the pc shuts down whenever I play SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, ok. Can you be a little more descriptive?

Does your entire PC just turn off?

Maybe your power supply is going bad.

Ahah, its psycoligical!

You get annoyed with the noise, and your instincts tell you turn off the computer!

...Or your compy just sucks...Yeah..I guess >.>

System specs? Are you using a newer graphics card, processor, and/or lots of RAM? Those can generate heat easily. Also, have you overclocked your GPU/CPU? Doing that will increase temperature, and if overclocked too much, can cause the computer to restart or shut off. This happens when the temerature reaches an unsafe level.

Another thing could be your graphics drivers. Are they up to date? Graphics cards will make the computer restart when they create a fatal error from trying to do a certain operation. I remember when I tried to run 3DMark02 with my crappy GeForce 4 MX card (Which I got rid of, thankfully). After loading the first game test, the computer would always restart.

Chances are your pc has a weak Graphics card. Even weaker than my crappy one. The game crashes because your graphics card isn't powerful enough. Simple.

Uh, no. It's just the power supply going bad.

You'll probably notice your PC shutting off when you play other games, too (especially ones that require a lot of power).

Depending on your PC you should at least have a 450watt power supply on a P4 or AMD XP and maybe a 500watt on newer systems.

fox.dx2 has been around for awhile, which means SRB2 *used* to work...

so no matter what watt rating the power supply is, if it's going bad, it's not going to supply the right amount of juice.

It may not necesarilly be a case of the PSU going on the way out - if your PC actually physically shuts down (and more specifically - won't turn back on), that's also a good sign that your processor is overheating. The best way to diagnose this is to download something like CpuCooL (do a quick Google search for it, I can never remember the URL). The warning signs you're looking for are if your CPU is over about 72/75C if it's a P4 and... about 90C? for Athlons. Either way, have this open and a windowed copy of SRB2 or some other game/program that's CPU intensive and see what temperature it gets to. If it's going above those figures, then here's the solution:

- Crack open the side of your PC case and have a look at the CPU fan - if it's actually stopped moving or is moving slower, this is your problem.
- Sometimes, this is due to a thick layer of dust or a stray power cable getting caught in the CPU. 3 minutes with a tissue should get some of the worst of it off.
- If that fails, or if there's nothing that looks like it could be concievably obstructing it, then you'll need a new heatsink. I've heard good things about Arctic Cooling heatsinks, so this may only be a case of paying $25 to fix it.
- If the new heatsink fails (and you've seated it / applied thermal paste correctly), it may well be your CPU chip that's buggered. With any luck, it won't come to this. ;)

Of course, your PSU may still be to blame, but the only way you'll find out is if run CPUCooL - if the temperatures are fine, your PSU is probably knackered. Does this happen in other games/intensive programs? Keep us posted.

--
Johnny

I was giving him a good rating for a new PSU if it comes to that SSN. Oh and I think Johnny really summed thing up.

It turns itself off. It doesn't happen in any other 2d or 3d games either.

I used to stay on srb2 for hours before this happened. I also have a crappy Geforce 4 card which sucks with opengl.

I also can't open the computer since it's my dad's pc. The pc has at least 5 or 6 fans inserted.

That program doesn't run because of no DOS. Also, 1.09.2 was the problem the whole time.

1.09.3 made the pc run faster again.

fox.dx2 said:
That program doesn't run because of no DOS.
1.09.3 made the pc run faster again.

Edit: found the real problem; the NB fan isn't in the pc, and also what is an Nb fan?

This sounds like it's a reference to the 'Motherboard' fan (MB Fan), but some genius made a typo on the labelling of this variable (quite common, considering that many of these motherboards and their software are manufactured in the far East). Motherboard chipsets don't always require a fan, particularly on older models, which can be cooled with a simple aluminium heatsink, so if you know your computer is about 3-4 years old, it's pretty safe that'd you be in this latter category.

If SRB2 is definitely the only game that's causing trouble, then that's a bizarre new bug that we should look into! If you've tried stress-testing your PC - easiest way to do this for your graphics card and/or PSU is to run a version of 3DMark(01/03/05/06) repeatedely for an hour or two or until your PC switches off. To test your CPU, do a Google search for a program called 'Prime95' and run a 'Torture Test' and leave your PC for an hour or two. If it passes these, then SRB2 may well somehow be to blame.

--
Johnny

We just got a new pc yesterday so there will probably be no problems with SRB2. *using new pc*

edit: SRB2 runs so fast on here, it outdid opengl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back