• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The level that's been made countless times(s_ghz.wad).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

Ugh, this has been made countless times, but I had nothing else to do, and after paining myself to re-port this over to 2.0.x, i decided to revamp it and give it another go.
I will continuously update this wad, but since it is not entirely complete(grass patterns have not been made, 2d path 5% done, not to mention I don't even have a 2nd act(or 3rd, for that matter) done), it'd going in editing for now. When I feel it's complete enough to release, I'll send it into submissions.

This wad is absolutely filled with secrets(considering it's size), so explore and find all of them! I also provided a speedrun panel showing the top score. If you happen to pass my time, feel free to post and let me know that you've passed it, with the time you set(must provide screencap).

WAT? YOU SAY PICS OR IT DOESNT EXIST? OK.

The beginning of the level. Maybe there's a secret or two here?
2rpdv9x.png

If you look closely, there's a bridge behind us. Hmm, I wonder..
2hs2nip.png

This is where the 2d/3d branch comes. Choose wether to go along Sonic's classic 2d style path, or a nice 3d stroll through (Mini)Green Hill Zone.
24dopyf.png

Standing on an FOF, looking over at the latter half(yeah, it's shorter than GFZ) of the level.
ifxs13.png

...? What's that? 2 monitors over there? That CAN'T be all there is..
15q5k55.png

A quick underwater path, right before the end sign. There's something HERE, too! ;D
352maut.png

The end sign, and a life monitor right before it for kicks.
11ryqgm.png

What's done of the 2d path. Only 4 platforms so far..this is the last one. ;_;
jzdxs.png

So, yeah. You're gonna need a <link removed> too, dontcha think?

<link removed> for speedrun purposes. Does not contain the thok barriers.
Oh, and before I forget, I'm waiting for you, d00d64!

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'know, I really want to make a constructive criticism of this, but all I can come up with is "goddamn, there is way too much water here for a GHZ remake". Which is a bit ironic seeing as the original didn't have any submergable water at all in the actual level design. If you ask me, there needs to be far less platform hopping and more large landmasses that can actually have some architecture on them.

Also, bear in mind that while levels should at least be designed to be possible with Sonic, try to avoid design that allows Tails and Knux to absolutely rape it without even trying. All too common mistake when it comes to levels like these.

Y'know, I really want to make a constructive criticism of this, but all I can come up with is "goddamn, there is way too much water here for a GHZ remake". Which is a bit ironic seeing as the original didn't have any submergable water at all in the actual level design. If you ask me, there needs to be far less platform hopping and more large landmasses that can actually have some architecture on them.

Also, bear in mind that while levels should at least be designed to be possible with Sonic, try to avoid design that allows Tails and Knux to absolutely rape it without even trying. All too common mistake when it comes to levels like these.

Oof, well in the original 1.09.x version, it had thok barriers that kept Tails and Knux players from hopping from the first platform to the last. They showed up as huge redwalls in 2.0.x though, so I removed them. I can restore them, but you would see a giant square in the middle of the water at certain places.

The 2d section is planned to be much more decorative and larger than the 3d section(ironic, because it should be the exact opposite), however I could just make the 3d path a tad longer with the ideas you gave me. I'll keep working on it, thanks for the input.

Edit: Took the idea into consideration, and restored the thok barriers. An alternate download will be provided without the barriers for speedrun purposes.

Last edited:
This wad is pretty cool! I like how you mix the 3d and 2d screens in it.

BTW WHENZ IT DONZE?

Please do NOT upload wads in editing section. If your wad is in beta, just note that in releases submissions. As long as your wad works in the given gametype then it will be fine in releases.

I'm waiting for you, d00d64!

Aww, now I can't resist a housecall.

Anyways, since Torgo snipped the wad out, I can't play it myself, but from what I see, the level is completely devoid of anything. At all. Nothing interesting, nothing notable. Just flatness and water. Lots and lots of water. It barely even looks like Green Hill. Sure it has the same textures, but Green Hill used the scenery in a way that was interesting and appealing both in terms of appearance and gameplay. What I see so far is that the level has neither of these qualities, and is a "remake" in name only.

This level contains the bare minimum from what I see, and basically, I'm sick and tired of that. Sure, simplicity can be done right, but this level just looks positively boring. Like I said, I lack the wad myself, but some pics can say a lot.

Actually, the game gear version had water you could jump into.

You know what would be awesome? Question blocks you could spin into and bounce off of like a turtle shell.

Please do NOT upload wads in editing section. If your wad is in beta, just note that in releases submissions. As long as your wad works in the given gametype then it will be fine in releases.

Oh, sorry about that! I was never sure how the releases system works. I'll send it in once I work on it more..

Aww, now I can't resist a housecall.

Anyways, since Torgo snipped the wad out, I can't play it myself, but from what I see, the level is completely devoid of anything. At all. Nothing interesting, nothing notable. Just flatness and water. Lots and lots of water. It barely even looks like Green Hill. Sure it has the same textures, but Green Hill used the scenery in a way that was interesting and appealing both in terms of appearance and gameplay. What I see so far is that the level has neither of these qualities, and is a "remake" in name only.

This level contains the bare minimum from what I see, and basically, I'm sick and tired of that. Sure, simplicity can be done right, but this level just looks positively boring. Like I said, I lack the wad myself, but some pics can say a lot.

That being said I have to pretty much scrap the whole thing and start over! Which I don't have a problem with at all. I'll get started on a bigger, and (hopefully) better wad of this. Thanks for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back