he will continue to defeat eggman and do good. And as long as Eggman continues to live he will continue to try and defeat Sonic and do evil. Eggman is the paragon of evil, while Sonic is the paragon of Good. These two co-exist with perfect balance.

When Sonic transforms and turns into Super Sonic, that's not him using the Chaos Emeralds to turn into a Super Saiyan. Neither is it just a power boost. Super Sonic is also a metaphor. A metaphor of everyone's hopes and dreams. Whenever Sonic transforms, he is literally using the collective hope of everyone to defeat the enemy. When Sonic transformed during SA1, he was using the hopes of everyone in station square to defeat Perfect Chaos. When he transformed during SA2, he was using the hopes of everyone on Earth to stop the Ark. When he transformed during Heroes, 06, Unleashed, he was using the hopes of everyone around him. When he transformed in Black Knight, he was using the hopes of The Knights of the Roundtable to defeat Merlina. You get the point. Secret Rings is a special case. Sonic and the Secret Rings themes were that of an abusive relationship between the Erazor Djinn and Sharah. Sharah was used and treated like trash by the Erazor Djinn but yet she still cared for him. And when Sonic absorbed the rage, sadness and hatred rings and turned into Darkspine Sonic, he became a metaphor for Sharah's rage, hatred and sadness towards the Erazor Djinn. So in that way, Sonic used those negative emotions for good, because he IS good. And in the end, when the Erazor Djinn is defeated, and Sharah has to leave this abusive person behind her that she cares for, and it was painful and heartbreaking for her, but Sonic was there to be a shoulder for her to cry on. He brought out positive change in Sharah.

That is the Original Character for Sonic, ever since the original game. Ever since Sonic Colors a lot of stuff with his character has.... changed to say the least. but this is the version of him I vehemently prefer. But I want to hear your guys' ideal sonic characterization.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, I forgot to mention that Sonic had an attitude. This is not to say that he was cocky or anything, but that he was kinda rude in a playful way.

I think Sonic should be written as he was in the Adventure games (SA1 & SA2) the cocky, cool attitude and don't take shit from nobody type Sonic, I feel like that is TRUE Sonic to me at least (Sonic's characterization in Black Knight, Secret Rings and Frontiers are close tho)

I think Sonic should be written as he was in the Adventure games (SA1 & SA2) the cocky, cool attitude and don't take shit from nobody type Sonic, I feel like that is TRUE Sonic to me at least (Sonic's characterization in Black Knight, Secret Rings and Frontiers are close tho)
Tbh I think Frontiers has a pretty bad story, and the fact that the characterization is bad too doesn't help it at all. I don't like how Frontiers does any of the characters. But the way Sonic is handled in the adventure games is a pretty clean blend of the American and Japan characterization that I really like.

Tbh I think Frontiers has a pretty bad story, and the fact that the characterization is bad too doesn't help it at all. I don't like how Frontiers does any of the characters. But the way Sonic is handled in the adventure games is a pretty clean blend of the American and Japan characterization that I really like.
Damn, I liked Sonic Frontiers story (It's actually one of my top 5 favorite Sonic stories), I know, it's not that close to characterization to the Adventure games, but at least I can tell Ian Flynn actually care about Sonic as a character instead of the writers who wrote the 2010s games

I didn't really like the Story of Frontiers, but the Story of a game doesn't really affect my ability to like other parts of it. There are parts of Frontiers that I like, like the music. While I don't really like Ian's writing, I still really enjoy the IDW Comics. Because... well because it's just so damn cool. The battle on Angel Island really does it for me even though I didn't think it was very well written. It's just friggin' cool!

Same thing goes for games like Sonic CD. Gameplay wise, it's highly inferior to the other classic games. But still, it's my absolute favorite because of it's themes, aesthetic, music, cutscenes etc.

I'll still never get over Shadow just pulling up with the gun truck during the metal virus saga lol

Last edited:
I think Sonic should be written as he was in the Adventure games (SA1 & SA2) the cocky, cool attitude and don't take shit from nobody type Sonic
I feel like that's what Sonic is missing. He's missing what made him cool, lovable, and not "LET'S JOKE AROUND ALL THE TIME" dude.

(Looking at you Sonic Prime)

Sonic, truly, is not a character, but a metaphor, for all that is good. Sonic is a being that does whatever he wants. He doesn't have morals, he doesn't do things because it's socially considered to be "good". He just does whatever he wants, and it just so happens that what he wants to do IS good. He does not help people or save the day because it's ethical. He does whatever he wants and what he wanted to do was help people. Sonic isn't a hero and he doesn't consider himself one because he just does whatever he wants. Sonic IS good itself. Sonic brings positive change to everyone around him.

Sonic is "Just a guy who loves adventure!" Sonic's true best friend isn't Tails. Yes, he cares about his friends, but he loves his adventures more. And his favorite things are just running around, exploring the world. Involving evil or not, his favorite things are the adventures that he goes on, and he can't have his adventures if he doesn't have the ground under his feet to run on. His true best friend is The Earth.

Sonic is the symbol of good and life while Eggman is the symbol of humanity. Eggman could never change because he is the symbol of humanity, and as long as humanity continues to exist, it will continue to do evil. Eggman IS evil. The reason why Sonic does not kill eggman is because he is not a hero. In that case, killing eggman would be the most heroic thing to do, because by killing eggman, you would save countless lives. But Sonic doesn't do that because he lives for the adventures that Eggman creates. But he knows that in the end, everything will be alright and that he will come out victorious against eggman forever. As long as sonic continues to live and run, he will continue to defeat eggman and do good. And as long as Eggman continues to live he will continue to try and defeat Sonic and do evil. Eggman is the paragon of evil, while Sonic is the paragon of Good. These two co-exist with perfect balance.

When Sonic transforms and turns into Super Sonic, that's not him using the Chaos Emeralds to turn into a Super Saiyan. Neither is it just a power boost. Super Sonic is also a metaphor. A metaphor of everyone's hopes and dreams. Whenever Sonic transforms, he is literally using the collective hope of everyone to defeat the enemy. When Sonic transformed during SA1, he was using the hopes of everyone in station square to defeat Perfect Chaos. When he transformed during SA2, he was using the hopes of everyone on Earth to stop the Ark. When he transformed during Heroes, 06, Unleashed, he was using the hopes of everyone around him. When he transformed in Black Knight, he was using the hopes of The Knights of the Roundtable to defeat Merlina. You get the point. Secret Rings is a special case. Sonic and the Secret Rings themes were that of an abusive relationship between the Erazor Djinn and Sharah. Sharah was used and treated like trash by the Erazor Djinn but yet she still cared for him. And when Sonic absorbed the rage, sadness and hatred rings and turned into Darkspine Sonic, he became a metaphor for Sharah's rage, hatred and sadness towards the Erazor Djinn. So in that way, Sonic used those negative emotions for good, because he IS good. And in the end, when the Erazor Djinn is defeated, and Sharah has to leave this abusive person behind her that she cares for, and it was painful and heartbreaking for her, but Sonic was there to be a shoulder for her to cry on. He brought out positive change in Sharah.

That is the Original Character for Sonic, ever since the original game. Ever since Sonic Colors a lot of stuff with his character has.... changed to say the least. but this is the version of him I vehemently prefer. But I want to hear your guys' ideal sonic characterization.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, I forgot to mention that Sonic had an attitude. This is not to say that he was cocky or anything, but that he was kinda rude in a playful way.
welp, time to make this my signature

I think he's at his best with archie sonic's snarkyness X sonic's chill and black knight sonic's serious when needed and heroic spirit,
easily his best character traits,

Honestly I enjoy every characterization Sonic has had in the official games, even the cringey ones such as Colors and Forces. However, there are certain aspects that I think fit his character better and that I'd enjoy as more consistent inclusions in his writing.

I'd sum up Sonic's best and most defining character traits as this:
He tends to be rather chill and laid back when in non-threatening situations.

He's prone to using quips in an attempt to annoy his enemies, giving him an upper hand.

He's not all that concerned with morality. He doesn't see himself as a "Good guy" or "Hero", and doesn't do what he does for the sake of doing "the right thing". He's just a guy who loves adventure, he's in it for the thrill. Because of this he is also prone to impatience and can get bored quickly when there's something big and exciting that grabs his attention but something prevents him from acting on it.

There's nothing he loves more than freedom, not only for himself but for others. When he sees others being forced to do things against their will or held in captivity, it angers him. No matter what, he will never turn his back on those who need his help, and is so stubborn about this that he will even sometimes force his assistance onto those who don't want it. They might not be happy with him because of it, but all he cares about is that they're free. They don't have to like him.

He has a tendency to see the good in others, even if he's not always vocal about it. He has nothing against being an absolute menace towards those who attack him and his friends, but he always goes out of his way to give them a chance to change their ways even though he's not always obvious about it.

He has a bad habit of bearing too much of the burden in a situation on his own shoulders. Sometimes this is because he tries to show off, and sometimes it's because it pains him to see others struggling to handle a serious situation. He tries to improve in this regard and be more of a team player, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a loner at heart despite being very sociable.

He has another bad habit of often acting without thinking things through completely. His mind moves just as fast as his feet, but he also acts just as soon as he arrives at a conclusion which sometimes can get him into trouble. He really struggles with slowing down and carefully examining a situation, which is part of the reason why he tends to prefer traveling around with Tails. Tails is analytical by nature and has a good instinct when it comes to something being a trap, which is very useful for keeping Sonic from doing something stupid... Most of the time.

Finally, he has a general tendency of being humble, although he does on occasion jokingly brag about himself. However, he does have one genuine ego point which is in regards to his speed. Being the fastest is a matter of pride for him and he takes it very seriously.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back