Votes and Thoughts (2022 R1)

Voidy2246

✨ Collaborator ✨
Another OLDC, once again. Albeit coming out later than I expected, at least we won't have people complaining about pride flags (in the hub) this year. :knuxsmug:

1. Hell Coaster
This one is my level, obviously inspired by Asteroid Coaster (my favorite zone in Colors) and White Park Act 2 (from Sonic 4 Ep II) for the 2D section. It was originally meant to be a completely different level, essentially being one giant minecart section; but I forgot that I still had the majority of the progress saved under 2.2.9 when I deleted said outdated version. And so I decided to make it more platforming-oriented, hopefully making the level more exciting and aesthetically pleasing than it would've originally been. With the new version, I was also deciding on a giant minecart section for the last stretch of the level after the 2D section, but I decided that ending on the 2D section was enough. I'll probably save a giant minecart section for an Act 2 in the very far future.

2. Chaos Cove
At first, this level was nothing too special. I mean, it was nice to see Glaber improved from his 2.0/2.1 style of level design, but nothing stuck out in particular. That is until I noticed that I started collecting Chaos Emeralds from the whole Tokens to Emeralds thing. Then, I found out that you can finish the level with all Emeralds if you're willing to spend a long enough time in the stage. As you probably know by now, any level that bribes me with easy access to all of the Emerdudes instantly gets the top spot.

3. Thunder Yard 2
On first impression, this level was gonna score low because of how laggy it can get with everything going on in the level. Although that is until Zaxel mentioned a "Hatsune Miku secret". So having nothing better to do, I decided play the level in search for the secret. That is when I discovered that not only the lag is more tolerable in OGL, but there's also many other collectables to find including most of the Emeralds, shields, 1-Ups, and plenty of rings. I'd only ask that next time, tone it down on the big spaces and the objects spawning many extra sprites.

4. Magma Laboratory
Bonus points for using U.S. Stardust Speedway Good Future for the music. The level itself quite chaotic (especially with a multitude of fireballs spawning in certain spots), but it's not that bad once you know your way around.

5. Freezer Folley
I love me some Sweet Mountain Act 2 music! Nonetheless, I also enjoy this level's aesthetic, simple design, and gelatin gimmick. The giant fridge at the end is also pretty cute.

6. Spiral Hill Pizza
A fun minigame-type level. At first, it was unclear where to go since the first one isn't exactly "straight ahead" and you wouldn't really know where the "town entrances" are, but I kept trying and eventually delivered all 6 pizzas. I like that it gives you an emblem for each pizza you deliver, but I would rather have it so that the player could explore the level first before attempting to do the challenge. Maybe when they're ready, they can press a button or something.

7. Foliage Furnace 2
This was originally gonna be higher, but ever since Othius added stuff to the right path that wasn't in the second Release Canidate, the level just doesn't feel the same. Don't get me wrong, the main reason I like this level is because of the nostalgia boner it gave me for back to when I'd play After the Sequel a lot. But now, the level loses its luster due to an awful amount of lag from the splat cannons and such. It just generally feels too showoff-y with things like the spinning polyobjects and the egregious amount of slopes. I do enjoy the funni bee woman secret, but in this case, thick thighs doesn't save the life of this level.

8. Festung Oder So
While this level shares the same gimmick as Spiral Hill, it doesn't feel as dynamic and the level even kills you if you fail the objective. I also don't understand the reason the fortress collapses at the press of a button. At least with Castle Eggman's bridge section, it's somewhat believable since it's Eggman's castle, so he'll do whatever it takes to screw over the player by any means necessary. Other than that though, there's not really much to the level once you unlock the door to the Goalpost.

9. Yearning Yatchyard
A generally relaxing level with an enjoyable aesthetic. Not much to say beyond that. Nice work!

10. Enchanted Enclave
Another Rayman 2 level I probably don't understand, but luckily, it's short. I also like the alternative paths and that you can get 2 emblems for each exit.

11. Sunksea X
I never played the original level, but this one looks good, but it can get a little maze-like at times. At least you can nab a Chaos Emerald out of the deal, so there's something. (Also, in my personal opinion, Sea Bottom Segue is overrated. I've heard this song, like... everywhere at this point.)

12. Bitter Brink
First of all, I like the level select picture. Looks cool! On to the nitty-gritty though, this level feels kinda emtpy due to lack of decor in most sections. There's also the fact that the 2D section and the sled gimmick can be kinda finnicky. For the 2D section, it's because there are things like the spiraling wood structure that forces you to jump at the correct time unless you want to be stuck there forever, and the plethora of spikeballs on one of the paths. For the sled gimmick, it's just doesn't react well enough to controls, generally taking an extra jump just to have it steer in the correct direction quick enough.

13. Egg Machine
Even on multiple playthroughs, this level is a bit of a drag to play. Whether that be from backtracking to the teleporters, or obstacles in the 2D section moving too fast, it's just not that enjoyable.

14. Tarnish Ward
I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the dull color scheme (or I guess texture work?) that this level has. It can be quite depressing especially when you have to sift through the big maze trying find the Emerald Shards based on the often vague hints. Not to mention that even the plethora of random NPCs look depressed. Hell, I couldn't even find the one that's in the "Guts of the big crusher".

All-in-all, good work to everyone this round! I'll admit, it was also a bit hard to rate the levels at first. All levels felt like they had something to offer, and I hope we can continue that kind of thing for future OLDCs!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back