What changes do you want in 2.2.14?

The feature I'm personally most excited for that I hope gets in is Add-on Unloading, without a doubt. I think we can all attest that the most annoying thing about SRB2 is the need to restart the game any time we want to load different addons. This makes it far easier to hop between servers on a whim, and if we could additionally get an option to manually unload certain addons, this could greatly benefit modding as well. Need to make a tiny edit to the LUA of a character or fix some sectors in a map? Don't restart the game, just unload the mod and load it again to test your changes.

Another thing I hope gets in is Palette Rendering for OpenGL. As a longtime defender of OGL, even I admit the colors of Software are much more appealing, and if we had them in OGL it'd be the best of both worlds. The MR seems to already be pretty fleshed out with only some minor bugs left to squash, so I'm hoping it makes the cut for 2.2.14.

The feature I'm personally most excited for that I hope gets in is Add-on Unloading, without a doubt. I think we can all attest that the most annoying thing about SRB2 is the need to restart the game any time we want to load different addons. This makes it far easier to hop between servers on a whim, and if we could additionally get an option to manually unload certain addons, this could greatly benefit modding as well. Need to make a tiny edit to the LUA of a character or fix some sectors in a map? Don't restart the game, just unload the mod and load it again to test your changes.

Another thing I hope gets in is Palette Rendering for OpenGL. As a longtime defender of OGL, even I admit the colors of Software are much more appealing, and if we had them in OGL it'd be the best of both worlds. The MR seems to already be pretty fleshed out with only some minor bugs left to squash, so I'm hoping it makes the cut for 2.2.14.
I agree. I personally hope for pushing animations, braking animations, and an Amy control fix. I also hope that the vanilla cast will get super forms.

I agree. I personally hope for pushing animations, braking animations, and an Amy control fix. I also hope that the vanilla cast will get super forms.
while i don't ever see hope for pushing animations (iirc roach has said it's in the list of animations the team deems kinda pointless), the sprite overhauls arriving in 2.2.14 DO have skidding animations!

I'm not 100% confident addon unloading and OpenGL palette rendering will be ready in time for 2.2.14 but I'm glad developers and community members are contributing those features regardless. The new sprites that will (probably) be arriving in 2.2.14 are also a welcome change.

It's a relatively minor feature, but about a month ago I wrote a suggestion to show the saved ID of the character on saves that fail to load, to make it easier to figure out which character you need to load for that save. It would be nice if this was added in 2.2.14.

Looking at all the issues and merge requests milestoned for 2.2.14, something I'd like to see addressed is the in-game file downloader. Whenever I host a server with friends I always tell them to download the mods from the MB first because the in-game downloader sucks ass. It would be nice to not have to do that.

while i don't ever see hope for pushing animations (iirc roach has said it's in the list of animations the team deems kinda pointless), the sprite overhauls arriving in 2.2.14 DO have skidding animations!
bro are they changing the sprites again??? I thought that would happen in 2.3

Momentum doesn't belong in SRB2. Fight me.
The Genesis Sonic games (which SRB2 is supposed to be a 3D version of) do have 'some' momentum as evidenced when Sonic rolls down hills, around loops, and off ramps, but it is significantly pared down compared to the insane levels seen in games like Sonic Unleashed.

To not have momentum at all would mean the game resembling Mario and Crash more than what put Sega on the map.

bro are they changing the sprites again??? I thought that would happen in 2.3
It's more of a touch up on the vanilla cast as I'll be honest some of these make them look a lot nicer. Picture from the srb2.org
motorroach-new-sprites.png

The Genesis Sonic games (which SRB2 is supposed to be a 3D version of) do have 'some' momentum as evidenced when Sonic rolls down hills, around loops, and off ramps, but it is significantly pared down compared to the insane levels seen in games like Sonic Unleashed.

To not have momentum at all would mean the game resembling Mario and Crash more than what put Sega on the map.
Strictly speaking, momentum is the conservation of speed, not the gaining of it. To gain momentum is to gain resistance to stopping. That is to say, momentum is based on the mass of an object and how much velocity it has. It is what dictates how much force an object will have when it collides with another object. It is a misconception that gaining speed down a hill is momentum. While momentum is something that is generally gained from doing so, the specific thing that people are paying attention to is an increase in velocity which they are mistakenly referring to as momentum. This is why so many game devs don't know what Sonic fans are talking about when they demand newer games to have momentum.

However, yes, it is correct that momentum plays a vital role in defining Sonic's gameplay. It is the reason why Sonic needs to skid to a stop when going at high speeds before he can change direction. It is why when you launch off a ramp you can't simply press the opposite direction and suddenly zip in the other direction at the same speed. While most platformers including the likes of Mario do incorporate momentum into their gameplay, it is rarely more of a prominent factor in character movement and therefore game feel than it is with Sonic, as it is what gives Sonic a sense of weight while moving at high speed, which in turn is what gives the player a sense of control.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back