The filenames of the sound for when your feet touch the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDeLaAxel

FM Synthesized
You know... kinda like Walking footstep sounds.. I checked the wiki, but the names of them don't seem to be in there, for I wanted to add the sound of footsteps to my wad.

Hint: Think Sonic R

Didn't one of the old SRB2 trailers had footstep sounds when Sonic crossed the bridge in GFZ? Were they actually coming from the game, or was it added in to the movie?

They were coming from the game. In Doom, there were footstep sounds for certain surfaces, such as wood. Those were removed from SRB2 around the time that ancient trailer was made, if I recall.

Theoretically, you could edit the source code so that the player makes a noise whenever it enters a "touching the ground" frame. But quite frankly, the devs have enough on their plate already.

They were coming from the game. In Doom, there were footstep sounds for certain surfaces, such as wood. Those were removed from SRB2 around the time that ancient trailer was made, if I recall.

This could be back, not as standard behavior in SRB2, but as an optional feature for character/level design. For instance, taunt "slots" exist, they're not used, but they're there for character modders.

Well, the problem is that it doesn't act right. It was coded and designed for Doom, for the purposes of generating sound so monsters and other players could hear you walking there. It isn't designed for a hedgehog who moves so fast that the SFX would end up repeating so often they'd cut each other off.

Yea, you're right. This is a technical fact.

But, wait, and when the character runs on shallow water?

That's a good point. The code might actually still be there for the purposes of shallow water running.

Do we even want to have footstep sounds back? Running up from behind without jumping or shooting pretty much encompasses the stealth aspect of match in SRB2; if that's no longer a silent approach, it's kinda boned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back