What are those...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf

Well, this may sound stupid but, What are those well known "E-mail harvesters" everyone talks about?
They're little programs that detect links?? Or people who are plain stupid and have no hobbies???
(NOT hobbies from Calvin and HOBBES, just something to do at free time)

This is the first time that I hear these words (well, is possible that I know they in Spanish and I can't associate it).

What words? E-mail harvesters? Calvin and Hobbes?
(this isn't here)->World domination?<-(This isn't here)

Forget about world domination!! Yeah right, World,haha, domination,how stupid.....This was never posted....Understood?

That is when somone takes your E-mail address and spams the hell out of it, I believe.

But I believe thay are automatized programs, because when an E- mail is:

Idontknow at whatevermail dot com that way it's not a link.
And to confirm they are programs why scramble it if it were people the E-mail harvesters? Idontknow@whatevermail.com .Try that spammers (That E-mail doesn't exist!)

Basically, e-mail harvesters are bots that roam the internet looking for e-mail addresses. Similar to how Google has bots that surf the internet to get data for their search engine, only these bots are rather malicious. Instead of getting information about web structure, they're out for one thing: e-mail addresses. When they've got a large quantity of e-mail addresses, they sell the information to spammers for a decent profit so they can spam you.

This is why you often see people type their e-mails in weird ways. The hope is at least that they'll dodge some of the spam by doing that.

I've also found that some people are too stupid to figure out what it means, and that gives an added bonus ^_~

Mystic said:
I've also found that some people are too stupid to figure out what it means, and that gives an added bonus ^_~

*chuckle* yeah, that's great.

I'm sure most e-mail harvesters can now even read the "myaddy at crazy dot com" typings...

thus the safest way is to put your email address in an image, but even then I'm sure the harvesters will begin to use OCR...

Mystic said:
Basically, e-mail harvesters are bots that roam the internet looking for e-mail addresses. Similar to how Google has bots that surf the internet to get data for their search engine, only these bots are rather malicious. Instead of getting information about web structure, they're out for one thing: e-mail addresses. When they've got a large quantity of e-mail addresses, they sell the information to spammers for a decent profit so they can spam you.
Then they are something similar to virus?

Sik said:
No, it's just a program that surfs the internet, and whenever it sees an e-mail address, it logs it. When it's done, it's got a gigantic list of e-mail addresses for spammers to send penis enlargment offers to.

One cuestion.
There are buttons here in SRB2 forums that will take you to your E-mail adress Right?
So... ARE WE PROTECTED HERE!!!!??? I'M SCARED!!!
*Unknown parameter Hide_under_a_blanket_from_SPAM*
Ooops. SRB2 console has no sense of humor.

Mystic said:
Sik said:
No, it's just a program that surfs the internet, and whenever it sees an e-mail address, it logs it. When it's done, it's got a gigantic list of e-mail addresses for spammers to send penis enlargment offers to.
Then they are hack virus... Final effect is similar... :S

If e-mail harvesters are a virus, then Google is a virus. They do the same thing, just collect different types of information.

hotdog003 said:
Oh, Google is a virus allright...
You're telling me... All I did was an image search on the word "Watermelon", and BAM! Yiff up the wazoo. Wait... Forget I said anything.

Mystic said:
This is why you often see people type their e-mails in weird ways. The hope is at least that they'll dodge some of the spam by doing that.
Oh, so that's what was up with A441's "Catatonic Porpoise" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back