The Wii update + Wii virtual ARCADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

super

newbe comic artist
Yes this is kind of old news but I haven't seen a topic about it yet so let me explain:
The Wii can now play games straight of an SD card.
You can assess the SD card menu at the bottom of the screen
There are a total of 20 screens
Source: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=12890
And in relation to this news the Wii virtual console have released a new brand of releases, The Wii virtual ARCADE, The Wii will be able to play Arcade games that are saved onto the SD card slot, Proof: http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-wii-virtual-console-arcade-revealed-launched-126259.phtml
This has got me wondering, if we can now play games via the SD cards, does that mean we have a chance of the Sega CD or even Saturn games coming to the Virtual console?
Thoughts?

Playing games off an SD card? I thought they were trying to stop homebrew? =P

The SD card feature was lazily implemented. The Wii Menu just copies a SD card game to the NAND flash memory and deletes it when your done playing. Quick way to wear out your flash memory... It's surprisingly fast to read the files off the SD card though. Sega CD games could have been done by now as Turbografx16-CD games are already on the Shop Channel and are similar in filesize. Sega Saturn is likely to not ever be included because of the difficulty in emulating all 7 or so processors in it at once. I'm looking forward to playing the arcade Space Harrier on the Wii soon though.

Virtual Arcade...

Well, They better rush to the 90's arcade era. I already have Namco Museum.

As for the SD Channel play, I think the Flash drive can survive repeated usage of multiple games, Had it not been built to withstand it, Hard-Core Gamers or VC/Wiiware junkies would have broken it down by now.

superflip96 said:
Virtual Arcade...

Well, They better rush to the 90's arcade era. I already have Namco Museum.

As for the SD Channel play, I think the Flash drive can survive repeated usage of multiple games, Had it not been built to withstand it, Hard-Core Gamers or VC/Wiiware junkies would have broken it down by now.
Flash memory wears down a lot quicker than standard Hard drives. The NAND flash can only be flashed a certain number of times. It's just a scientific fact. I haven't seen any rough estimate for how many cycles the Wii's NAND can use though.

Bigboi said:
I don't see the Simpsons Arcade on there.

I dont see Konami and Fox Studios subsiding again any time soon, And its gonna take Some time to get to the 90's arcade games, As they are starting with 80's classics, Probably in an effort to show young gamers what thier parents played back in the day.

superflip96 said:
Bigboi said:
I don't see the Simpsons Arcade on there.

I dont see Konami and Fox Studios subsiding again any time soon, And its gonna take Some time to get to the 90's arcade games, As they are starting with 80's classics, Probably in an effort to show young gamers what thier parents played back in the day.
Oh really? Sounds fun.... Too bad I don't have internet at home to hook into my Wii and get those games....

And good call, Bigboi. I really miss that classic. Best Simpsons game EVER.
That is the foundation they need to build off of if they want a new successful Simpsons game.

Ah that game was fun, I remember me and my little sis playing it when we were little.
So what Arcade games would you like to see released on the VA?

I got this update two days ago. I tried Zelda for a while. Not much difference. The first thing I said when I saw the notification was "Are they TRYING to help people pirate games?"

Really, this is unnecessary. Copying channels from a storage device is one thing, but playing on a storage device is a bit over the top.

This may lead to getting the Homebrew Channel without needing to crash the Wii.

Questionguy555 said:
Really, this is unnecessary. Copying channels from a storage device is one thing, but playing on a storage device is a bit over the top.
It's there so people who buy lots of VC games, like my best friend, can stick them all on a memory card when he starts running low on space on his Wii.

Furthermore. I don't see how this can lead to a homebrew channel on the SD card, since you need to install the channels to use them, and the new updates always make it harder and harder for unofficial channels to be installed in the first place. And even if you do manage, a Wii update will come and delete it.

And that, my friend, is why I haven't updated my Wii in months.

Whats over the top Questionguy?

An SD card is like a memory card/Hard drive.

Its nothing really different..how could it be bad?

Conic said:
You can copy files to an SD card.

You cannot copy files to the Wii's internal memory.
That's my point, but it doesn't matter anymore. Never mind.

Anyway, I'll Begin, I don't see why SD homebrew isn't possible. By my knowledge of this, (which is very little) the channels aren't shortcuts. They're roms.
And with a SD homebrew, you can prevent updates from finding it by simply removing the SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back