Thoughts on more co-op related mechanics.

Restless Dipstick

A guy that exists
This is something I think about a lot. For a while, I've felt like Co-op often feels like just going through the campaign in single player, and there just happens to be other players doing the same thing, with the only time it consistently feels like having others with you makes a difference are the boss fights, and Blue Sphere Special Stages. In other words, outside of stuff like shared starposts, or life stealing to avoid a game over, the other players don't really affect one another most of the time, and thus, don't have much of a reason to interact with one another. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but I do think the game would benefit a lot from having more mechanics related to Co-op mode to make it a bit more interesting, and make the players interact with each other more often. Yeah, some characters have stuff specifically for co-op purposes, like Tails being able to carry other players, or how Neo Sonic was given the ability to leave a path behind him that other players can use to speed up in a recent update, but that isn't a very common thing. The large majority of characters aren't given any sorta of way to directly help another player. So, what kinda universal Co-op mechanics do you guys think would be interesting and give more of a reason for players to interact with each other in game, regardless of who they're playing as?

My thoughts on this:
  1. Charging a spin dash next to a character should put them in a spin state and launch them at twice the normal speed
  2. Amy’s Hammer should launch characters that are rolling
  3. Two players spin dashing into each other should make a giant hurtbox (similar to the multiplayer ground pound in the NSMB games)

i think characters should push eachother or stand on their heads, kinda like in tf2 where you can move one of your teamates but still pass truh one another if youre going at a certaing amount of speed.
or maybe a score sistem (diferent from the default one) where you earn points by doing something stylish or helping someone, ej: hitting a boss, killing multiple enemies at once, maybe killing someone but lets not talk about that, helping someone clear a level, etc, and in the end of each level (or at the end of the story mode) theres a scoreboard saying wich person did better, motivating them to do something diferent each time, like killing someone but lets not talk about that
or maybe an ability like trowing away a shield to give it to someone or to grab another shield/to transform super
also not kind of universal but i think there should be an alternative "race" gamemode where a player can sabotage anoter players runs, like, blocking them, hurting them, stealing monitors, etc, and they fail when the players reach the goal at a certain time limit

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back