Tutorial Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first played SRB2 it was interesting but mainly lacking a good tutorial
level in which you can learn the basics of playing, I mean they don't have to be long they just have to give you an idea of what to do. I do have some proof but that can wait a little while...

SRB2 operates on an old idea of thinking where we give the player the controls and information in the manual, and then just let them play through an unmarked "tutorial" stage to get the hang of the controls. The reason Greenflower 1 is small and simple is because it's essentially the tutorial stage. Yeah, it's not sitting there explaining how to play, but we expect you to figure that on your own. Instead, it provides a basic area without any real danger to get used to the controls and physics, and learn how the game works.

Well thats always a good Idea. I was thinking a set of levels for people who are too lazy to read, or need to touch up on the basics, like in Portal where they get you used to using portals before you get the gun.

If you're too lazy to read or wade through the menus to figure out how to play on your own, we don't really care about you. I don't really feel the need to pander to people unable to read the manual or simply figure out where the control settings are in the options.

Greenflower Zone Act 1 is a great tutorial stage which has just enough content for the player to look around at and figure out how to control. Many players take a bit to try and get the Attraction Shield, as well as look around in the opening area. It's a well-done introduction to our game, and then we throw them into Greenflower Zone Act 2, where the meat of the game begins.

Yeah, Greenflower 1 is good.

It's simple, it's easy (those are NOT the same thing, RVZ1b is simple but hard), and it has enough expansive space and stuff to give people who want to explore a way to do that.

I always thought that GFZ1 was a totorial level because it could be cleared in 30 seconds or less. the wide open area and the nice enviroment make it a great stage

You're tempting me to make an actual tutorial stage...

"HEY GUYS THIS IS A VIDYA GAEM ISN'T IT GRATE"
"THIS IS SONICK U CNTRL HIM"
"THIS IS CALLED THE FLOOR, YOU WALK ON IT"
"THIS IS CALLED A WALL, YOU WALK INTO IT"
"THESE ARE CALLED STAIRS, YOU WALK UP THEM"
"THIS IS A SHORT WALL, YOU CAN JUMP OVER IT"
"THIS IS CALLED JUMPING"
"THESE ARE RINGS - THEY'RE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH SO AVOID AT ALL COSTS"
"THESE ARE ROBOTS - IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO RUB YOUR FACE ALL OVER THEM"
"THIS IS A CHECKPOINT - IF YOU DIE AFTER HAVING TOUCHED THIS, YOU'LL STILL RESPAWN AT START, JUST WITH THE SMUG SATISFACTION THAT YOU MADE IT SOMEWHAT FARTHER"
"THIS IS WATER - TRUE TO THE SONIC ADVENTURE SERIES IT IS EXTREMELY POISONOUS TO HEDGEHOGS AND MUST BE AVOIDED"
"CONGRATS ON BEETING LVL, ONE LAST NOTE: PRESS F10 THEN Y TO ACTIVATE THE ULTIMATE CHEAT WHICH WILL MAKE YOU ATTRACTIVE AND GAIN LOTS OF FRIENDS AND GIRLS"
"KTHXBYE"

...I'm probably overdoing it.

Well Form my first time playing SRB2 the manual wasn't something in plain sight and on the second time downloading it realized it was even there.. :( though you do make a good point. Anyway it might be helpful if you included a optional tutorial level, but anyway it won't do much if anything... well back to DOOM Builder to work on my map pack. Wait Crap! I just gave a leak.. :(

Mike_The_Hedgehog said:
Well Form my first time playing SRB2 the manual wasn't something in plain sight and on the second time downloading it realized it was even there.. :( though you do make a good point. Anyway it might be helpful if you included a optional tutorial level, but anyway it won't do much if anything... well back to DOOM Builder to work on my map pack. Wait Crap! I just gave a leak.. :(

Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, etc... have a tutorial level. It is called the first zone of the game. I don't see how it is that hard to play a really simple game. Mario doesn't have tutorial's level so why should SRB2? The only controls you need to know is movement, and jump. That is it for single player.

Shadow Hog said:
"CONGRATS ON BEETING LVL, ONE LAST NOTE: PRESS F10 THEN Y TO ACTIVATE THE ULTIMATE CHEAT WHICH WILL MAKE YOU ATTRACTIVE AND GAIN LOTS OF FRIENDS AND GIRLS"

I thought that was how to get the new Medic achievements?

Either way, I'm glad this cheat doesn't bring in boys. Boys are disgusting, am I right?

Well, all the Mario games barring, like, Sunshine and Galaxy. And even then, the latter one is arguable. (Sunshine isn't, though. Unskippable tutorial video.)

Penopat said:
I thought that was how to get the new Medic achievements?
No, that's just F10. The extra Y is very important.

SM64 (both the N64 and the DS versions) have some kind of pseudo-tutorial, if you read the signs in the castles, several of them will teach you how to perform certain moves.

Such as Whale Island in SRA where it gives a tutorial level for you to use with instructions.

In srb2 (if possible, (no talking Omochao plz) )

I suggest using:
(script in wad)
cecho Welcome to <zone>!; wait <tics>; cecho press (key) to jump!; wait <tics>; [repeat]

and so on from there...

A Sonic game should be simple enough that you shouldn't even need to read the readme and be able to play it completely >_>

Oh come on.

Step 1: Run
Step 2: Jump

That's Sonic. Just like any other platformer, except his always involve speed and bopping of enemies of some weird, fat smart guy that has too much time on his hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back