• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Trouble choosing a mode in large netgames? (Name Pending...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something relatively simple, but it's a huge improvement from mindless arguing:

<player4> match plz
<player2> no i want to play ctf omg
<tails> tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<player2> no tails u noob ctf is the best
<player2> besides tag sucks
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<player6> holy crap stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<76qq309> omg this is getting us nowhere and thers like 8 ppl how r we gon decide
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
<tails> tag
tails has been kicked (Banned)
<player8> lol

Has that ever happened to you? Has anything even RELATED to that happen to you? Well, one day I had gotten bored... had nothing to do, and I started making this, hoping that I could use it for netgames, if I ever got my hosting working (and I did; I can hold about 10 people without lag). Now, there's no issue at all! Introducing, name pending!

srb20156.png

Apparently, some people feel this is related to skulltag. I guess there's something like this in that game too...? Anyway, here's how it works:

srb20159.png

If you have a large netgame, and are having a hard time getting everyone to agree on one game mode, or just want to make it easier on the players, you can use this. Each 'base' represents a gametype. The glowing 'portal' in the middle is the transport to the waiting room for the gametype you want to play. Simple; majority vote rules. The base with the most players will get the gametype. That's it.

srb20160.png

Features & Stuff:
*2 - 5 time limit for all voting. If you are not in a waiting room after 5 minutes, you do not count as a vote, and are teleported to a pitch black room.
*On the bottom left corner of the screen, you will be able to see the amount of seconds you have left via timed CECHO commands.
*You must stand on a base for 3 seconds in order to go to the waiting room.
*There is a help hub for people that don't really know how to play. The time limit still applies there, though.
*Custom textures
*Nice visuals
*In the event of a tie, the gametype chosen is random between the two tied gametypes.
*After standing on a portal, you get pulled up into... nowhere, and end up in the room.
srb20161.png

*The lobby is 'endless'. There are virtually no visible seems in the lobby, creating a cool endless matrix effect, although you cannot go out of the map.

Progress:
3/8 Bases complete
-Match
-Race
-Circuit
Number of waiting rooms being determined; basic waiting room complete.
Voting process implemented (timing, per-player voting, etc.)
Result screen 10% (I'm trying to make it original...)

To-do list:
-Figure out a way to properly allow fan-made or custom gamemodes to be played; since there isn't even one diver, KotH, Hide 'n' Seek, etc. map that comes with SRB2. Because of that, I cannot have a set map to transport to, although if I end up making maps for them in the future (which I probably might), I'll just package them in with this, making it a level pack, and thus solving the problem. The alpha version will not enable you to vote for fan-made modes, though.

No release yet, I'm trying to get the bases done. Tell me your thoughts, complaints, and most important, SUGGESTIONS! Thanks for your time; looking forward to the results of this.

Holy _shit_ that's awesome. Though I do wonder how this will play with all the FOFs involved. Not all of us have high-end computers, so you think you could, ah, try to make it not lag in some form or fashion?

...Damn it, now I'm tempted to do something similar and steal your idea.

/me has had level designer's block all week.

Well actually, it doesn't lag that much, or even at all! What would help is if I turned all of the portal special fx to not render the flat, but that would require MANY, MANY (350+) custom FOFs, because there's no such thing as translucent, sides only apparently. It may lag a bit if you try to look at the entire level at once. Oh by the way, the banners scroll (IE, the things that say the gametype) like a marquee for added niceness.

x_x

It's nice? What do you want me to say? It doesn't have a nice sense of architecture, the theme isn't original, and you're putting too much time into the small details.

I'm not interested.

Um, it's not supposed to have ANY true architecture. Look at what it is; it's a gametype hub. It's not really supposed to BE anything, so why not nitpick the minor details? It'd help if you guys could tell me if this is PRACTICAL and if I SHOULD CONTINUE, instead of saying "zomg lyk it iznt a matc lvl.. or any othr lvl wtf"...

I think it's a good concept. I've had the same problem a lot, but not as bad as what you have thar.

Here's an idea for the name: Gametype Hub.

I think this is a good concept aswell. We have all come to this problem in netgames and I think it's about time we end it.

Hopefully I can just add maps to this afterward... any ideas or suggestions? I can get everything done, sure, but without the opinion of the people using it, what good is it?

You should add lil pictures in the billboard text text to resemble the gametype. Like for match have a picture of sonic throwing a ring, for circuit have sonic running, etc.

Also, for the endless looking lobby to feel endless, you could set up teleports at the ends of the lobby that send you to the opposite side.

Hehe, I remember ST218 making something like this two years ago or so, back when himself and FF were the only two superior hosts in all the community. It never really ended up being used, we just quarreled over messages, and that was that. There really wasn't a need to formalize gametype selection (given that this was 2 years ago, where you could count the netgaming community on two hands). This may have changed now, but I'm still not convinced that this serves any practical purpose, when you can substitute it for plain ol' text that takes half the time.

It looks really gorgeous, on the plus side. I'd love to see you put this artistic style into a match or SP map.

Eh, as far as being useful, here's a few something: How 'bout co-op? And it would also be awesome if you could use scripts to load up wads and have a hub for, say, Mystic Realm, as well as a few other SP mods. Heck, it would even be cool if you could do the same thing for match-ish stuff, such as Jazz Attack, and even Multiplayer Fusion.

The only problem with that, is that there's no way to check whether or not any of those level packs are added. That's why there's a hub for every gametype, not for every mod.

Spazzo said:
Hehe, I remember ST218 making something like this two years ago or so, back when himself and FF were the only two superior hosts in all the community. It never really ended up being used, we just quarreled over messages, and that was that. There really wasn't a need to formalize gametype selection (given that this was 2 years ago, where you could count the netgaming community on two hands). This may have changed now, but I'm still not convinced that this serves any practical purpose, when you can substitute it for plain ol' text that takes half the time.

It looks really gorgeous, on the plus side. I'd love to see you put this artistic style into a match or SP map.

Level making contest: Feb - Mar
I dunno, no custom textures; I guess I'll rerelease the wads I put into the contest with added sexyness. On the topic of practicality, I'm not exactly sure if it's practical or not, but it's been a blast to make, so might as well complete it, and hey, you never know; I could turn this into a level pack easily. All I have to do is spend time making levels, and fuse them with this, thus creating a mini-mod (considering I'm already using custom sounds/music/graphics/textures). Hopefully that will happen (and I'm looking forward to it happening too; here's hoping) but I still have real life and school to worry about, so I'm not making maps at a particularly fast rate. Thanks for the comments though!

Looks nice, Ash.

When this gets finished, I would like to play this map. Oh, and here's a question:

For the CTF players In this community, are you going to add a CTF area for this map?

Ash said:
The only problem with that, is that there's no way to check whether or not any of those level packs are added. That's why there's a hub for every gametype, not for every mod.

Actually, set NEXTLEVEL in the header to the map that the hub is already in. If a custom exit doesn't exist, it'll warp back to the the hub.

Wait, can you explain? This map is supported in all gametypes to allow you to go to the voting area at any time without -force. But please run that by me again; how do I set a custom exit to just go to the next level that supports it? If you could tell me that, and if it works, this will be able to be used with any wads added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back