Turkey Genocide '11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
So, another year has passed and we in the US once again feel obligated to take a day or more off of work and school and stuff our maws and collapse in front of our television sets. How is your Thanksgiving holiday shaping up to be?

Mine was fairly typical. My grandmother takes a lot of pride in fixing a good traditional Thanksgiving meal, and she didn't disappoint this year: We had turkey and ham and stuffing and yams and god knows how much else food. It was all good, and we will have leftovers for several days now. The rest of my family was in the living room, watching American football and griping about how small our 40" television set is and how we should totally get a bigger television set come Black Friday. Which annoyed me. But at least they might pump their spending power into s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶e̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶f̶a̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶-̶s̶i̶z̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶e̶v̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶s the American economy. So yeah.

Ignorant European that I am, I wasn't even aware that today was Thanksgiving. I still don't feel like I'm missing anything out.

I opened this thread expecting to learn about gruesome massacres in Ankara or Istanbul or something. Silly me.

And unlike you, SpiritCrusher, I have no excuse, because I live in America.

I went to the top of a mountain, strapped some angular planks of wood to my feet, and repeatedly slid down the face of a steep mountain. Fun stuff! Have yet to eat the usual turkey, although I have to say that I've matured enough to start questioning its position as prime Thanksgiving food. Seriously, ham/pork products are soo much more juicy and flavorful.

Not to mention the fact that venison, not turkey, was served at the actual first thanksgiving. And venison is mouthwateringly delicious whereas turkey is meh.

I'm visiting my Dad's for Thanksgiving, actually. A bunch of relatives from his side of the family are in town, and we had dinner at my great-aunt's retirement community. (There was the usual; cranberry sauce, cranberry sauce, more cranberry sauce, eggnog, pumpkin pie, and maybe some turkey too I guess.) We brought some videogames to the room and played a few of those with relatives (my little cousin is so cute when he plays DK64 with us you guys have no idea), and generally had a good time!

Then I came home and browsed the internet for the rest of the night. Always a nice ending to the day, wouldn't you say?

Why do I sense so much negativity in this thread? It bugs me when people act all doomsday about holidays. Sure, much of them may be commercialized and formulated, but that doesn't mean we have to buy into it or be grumpy about it. A holiday is only what you make it. I'm not a fan of the way many holidays here are celebrated, but that doesn't stop me from using the opportunity to make something good out of it.

And if there is really something so bad about a particular holiday? Learn from it, figure out what makes it bad, and store up that information for when you can use it to make a difference. You probably won't be able to do anything in the way your parents and family celebrates it, but what about when you have a family of your own?

Have yet to eat the usual turkey, although I have to say that I've matured enough to start questioning its position as prime Thanksgiving food. Seriously, ham/pork products are soo much more juicy and flavorful.

I don't know. My mother made one of the most amazing turkeys I have ever tasted this year. But then again, all the qualities that made it good were entirely unturkey-ish in nature.

But pork is almost always good~

As for how the actual holiday went, it was nothing extravagant or amazing, but it was peaceful. Most of my favorite relatives now live down in Virginia, so I missed them, but we had others there. And this time, everyone was in friendly moods, so there was no disagreements or hurt feelings. We played a vicious (but not malicious) game of Dutch Blitz, and just ate and talked for the rest of the time. It was also nice to have a day off work to spend entirely at home. I should really get to bed while I still can though, because the holiday ends tonight, and I have to wake up at 4:00 in the morning tonight to get ready for work. *sigh*

Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that venison, not turkey, was served at the actual first thanksgiving. And venison is mouthwateringly delicious whereas turkey is meh.

I never tried venison, but I have heard how good it is. My family on the other hand, besides having turkey, had Pernil (Pig shoulder) which is normally a traditional holiday dish in my culture. Course you need to cook it a specific way so the meat and fat are edible and juicy, otherwise you'll just have more burnt skin and hard meat XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back