What do you think About Smash Bros History and how you feel about the game as a whole?

Mr Kixx Reborn

Let's give it all we got!
On January 21st, 1999, Super Smash Bros was released for the N64 and starting one of the most well known video game franchises of all time. I personally started off with brawl but recently I have been playing melee and have gotten a liking to the older games. Now the series has had it fair share of "meh" and "wow!" moments. Once brawl came we finally got the addition of 3rd party characters, while only two of them it was still amazing we finally got 3rd party characters. With those being Solid Snake and of course, Sonic The Hedgehog. When sonic was revealed the internet went crazy, here are some messages from October 2007 a little bit after his reveal: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/yes-...-hunter-wii-soniku-in-sumabura.197522/page-18.

Keep in mind these were from 2007. The fact is the game originally intended to be released in 2007 but the game got delayed twice and released on January 31st, 2008. Brawl is said to be the most hated smash game due to it being slow, and you could really tell due to how the previous game "Super Smash Bros Melee" played. Competitive players had seen that as a problem and more people felt less fun playing the game, but people didn't come to see that Brawl actually shines in many ways, such as the subspace emissary. The story is flat out amazing and can really attract players to becoming more interested in what comes next as the story progresses, and while it may be slower than the other smash games, you can still find it enjoyable.

Now Smash 4 (Aka Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U) is a mixed bag and that's mostly due to what Bayonetta turned out to be, but I have a segment for her later. The game had done a few new things such as bringing back old characters such as Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Roy who never came to Brawl. Smash 4 was also the first smash game to include DLC such as Cloud from Final Fantasy and Bayonetta from well, Bayonetta. Now Smash 4 had a bit of a mix up with the roster revealing a bunch of new characters such as: Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, Mega Man, Robin, Lucina, Little Mac and many more. The Game was decent overall but now it's time to get to the main point of how Smash 4 decreased in popularity due to one character.

Now at the time people voted for who they wanted the next DLC to be. The votes came in and Bayonetta was the #1 pick for next DLC character, and sometime later during that month, Bayonetta was revealed as the next and final DLC character for Smash 4. People were excited that she was coming, but once she came out everything changed. A lot of competitive players were starting to use Bayonetta just so they could win due to how overpowered she was, at one of the biggest Smash tournaments ever with that being Evo, the grand finals was Bayonetta vs Bayonetta. And the two players were just stalling time by holding their bullets. Everyone there was unhappy that they were just fooling around and it even got to the point where one of the managers had to come in and tell them to start playing. Because of this Bayonetta became hated among everyone and she was even banned at some tournaments. Even when she was nerfed she was still the best fighter in the game and no one was taking her throne of best fighter. Because of her some people even left Smash Bros as a whole, and you could see that no one was happy when she was revealed to be in ultimate, but thankfully she was not the beast she was in this game.

Now here we are, Super Smash Bros Ultimate(Aka Super Smash Bros Special in Japan). The reason it being called "special in japan" was become 1. Sakurai wanted this to be known as a special game and 2. People Japan know the word special way more than ultimate and ultimate isn't really easy for Japanese people to say. When they said everybody is here, they were not lying, because everyone was here. People such as Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Young Link, and Pichu had returned in ultimate. Sakurai stated that a lot of people wanted this so he said and I quote "We made the impossible, possible". This was also when the majority of the rosters final smashes were changed. He stated that every final smash was straight to the point so you could get right back to fighting. There isn't really to much history I can go through with this game since it's the current smash game. So for now we just have to wait and see what comes next for smash in the future.

P.S: The DLC is amazing

Now that you've read this I want to know what you think about the history and how you think about the franchise as a whole.

I like Brawl, but I've never really been the competitive type. The only competitive game I've ever played avidly was TF2, and even then I only ever did so casually, often on funny/unbalanced maps. As such, the problems with Brawl were always less impactful to me. It's a lot of fun as a single player experience, especially in the Subspace Emissary.

Keep in mind these were from 2007. The fact is the game originally intended to be released in 2007 but the game got delayed twice and released on January 31st, 2008. Brawl is said to be the most hated smash game due to it being slow, and you could really tell due to how the previous game "Super Smash Bros Melee" played. Competitive players had seen that as a problem and more people felt less fun playing the game, but people didn't come to see that Brawl actually shines in many ways, such as the subspace emissary. The story is flat out amazing and can really attract players to becoming more interested in what comes next as the story progresses, and while it may be slower than the other smash games, you can still find it enjoyable.
I wouldn't say the game is hated. The people that are the most vocal about it are the ones in the competitive scene, where it is indeed a bumbling mess. Even then, they all say that they don't hate the game simply because of it's story mode and it's fun in casual play. It's not a hated game (after all, it was the best-selling Smash game before Ultimate).
Now Smash 4 (Aka Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U) is a mixed bag and that's mostly due to what Bayonetta turned out to be, but I have a segment for her later. The game had done a few new things such as bringing back old characters such as Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Roy who never came to Brawl. Smash 4 was also the first smash game to include DLC such as Cloud from Final Fantasy and Bayonetta from well, Bayonetta. Now Smash 4 had a bit of a mix up with the roster revealing a bunch of new characters such as: Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, Mega Man, Robin, Lucina, Little Mac and many more. The Game was decent overall but now it's time to get to the main point of how Smash 4 decreased in popularity due to one character.
The game was not a mixed bag, imo, and it definitely wasn't because of Bayonetta. The game has plenty of merit and was extremely popular in competitive play due to it's tech not seen in other Smash games at the time. Heck, there's things you can do in that game that you can't do in Ultimate. There's also the fact that it was the first time you could play Smash on the go and that it introduced Smash Run, which is basically diet SSE.
Now at the time people voted for who they wanted the next DLC to be. The votes came in and Bayonetta was the #1 pick for next DLC character, and sometime later during that month, Bayonetta was revealed as the next and final DLC character for Smash 4. People were excited that she was coming, but once she came out everything changed. A lot of competitive players were starting to use Bayonetta just so they could win due to how overpowered she was, at one of the biggest Smash tournaments ever with that being Evo, the grand finals was Bayonetta vs Bayonetta. And the two players were just stalling time by holding their bullets. Everyone there was unhappy that they were just fooling around and it even got to the point where one of the managers had to come in and tell them to start playing. Because of this Bayonetta became hated among everyone and she was even banned at some tournaments. Even when she was nerfed she was still the best fighter in the game and no one was taking her throne of best fighter. Because of her some people even left Smash Bros as a whole, and you could see that no one was happy when she was revealed to be in ultimate, but thankfully she was not the beast she was in this game.
This wasn't the reason why Bayonetta was hated. I wouldn't even say that she was hated because she still a character that you have to learn, similar to Fox in Melee. The main reason why people weren't so fond of her is because they stopped updating the game soon after she released and put their focus on Ultimate. Bayonetta received a couple of nerfs, but that wouldn't really stop players from using what already works.
Now here we are, Super Smash Bros Ultimate(Aka Super Smash Bros Special in Japan). The reason it being called "special in japan" was become 1. Sakurai wanted this to be known as a special game and 2. People Japan know the word special way more than ultimate and ultimate isn't really easy for Japanese people to say. When they said everybody is here, they were not lying, because everyone was here. People such as Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Young Link, and Pichu had returned in ultimate. Sakurai stated that a lot of people wanted this so he said and I quote "We made the impossible, possible". This was also when the majority of the rosters final smashes were changed. He stated that every final smash was straight to the point so you could get right back to fighting. There isn't really to much history I can go through with this game since it's the current smash game. So for now we just have to wait and see what comes next for smash in the future.
There is a bit more to this game than "Everyone is Here!" Because everyone is indeed here, this paved way for every new character to be unique in their moveset. On top of that, this is the game where we started crossing every single line of possibility. We have Joker, Minecraft Steve, Terry, Banjo and Kazooie, and, most importantly, Sephiroth. Now, I'm not a Final Fantasy fan in the slightest, but the reason I say Sephiroth is the most important is because Square Enix allowed Nintendo to use the entirety of the Final Fantasy series for Smash when it used to be restricted to calling it Final Fantasy VII, having only one character, and allowing only two non-remixed songs. They let Nintendo represent FF the way it should've been in Smash 4 because Smash is a celebration of gaming. It's no longer a fighting or a party game. It's a time capsule of everything that's been displayed on a screen and controlled by some buttons. This is why I'm no longer opposed to any characters being in Smash, whether that be Eggman, Freddy Fazbear, Pico, Henry Stickmin, Jonesy, or even the Crewmate from Among Us. If it was in a video game at one point or one form or another, it deserves a spot in Smash and that's why this game is really special

Smash 4 is not a bad game by any means, but even if it wasn't left in the sorry state it was with the last update patch, it seems unlikely to me that its competitive scene would have survived for much longer. For all intents and purposes, Ultimate "replaces" 4 in that it uses the same engine and follows the same core philosophy, but with tweaked fundamentals and streamlined pacing. Brawl is a "mixed bag" if there ever was one, but it's still distinct enough from the rest of the series that there is a reason to play it.

Smash Bros. is naturally iconic because it represents a celebration of icons in gaming culture and history, but it's also memorable because it's a unique and solid series of games. In fact it kind of holds a monopoly on its own genre, with other titles like Playstation All-Stars and Rivals of Aether trailing a long distance behind it.

IMO, 64 and Melee had the best single player modes; don't care that Brawl is a cinematic masterpiece or w/e, the levels are unmemorable, repetitive, and feel terrible to play. The games afterwards are also a swing and a miss in terms of SP content, though at the very least Ultimate had an interesting take on Classic mode.

Smash itself has a fascinating story as a whole, especially Melee, even if the community has its obvious downpoints and toxicity in some parts. I've never been a competitive player, but I grew up with Melee and Brawl, and I've enjoyed Ultimate a lot as well.

It's really fascinating how gigantic the series is now, and even if Ultimate disappointed me in some ways (mainly due to the lack of SP features), it's gonna be hard to surpass it in terms of sheer size and content.

With Smash I have the same criticism as with Generations I do not play any of the games represented in smash except for Sonic and Mario and the second is not that I like it very much so I never felt that impact that some have with the game

as for the fighting system, it's fun to play but it's not the best thing in the world either maybe the best part of the game and the only reason I like it is because of how much fun it is to play it in multiplayer.

The fact was sakurai was really pushing himself in melee, he worked 40 hours a day and barely got any sleep, but it paid of at the end(even if it nearly cost him his life since he collasped at one point and got rushed to the hospital).

The fact was sakurai was really pushing himself in melee, he worked 40 hours a day and barely got any sleep, but it paid of at the end(even if it nearly cost him his life since he collasped at one point and got rushed to the hospital).

>> 40 hours a day

still not as bad as modern videogame industry crunch culture

they could do this...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back