the ghost server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuketo uzuchihamaki

I GO BY ICYCOLDLAVA™ NOW
I once went to a server with no one there. the host left his own server and it was still running.There was also a message when I came. How did this happen? OFFTOPIC: I just figured out today that you can figure out what people type when they type small by copying and pasting it into a text document.

First thing: You sure you weren't the host?
Second thing: RLY? WOH I NEVR NEW THAT

It was a dedicated server. Someone else can explain, I've never messed with that kind of thing before.

Also, you can just read small text by pressing the quote button, you know. Much easier, isn't it? >_>

That must've been a 'dedicated' server -- something of a misnomer, that; it just means that the server doesn't get a player. They're designed to work precisely as you described. The message that is sent to a user when he joins is set with the MOTD command (and is not limited to dedicated servers).

sasuketo uzuchihamaki said:
There was also a message when I came. How did this happen?

Easy!

The host used the "MOTD" thing. (message of the day) It sends a message to players upon joining. To set one, type in "MOTD <message here>."

Actually -dedicated does work, you were just doing it wrong.

As for leaving the server, it's actually quite obvious once you have a dedicated server going.

Not the console. The command line.

There are 3 ways to add command line commands to a program.

1: The easiest. Requires the official SRB2 launcher.
In 'Main Options', there's a 'Manual Parameters' box. Put in -dedicated.

2: For when you don't have the SRB2 launcher.
Create a TXT file. Write in it "srb2win.exe -dedicated", and change the file extension to .bat. Double-click it.

3: The hardest.
Open up the Start menu, and click 'Run'.
Enter 'cmd.exe'.
You'll get a little black box that says
Code:
Blah blah Microsoft XP ect.

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputerName>
Type in 'cd', and the path to your SRB2 directory, then press Enter. Like, I would enter
Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\PFG\Desktop\Game stuff\SRB2
Apon pressing enter, it'll look like this.
Code:
Blah blah Microsoft XP ect.

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputerName>cd C:\Documents and Settings\PFG\Desktop\Game stuff\SRB2

C:\Documents and Settings\PFG\Desktop\Game stuff\SRB2>
Type in 'srb2win.exe -dedicated'.
I think there's more to running a dedicated game than this. If you want the server to be advertised, you might have to add another -command, but I don't know what that is.

When you run a dedicated server, you can't play, or see what is going on in the game. You will only have access to the ingame console. So it is not ideal if you wish to participate in your own game.
However, dedicated servers use a lot less of the host's CPU, since graphics are not rendered, and such. So they allow the hoster to continue to do other things while hosting. So it's best if you wish to host without participating in your game.
Note that performing some actions on your computer (E.G. Browsing the internet or playing another game) will cause noticable lag within the SRB2 netgame for players.

And that's all I know of the subject.

-internetserver is what you need to enter to advertise on the Master Server.

In addition, it should be noted that the game starts up in some wierd NULL map, which is a giant HOM with the words GAME OVER. So you'll need to change maps once.

Does SRB2JTE crash for anyone else when attempting to host a dedicated server there? <.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back