Using DOOM Assets as a Resource in Zone Builder

Baba_theBooey

patently stupid™
Is it possible to use Doom's assets in Zone Builder? As in, textures, flats, things, etc. Or is it gonna require making SRB2 compatible versions, especially for the demons?

Asking because of an idea I'm not gonna start yet, but wanna keep in mind for when I can start it guilt-free. It's gonna basically be a set of four (maybe 5) levels based off of each episode of Doom 1 (with the possible 5th being SIGIL), each using Doom's textures and demons, even featuring that episode's boss at the end (Twin Barons in Knee Deep in The Dead, Cyberdemon in The Shores of Hell, Spider Mastermind in both Inferno and Thy Flesh Consumed, and both a Cyberdemon and Mastermind in SIGIL.)

The main issue you'll run into is that Doom uses a different palette from SRB2, meaning all the colors will look wrong. They can be converted to the SRB2 palette using SLADE, but this will require inserting them into their own asset file, and then organizing them according to SRB2's file structure needs.

So no, you can't just load the Doom IWADs as asset files in ZB, sorry.

The Doom engine is open source, but last I checked the actual art and assets of Doom itself (the game) are still under copyright (so while you can make use of them for a mod for Doom, you can't safely use them for SRB2).

It is possible that Cacodemon is usable (based on what I have seen on Youtube and other art sites), but that is it.

The Doom engine is open source, but last I checked the actual art and assets of Doom itself (the game) are still under copyright (so while you can make use of them for a mod for Doom, you can't safely use them for SRB2).

It is possible that Cacodemon is usable (based on what I have seen on Youtube and other art sites), but that is it.
SRB2 itself uses copyrighted assets from various franchises, including Doom, so I don't see how that's a problem.

SRB2 itself uses copyrighted assets from various franchises, including Doom, so I don't see how that's a problem.
If anything, we're also talking about a game from all the way back in 1993. If ID didn't care then, they certainly won't now, and Bethesda only seems to protect anything to do with modern Doom.

Besides, if they did care, among many other cases, Jon Romero wouldn't have been allowed to make SIGIL, since he wasn't part of ID Software anymore past Quake.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back