What do you think about the possibility of the new Sonic game being an open world?

Darknik

Sonic Maniac
Well, there have been a lot of leaks saying that the new Sonic game could be an open world, what do you think you like the idea of an open world sonic or not?

Personally, I don't like the idea

it is too risky to go from sonic forces that had linear paths to an open world there are many things that can go wrong in a sonic combined with an open world and I don't think the the sonic team is capable of making a good open world if they couldn't even give us a good sonic in years

Depends on what they mean by open world, do they mean hubs similar to Adventure and Unleashed? or big playgrounds similar to Sonic GT?

Either way I'm not against the idea as long as Sonic's Moveset is well refined, I liked being able to mess around with Sonic's physics, speed and abilities in Sonic GT and wouldn't mind if they can do something similar to that, but I'm not sure if Sonic Team can pull it off, will have to wait and see.

Eh, would have liked an adventure game. Sonic might be the only playable character.
Last best sonic game was Unleashed

adventure, adventure 2, heroes, 06, and unleashed ultimate when :knuxsmug:
ig adventure - 06 are all adventure games so they could be released in a bundle but i think its likely itd just be sa1, sa2, and heroes if that, probably will just be sa1 and sa2

looking on the positive side it shows that they are being ambitious with the game
Sonic's last ambitious game was Sonic Unleashed

apart from the fact that it seems that they are going to improve the story basing it on an old civilization

and that the name Sonic Rangers suggests that Sonic will not be the only playable character

Last edited:
This game is going to have had 5 years of development, with the earliest “known” demo existing in January 2021. It supposedly is taking inspiration from BoTW and has sole fantastical elements present in the game. I think given the long planning phase ranging from at least 2018-2021, this game is going to have had a lot more thought put into it and should be worth playing

No thanks, I want to see Sega focusing on what is working already before making any new thing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Open World games have a bit of a long history with being giant, open locations with a lot of spectacle but not much actual substance. They tend to be better when the explorable area is smaller, though given Sonic's signature speed that kind of design could be a bit of a problem as the world could end up feeling too small. There's also other open world games with long development times such as Cyberpunk 2077 that ended up releasing in a sub-par state. Additionally, Open World Sonic has never properly been attempted before, so there's no existing blueprint to work off of to make such a thing work.

However, those worries aside I get the impression as though SEGA is trying to push Sonic into a new era and use this game to push Sonic out if his recent mediocrity slump, so I'm somewhat optimistic that they might have some good ideas going on here that could make this idea work. Additionally, I really like the idea of having an open world area in which to search for the Chaos Emeralds in, and I really hope for a playable Super Sonic that can actually fly through the open world in the post game.

If more characters are playable than just Sonic, there's also a lot of potential here for there to be places in the explorable area that can only be accessed using the specific abilities of each character, such as Tails flying up to a high place or Knuckles smashing a boulder blocking a path. The sidequest potential for this is rather enticing, and it would be great if we could get more of a personality spotlight on several characters such as Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, etc. as well as some nice character interactions. I imagine to switch characters, you'd simply need to go to their "home" in the overworld and speak to them, with unique dialogue depending on who you are currently playing as. Perhaps you could even form Heroes-like teams to switch between on the fly to make use of several abilities at once?

I may sound pessimistic and contrarian but no, we don't need an open world sonic game, we just want a good sonic game.

If an open world was made it should be done by fans, not by the Sonic Team.

I'm sorry but the last good sonic game (by most people) was Colors and it was pretty much a closed game (being on the Wii and in a less powerful engine than the Hedgehog one) and I see why they chose this one to remaster.

I just want another boost game but with Sonic only, multiple branching paths, no wisps nor any gimmicks and only Modern Sonic in fully 3D stages (no 2.5D sections), nothing more.

We don't need Sega to get ambitious with Sonic, we want a simple yet effectively good game.

I'm sorry but the last good sonic game (by most people) was Colors and it was pretty much a closed game (being on the Wii and in a less powerful engine than the Hedgehog one) and I see why they chose this one to remaster.

I just want another boost game but with Sonic only, multiple branching paths, no wisps nor any gimmicks and only Modern Sonic in fully 3D stages (no 2.5D sections), nothing more.
“As long as there are those who remember what was, there will always be those who cannot accept what can be”

I’d argue that we need an open world Sonic game because he needs one big game to get him back on his feet. The Boost Formula is getting tired out by this point, so there’s no point in trying to keep using it

“As long as there are those who remember what was, there will always be those who cannot accept what can be”

I’d argue that we need an open world Sonic game because he needs one big game to get him back on his feet. The Boost Formula is getting tired out by this point, so there’s no point in trying to keep using it
The Boost formula has proven that it was the more viable gameplay for Sonic in 3D...

I doubt Sega could handle Open World properly (especially compared to Nintendo)

The Boost formula has proven that it was the more viable gameplay for Sonic in 3D...

I doubt Sega could handle Open World properly (especially compared to Nintendo)
But you’re doubting that they’re actually trying to make a good game because they made three or four mediocre games over the past 15 years

Many people hate the boost formula (I'm not one of them) and they want to discover the level instead so yes it's a good idea from sonic team and i have a feeling that the game will success and become great
We hope too that they add more playable characters Ande nice level design

But you’re doubting that they’re actually trying to make a good game because they made three or four mediocre games over the past 15 years
Absolutely, I don't care what people think but the last time Sega got ambitious with the Sonic series we got Sonic 2006.

I'm sorry for being cautious about it.

Absolutely, I don't care what people think but the last time Sega got ambitious with the Sonic series we got Sonic 2006.

I'm sorry for being cautious about it.
They were ambitious about it, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was trying to have it release in time for Christmas and be an Xbox 360 launch title, which didn’t allow them to iron out the kinks or rewrite certain parts of the script

They were ambitious about it, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was trying to have it release in time for Christmas and be an Xbox 360 launch title, which didn’t allow them to iron out the kinks or rewrite certain parts of the script
In other words making an entirely new game?

Sorry but I'd rather see more "Bottle Episodes" like Colors and Generations over them trying to do something different every time.

Sorry but I'd rather see more "Bottle Episodes" like Colors and Generations over them trying to do something different every time.
In other words, fixing the game that they were already making. It’s all part of the development process and I don’t think you realize that

Open World games are a huge, highly ambitious undertaking. If a team of professionals working off a budget can't pull one off, fans definitely can't. The only Sonic fangames I've ever seen going with the whole open world idea basically amount to Sonic boosting around an empty field with maybe the occasional badnik to boost through. I've never once seen an actually good open world Sonic fangame, and I don't ever expect to.

Personally, I'm tired of Sonic Team always playing it safe and don't try to innovate and I'm glad they are finally trying to do something different

In general, the boost made me tired, it is not a bad mechanics but it has already reached its peak in Generatios and I do not think that it is necessary to use it all the time innovation is necessary if you do not innovate, you stagnate and forget over time is the rule of the industry

The only thing that achieves the mentality of wanting Sonic to be always the same is to make the franchise be forgotten over time

Pss: I don't like the idea of an open world Sonic either, it's a very risky change and I don't have confidence in the Sonic Team to do it right.

Last edited:
I don't think you're getting what I said, Sonic Utopia is already 100x better than anything Sega has done, will still probably be better than that so-called "Sonic Rangers" and Forces.

Also if it ain't broken don't try fixing it

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back