Weird fof glitch

endlessonic

Just here kickin'
There's a strange fof glitch where you jump under a thick fof (16x16) and it's low almost to the ground then you can't jump even if your not under the fof but it fixes it self on the second jump

There's a strange fof glitch where you jump under a thick fof (16x16) and it's low almost to the ground then you can't jump even if your not under the fof but it fixes it self on the second jump
This is not a common issue, but im no stranger to it. Have you made sure to leave no untagged linedef actions?

This has happened me several times, because having selected the whole sector when moving or copy pasting a control sector, i forget to delete my selection, and when i go to edit the control sector, i accidentally give it an action to all sides, then de-select what i had selected, and give a tag only to one of the sidedef, the one i will use.

This will cause to have untagged linedefs, which might screw around with the whole map, because how Srb2 interprets the whole grid, the void and etc.

This is not a common issue, but im no stranger to it. Have you made sure to leave no untagged linedef actions?

This has happened me several times, because having selected the whole sector when moving or copy pasting a control sector, i forget to delete my selection, and when i go to edit the control sector, i accidentally give it an action to all sides, then de-select what i had selected, and give a tag only to one of the sidedef, the one i will use.

This will cause to have untagged linedefs, which might screw around with the whole map, because how Srb2 interprets the whole grid, the void and etc.
No I just copy and pasted a control sector then change the tags and move the floor and ceiling height but this happens

Attachments

• srb20252.gif
    srb20252.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 34
No I just copy and pasted a control sector then change the tags and move the floor and ceiling height but this happens
In case all linedef have all tags, be them unused or not, that sounds more of an engine's issue, or maybe a corrupt sector or sidedef, making some mess from somewhere else. Have you tried to run a check for ALL kind of issues? (Ignoring texture aligment, never use that option, that might even crash ZB).
Post automatically merged:

In case all linedef have all tags, be them unused or not, that sounds more of an engine's issue, or maybe a corrupt sector or sidedef, making some mess from somewhere else. Have you tried to run a check for ALL kind of issues? (Ignoring texture aligment, never use that option, that might even crash ZB).
Also a second note, what node builder you're using? Because if it happens to be Zennode (The default one, unfortunately) You might want to change it ASAP, and do a quick save on all maps you previously built using Zen Node, just to override the map data.

Zen Node is so broken, that you might end up finding visual bugs like clipping textures on places that are completely normal, be them that you JUST built them, or already existed before, and gave no issue previously.

Zennode (The default one, unfortunately) You might want to change it ASAP, and do a quick save on all maps you previously built using Zen Node, just to override the map data.

Zen Node is so broken, that you might end up finding visual bugs like clipping textures on places that are completely normal, be them that you JUST built them, or already existed before, and gave no issue previously
Well I don't know much about node builders so I'm not sure what your talking about

Node builder its like, the equal of an algorithm that makes things happen, but for the Zone Builder program, basically.

I changed the node builder and quick saved but it doesn't make a difference the same glitch is still happening and I checked for all issues in zb

Well I don't know much about node builders so I'm not sure what your talking about
A node builder is what takes the level data from Zone Builder and converts it into a format that SRB2 can use. It's like you're clicking "render" on your custom map. During that process, small errors can arise, such as this. Contrary to what Soniku said, Zennode is actually considered the best node builder for non-UDMF maps.

If you send me your level file in a private message (click on my profile then select "Start Conversation" or message DylanDude120 on Discord), I should be able to figure out what's going on.

Last edited:
Zennode is actually considered the best node builder for non-UDMF maps.
Allow me to stop you there, cowboy.

Have you REALLY tried in depth Zen Node? have you really created maps from zero, scanned them using map analisis, and then as last, moving around the whole map in both 3D and 2D just to make sure there is NO visual or gameplay bug on said map?

Because if you did NOT have used it in depth, despite it running fairly optimiced compared to other node builders, it has a shitload of issues, and i know this first hand myself.

I been struggling since way too long since i started map making, on issues that i didnt understood, which, even today make no sense, because they could not be replicated, due to the nature of said errors, like, clipping textures, or cracks that show the void, in sectors that show no issue. Even if you were to analyze the whole map, even if you had no overlapping sidedef, open sector or anything like that, you would still see issues like the ones ive said, on seemingly normal sectors.

Have you REALLY tried in depth Zen Node?
Yes.
have you really created maps from zero, scanned them using map analisis
Yes.
moving around the whole map in both 3D and 2D just to make sure there is NO visual or gameplay bug on said map?
Yes.

I have been making maps since 2018. I have had plenty of experience with Zennode since then. It is widely considered the gold standard for node builders. The issues you describe are quirks of the Software renderer and will happen in any node builder, but won't show up within Zone Builder as it uses an entirely separate renderer. Once again, just because you couldn't figure it out doesn't mean there aren't ways to fix those issues.

By the way, I fixed the problem with the map. It wasn't a nodebuilder issue. As such, this thread can now come to a close.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back