The Ear Worm Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I do have an earworm. Golden Brown by The Stranglers (not Youtube because, as you know, German Youtube blocks copyrighted material). Although it's been in my head constantly for three days now, I haven't grown tired of it. So no, it's not the annoying kind of earworm. It's just a really, really, really good song. I refuse to listen to the rest of their discography, because I know it's nothing like this.

EDIT:
Oh! Darling by The Beatles is stuck up in my head, though I could say that basically the entirety of Abbey Road is stuck up there. Most possibly the best album there ever was.
THANK YOU! Thanks to you, I've listened to the Beatles again, and this time, everything clicked. I'm hooked.

Last edited:
Some of the most common themes to spring to mind are Nostalgic Blood of the East - Old World or Chistina Vee's dub of Bad Apple!! the latter has the distinct advantage that I can sing pieces to it, except that they tend to get jumbled up (due to the fact that the video has excellent progression whereas the song just doesn't have it at all).

Lullaby of a Deserted Hell has a theme that tends to not leave once I recall it, as does Witches' Ball. A few of the MLP songs tend to be earworms as well, but Luna moreso than any of the songs from the show.

At the 74th Academy Awards Ceremony in 2002, John Williams presented an medley of sorts of various famous movie themes.

It is the absolute definition of musical amazement. And I can't stop listening to it.

Seriously when the theme from The Natural came up, I couldn't take the nostalgia overload anymore.

The video's author comments has the full list of all the themes in order.

Hi, it's me again. This morning, I woke up with a song in my head that I heard millions of times on the radio but that I never knew the name of. It's one of those 4-5 songs where I always wanted to find ou the name, but I always forgot about it. But today, I actually had the song stuck in my head long enough to think about it and type the few pieces of the lyrics I could remember into Google.

It wound up being Kayleigh by Marillion. With the accompanying music video for maximum schmaltz effect.

This song is one of those singles that were big in the UK and Europe but were virtually ignored overseas. In other words, it has become a 80s staple on mainstream radio over here while most of you American folks have probably never heard of it. Yeah, it's very cheesy and sits uncomfortably between oversized stadium rock, synth pop and new wave, but that's the Eighties for ya! The lyrics even begin with "Do you remember chalk hearts melting on the playground wall". Hilarious. I'd probably hate it if the radio hadn't made it part of my childhood. Anyway, it's now stuck in my head, presumably for the next few weeks.

Interestingly, one of the 4-5 songs I mentioned above that I already discovered is Wind Him Up by Saga, which is another Europe-only hit by a supposed progressive rock band that in reality made bombastic schmaltzy synth rock. Fun times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back