Voting and Thoughts - OLDC 2021 R2 (Singleplayer)

Voidy2246

✨ Collaborator ✨
Since this is my second OLDC in a row, I thought I might take a crack at this voting thing. All levels are ordered by most enjoyed to least enjoyed. And just like with what I do when playing level mods on my Youtube channel, I will be giving my thoughts on each of them in the form of text.

1. Grass Planet
This one is my level. Despite taking 5 months to make, I'm still damn proud of the results! The only downside is that it was meant to be played with flipcam forced onto the player, but that was canned due to the fact that I couldn't make it so that the player wouldn't have to set it back to their preferred option after completing the level.

2. Something
What do you get when you combine Axis 2D with a nice callback to the main campaign? An all-round excellent level that touches me in the feels! The emblems are also pretty easy to get, so there's that. I also love the "Fire Gator Thursday" thing. It definitely sounds like something that would be celebrated in Gainsville, Florida. Lol.

3. Twins' Palace
Zaxel definitely knocked it out of the park with this one! Not only that it's not too long and labyrinth-y, but it also has great music along with enough rings and easy Chaos Emeralds to bribe me into giving it some bonus points!

4. Rhyolite Ruin
Seeing that this is the first NIGHTS level in an OLDC, this one has definitely secured one of the top spots! But of course, the overall design and feel of it also helps it out in that endeavor. Dare I say that maybe this should be the new Magma Caverns since everyone's been saying that it should get a redesign.

5. Sunset Summit
This was a pretty calming level overall! The music, design, the credits island. Aside from that, this level also gets bonus points for Kanade being able to speedrun it. Lol.

6. Blue Glacier
A nice aesthetic with the music to boot. It may be a bit maze-like at times, but it gets a pass seeing that it's incredibly short.

7. Follow Your Rainbow
Roger probably hears this all the time, but I really like the unique art style of his levels! Aside from that, I also like the mach-speed section, the anime-like music used in the mall section, and the fact that Big the Cat is here.

8. Lofty Woods
First off, bonus points for using Final Haunt's music from Shadow! Overall, this level is a nice one to play. I like the sort of realistic theme it goes for with the textures. Although, I feel like the part with the spiraling tower is pretty much impossible without anyone that can use the Whirlwind Shield or has some other sort of verticality on hand.

9. Lucid Landscape
Othius sure does like 'em big and slope-y, huh? Regardless, I enjoyed running through this one. I mostly like the music and the Toad sector art near the end of the stage.

10. Powder Park
This level was pretty "cool", pun entirely intended. Jokes aside, it's fairly relaxed thanks to the simple design and the NIGHTS mode music.

11. Digital DeLuche
It was nice to see a RoyKirbs level again. Luckily, this one doesn't go the absolutely brutal route that Enby Echoes did. Instead, it's a nice cyberspace level with jammin' music and a totally epic boss fight at the end! I also never knew that "The Gay Zone" is in cyberspace. Lol.

12. Botanic Space 2
I liked the calm music and the unexpected transition into the deteriorated part, but this level uses a lot of the same sections in the indoor parts. That made me think I was going in circles when it turned out that I was going the right way. The fact that you also have to loop around to complete the level seems lazy... or something to that extent.

13. Caustic Crater
A cool, atmospheric techno level with dark techno music akin to Sonic CD (US). I fairly enjoy taking the different paths that this one has to offer.

14. Bricked Busted
While this level has an enjoyable aesthetic, I mainly don't like how much sloped terrain there is and there's a jerkish amount of Eggman monitors.

15. Nimbus Lake
An overall relaxing level with music in which sounds familiar, but can't place where I first heard it.

16. Pineapple Prairie
This one's alright! I like the bright colors, music, and the Animal Capsule at the end. It's also short, but the lag bomb 3 minutes into the stage still scares me a bit.

17. Command Facility
It may have a bit of empty space, but it's not too bad overall. I like the fact that you can hear Metallic Madness in the main song and the boss music slaps absolutely hard.

18. Iron Dominion
Despite being themed after Techno Hill, one of my favorite zones in the main campaign, this level doesn't really do anything too interesting, but nothing too braindead either.

19. Junkyard Jeopardy
While a junkyard level sounds nice, this one doesn't really feel like a junkyard. Aside from that, you also have the obscurely dark colormap (even in OpenGL with shaders off) and the unclear crusher/button puzzles at the end which brings this one down. Keep at it though, is all I can say!

20. Frozen Fissure
This level looked promising at first, but the amount of verticality it requires out of the player is not ideal for me. It's almost like it's begging for the player to switch to Tails and just fly over everything (although, I have been able to complete it as FL Chan and Kanade as well). Other than that, I like the Ice Cap remix used here.

21. Invasion
I had decent expectations at first, but the unfair enemies, empty spaces, and the bullet-hell boss all make for a unfortunately bad experience. Although, two things I do like about this level is that it uses Palmtree Panic's Bad Future music and it reminds me of Drifting Dynamo from Sonic Time Twisted due to the fact that you start on a natural-setting level, but then move on up to an airship level.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back