Votes - Dead (OLDC, Round 1)

Dead

Not Deadn't
It's me again, but this time I won't be posting a full feedback here since apparently people will probably not read this thread I've made, so I just decided to do a very small review for each level I played and also votes of my least to most favorite levels in OLDC .

I won't be voting anything for MP Stages, I'm only voting for SP Stages, keep in mind, I'm a sucker for Singleplayer Level Design.

1. Hollow Hill Zone - Othius, Inazuma,and Spectorious
  2. Ante-Station Zone - Twins'R'Okay
  3. Lava Temple - Vixuzen
  4. Falcon Emissary Zone - InferNOr
  5. Mercury Mine Zone - Rexeljet
  6. Ridge Rapids Zone - particle
  7. Zaxel's Thunder Yard - Zaxel
  8. Abyss Caverns Zone - yyeellooww7
  9. Koopa Kastle Zone - Glaber
  10. Teal Tundra Zone - SunCyclone
  11. Bombastic Beach Zone - Shapeshifter boi
  12. Fort Sunset Zone - DylanDude
  13. Music Mash Zone - WasifBoomz
  14. Blizzard Bastion Zone - PhilJFou
  15. Drenched Dam Zone - Voudy2246
  16. Emerald Glade Zone - DoodlesYT

1. Hollow Hill Zone - Othius, Inazuma,and Spectorious
    First impression, gorgeous, almost everything used here are custom, those are textures, flats, decors, anything that brought up a difference outside of SRB2, the level is also huge and exploration is encouraged since you may find goodies if you are very keen for secrets, speaking of secrets, having emblems also encourages multiple playthroughs, this is one of those instances that I played as all characters just to test stuff in your magnificent level, also the level is dark, often times I can't see rings ahead which led me to getting lost often times as a new player in your level or some springs that would needed for a path continuation, also something about a path for flyer, it wasn't directly shown to you but bluntly placed where you don't have a chance for players to be taught but instead placed within danger.

2. Ante-Station Zone - Twins'R'Okay
    There's something unique about this level, and It's the Axis2D that's used, for me it's basically fresh within SRB2, though It's just 2D Mode but better, by the design of the level you did really well with texturing also the portals basically astounding with the existent of it, making the level itself feel like I'm in some sort of bizarre dimension, having secrets is also a plus which basically adding replayability, some of my gripes are character specific paths, new the beginning there would be Amy and Fang path, but It's less noticeable due to how the breakable floor basically looks like It's normal looking, some weird Knuckles Path near the end, like I don't get it, it just rewards you with stuff and you go back to the same spot where you enter, also rooms can be expanded more to prevent camera going through walls, it feels jank in some areas honestly, then you have Polyobjects, some of these are just a bane of my platforming experience, they provide constant anxiety when you're trying to land one, even with the drop-shadows doesn't help much.

3. Lava Temple - Vixuzen
    I played Rayman 2 in my childhood, and this is what the level is, though much brighter than the gloomy one in Rayman 2, almost everythinghere are custom, from textures, flats, and decors, the pacing is just right like most level I played but some rooms needed a but polish with more variety of textures, the use of bones is very nice, though I'm kinda disappointed with the wall textures that are used for climbing, they aren't really that well presented when you first encounter them, I managed to get stuck for like more than 1 minute until I try to hug that wall, I thought that's a Knuckles Path honestly, you map has emblems and character specific challenge paths in the end, more replayability, this is one of those instances where I had to do all characters, let me tell you of those challenge paths, only Sonic and Fang where I deemed to be fine with it, though lighting could be improved for more clarity, but other characters have design flaws that needs to be addressed, for example, Amy Sections needs to be more clear that I need to finish her Puzzle first, Knuckles needs to have a better texture variation or all I seeing is green whenever I glide, I bumped most of the walls, Tails needs to have a better persistent on indicator when I went into the block loop, Metal section needs to have a better forgiving punishment, I don't like it when I have to run all the way back to do the section all over again if I fail.

4. Falcon Emissary Zone - InferNOr
    Flying Battery vibes, that's what I felt, or maybe because It's the adventure as a whole during it, anyway, the way you used those textures is a amazing and great, playing as Knuckles and Tails is also fun when you're in a very large section of your level, you also have emblems where I vigorously try to search all of 'em with your cryptic yet broken hints, I heard you also have custom character paths, didn't try it and maybe never will, I'll stick to vanilla however, though what I dislike about this level is the StarPost placement, each path weighs differently in terms of length, getting into these StarPost are inconsistent, I had to run around 1 minute to reach a star post in one path, but the other path had to be in just 20 seconds, you may need to playtest more when it comes to the length between checkpoints, also you have some softlocks in your level, mainly the glass tubes in the halfway of your level, I know It's impossible for someone to dumb enough to get inside, but I did, I got stuck as Sonic and Amy, please prevent those from ever happening, also please took the attention to look at Knuckles Path, they are way longer than the main path does, it makes me not wanting to play as Knuckles since other character can just ignore that and do a 10 seconds walk to the next section, also mentioning StarPosts again, please oh please give players a breather, you don't want enemies to be just at ready to pummel you after respawned, this is bad design, please block those enemies or remove them, also, you have spammed many types of enemies even during the last section, I suggest you tone down the usage of them in most sections.

5. Mercury Mine Zone - Rexeljet
    At first, I didn't know that the water is literally Mercury (It's kinda weird calling it water at this point), hence your level name, Mercury, thought it was supposed to be a Blue Themed Mines or something, anyway, you really did well on the flow of the level, though the large sections across levels you've made are mostly barren, but I don't mind, most sections I went through, I had fun running around, you have emblems, that's great, though the fact that are Character Locked Emblems disappointed me, for example, I could get to one of the Emblems as Knuckles but It's specified for Tails, an all character emblems are pretty much fine, also character specific paths, especially Knuckles and Amy, it baffles me how Knuckles Path would take 30+ seconds but normal path only take like 5 seconds, see Knuckles path in THZ2, don't do this, especially Amy path, accessible in Knuckles Path but the purpose is to get her Emblem, however, I could just ignore the Knuckles Path entirely at the beginning and just went straight to the end of Knuckles Path by taking the normal path instead, makes the whole Amy Path obsolete.

6. Ridge Rapids Zone - particle
    It's a sweet level, for using those Vanilla Textures, it's done right atleast, though the first issue I came upon are those HOMs (Hall of Mirrors), you're mapping with OpenGL yeah, ya might want to playtest on both renderers instead of just one focused renderer, since you may get some insight in which section that are overbearing with issues, also you have 2D Mode, but It's very awkward and only played in a very short amount of time I may request that to be removed as it is causing issues with how you can flew away from 2D and such,also, be consistent with your climbable walls, there are particularly some walls with the same textures are climbable or not, might want to look at those,

7. Zaxel's Thunder Yard - Zaxel
    Here's the level itself, though first impression is your bush at the start just blocked my view, may want to move those, anyway, first, yes of course I did went to both of your secrets, still the same as last time just, much more major I guess, your level's layout are almost the same as last time just under a different theme, but I see something interesting here and there as I've seen improvements from you, but the one thing I considered an issue is that your level is too long just like last time, even during halfway, it just came to the point I've been in the level for more than 5 minutes, oh I should have not forget the troll exit you've put it in, of course I knew It's not an actual exit, but you should know that..... I CAN'T RESISTS OF KNOWING WHAT I'LL GET, the first troll exit is harmless, I chuckled for the first few times, but the second troll exit, you've gone too far, It's not even funny, all your progress in the level is lost, you can't find a way out, the only way out is to go back to the Main Menu and start over, DON'T DO THIS EVER, this is a red flag in my eyes. Also like last time, some of your enemies being very small and blend with the environment as usual, please oh please I already addressed this issue last OLDC and you still kept it, I hope in the future, you change this.

8. Abyss Caverns Zone - yyeellooww7
    Hey, It's dark, but It's okay, you also did good with sector decoration if one actually pay attention to their surroundings, in which I like, though what I like more is the use of Fire and Ice Theme in one level, really depends on what path you take anyway, though the most disappointment I have so far is in the Ice Section, where the Normal Looking Bright Water itself, can actually hurt you unless you have a Elemental Shield, please don't do this, because you went through a Water section first until you find another water again that this one in the Ice actually hurts you, subverted expectations, also, Knuckles or Amy path within the Ice Section took longer than the main path, you shouldn't have done this, make it so that it has the same length, the Fire Section however have no issues. You might also want to take a look with rings, they are all almost planted to the ground, though you may have modified only their height but not tick one of its flag to be floated, also, when you enter the level for the first time, you fell from a hole, but there are certain impulses that want player to go forward, and in front of it is a pit, please be considerate that every level in beginning should be safe and hazardless, it's pretty blind to spot a pit in the beginning.

9. Koopa Kastle Zone - Glaber
    Mario Themed level, but with some Sonic Themed badniks, It's okay I guess, though most brown brick sections needs more work with its texture variety, It's pretty bland or maybe that's what you're going for a Mario-Esque Style... Or maybe that Mario maker Level of yours, I haven't looked myself then again I don't have Switch to look for it, your 2D Sections however have a better texturing than those of Brown Bricks.My biggest gripe with your level is the Brak Boss Fight, if it were to be a custom boss, I guess that's alright, maybe you just don't want the end to be anti-climatic end after the death of Bowser, but overall, It's pretty okay.

10. Teal Tundra Zone - SunCyclone
    Solid level design, though not as impressive, I'm diggin it, the flow of the level is just right, I play as different characters since you have emblems that are needed for said specific characters, let's talk about the environment, not as gorgeous but It's alright, for a level that's huge, It's mostly empty it seems, but I'm very appreciative of your use of badniks, It's 100% top-notch, thank you for this, someday you'll do better when it comes to designing sections.

11. Bombastic Beach Zone - Shapeshifter boi
    Short but okay I guess, if you haven't noticed, each Beach levels in each OLDC since the Summer OLDC are all short, guess you won that title for this OLDC xd, anyway, you did a great idea with the Air Bubble, I could call this revolutionary but that'sd for another time I guess, also you may need to fix StarPost, some of it are activated far ahead if you activated the recent one, also, what's supposed to be a Knuckles Climbing Section? But It's unclimbable, yet there's a climbable wall next to it, so I do not understand really, then again, the End Sign is just below the Knuckles Section, atleast your level has subtance with the custom textures you used and those decoration you did

12. Fort Sunset Zone - DylanDude
    First impression, good texture work, and also custom Bakis, even few of them are Pride Bakis, though overall I say It's cute, also I ran around your level, they are just the same within one section, I guess the very intention itself is making it as a Special Stage as you said, but the requirement for 500 Coins is something that I do not like however, you may want to tone it down as within two minutes, I'm just running around collecting coins, nothing else to do, though I'm pretty glad those coins respawned, also you can go Super so that's something for a weird challenge lol

13. Music Mash Zone - WasifBoomz
    Whoa, first level impression gave me an eye sore moment, though really, please consult yourself with the Wiki regarding how to do Level Design correctly, It's really atrocious the way you used those sporadically changing textures, but for the gameplay itself, I'd say it's not bad, well with some design flaws anyway, for example, your idea of making puzzle is interesting, but it lacks any visual cue of what will happen to the main path, second the way you use Polyobjects is sometimes unnecessary, if it were to be for decorative purposes, I wouldn't mind, Third, some FOFs are pretty awkward and you somehow just went through and die, particularly the Flip Gravity Sections, Fourth, Polyobjects moves within the players placed themselves into a Sector Trigger, if one just stands there without noticing that thePolyobject moves, you're forced to wait, but that's not all, the Polyobject itself doesn't even come back, so you're softlocked if you're neither a Flier or a Climber, please playtest your maps frequently, also your music is very VERY quiet, for a Music Mash Zone, this is awkward so to say, atleast you've visibly improved than two of your submitted levels, which is to say I'm proud of you, keep it up.

14. Blizzard Bastion Zone - PhilJFou
    Let me say this once, Grey, the colormap you used makes everything looks almost the same (Well, expect the exterior of your Bastion, but still), though let me just say it brief overall, the Exterior Design of your level is better than the Interior Design you've made, in a more less brief, I dislike the idea of your Glass Maze, it's often confusing to navigate plus the excessive of Grey for the colormap, some character specific paths are very hard to be notified from afar because of how grey you did with everything in the level, color coded paths for characters have this issue aswell, most of the character paths you did, rarely for one character to utilize their abilities, Knuckles hardly ever used his Climbing Ability, Fang for its Tail Bounce only used to get to higher place, also, that one thing I dislike is the way you spammed enemies in certain sections please don't overdo this, though I like how you did Emblems so far, that's one of my favorites in your level, hope you do more and better next time.

15. Drenched Dam Zone - Voudy2246
    Confusing, that's my first impression with it, it started suddenly so fast, you'd have to race metal let's go, then suddenly invisible walls, because I have view for most of the level, I dunno where I would be going because of the invisible walls most of the time, I had to follow Metal Sonic instead of going ahead for the first time, after learning the level, It has come into my attention that your level also very tight or cramped,, you might want to keep looking into those, block your levels with actual geometry and not invisible walls, playing as Tails can be this hard for the first time.

16. Emerald Glade Zone - DoodlesYT
    Empty and barren, I could call it a zoo with those badniks being placed under... a pen?, I like your weird sector art, but that's about it, my suggestion is that you really need to put more thought on level designing, adding more geometry is the first, don't make it too open and nothing, it'll be just "running around the gameplay", but I see you're still learning, keep it up.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back