The Big Ol' Character Creation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again, I'd like to use some of this time to talk about the character balance issues I have, suggestions and what not for creating characters in SRB2

I'm working on a Mario skin for SRB2, a real drawn out one, and thought about the things Mario cant do in Sonic land.

Namely, he cant spindash, which in my opinion is a major problem when it comes to level design. I speak about the small crevices you roll under, think of the SA Example level near the end for an example. Someone suggested that I'd have Mario get the ability to slide under items, which is technically rolling, though it could also be Mega Man styled sliding if you think about it. People are going to make levels that force you to go under small crevices. Its a rather unfair balance to those who cant spindash one way or the other. Although it would require a new animation, just cheat it so it doesnt =P The blur that you get from spindashing is enough already.

Other things I'd like to see is for characters to have abilities that Sonic, Tails or Knuckles dont have. Like say, Zim who is already in SRB2 could still glide, but he cant climb walls. Which looks kinda weird for characters that dont climb easily on their own =P

Our other Mario wads, since they use the puncher-type jumping animation Mario uses, can spindash using that for the animation, no problem. For the most part, SRB2 seems to have small crevices like that only for side-routes, such as the one in THZ1 and the secret item rooms in later Mystic Realm stages.

Everyone would love to see new special abilitys, though. What I'd really like is for abilitys to be set like flags, so you can mix and match what you want. This would also make 0 be "no abilitys", which is very much needed, as any invalid ability number you use may one day be made valid, screwing up your character wad (If it hadn't been screwed up already due to player sprite additions...)

Think about it.
1 = Spindash
2 = Thok
4 = Fly
8 = Glide
16 = Climb
32 = Slide
64 = Wall jump
etc. etc. etc.

The only problem with that would be how to determine what to do if a player can both Fly and Glide or some other odd combination. Though you could get some nice results, allowing you to make characters that can thok and climb, meaning you can thok into a wall to start climbing up it or something. Hehe...

You can already disable spindashing for a character. Look at Zim.

I would've said that, SSN, but he wasn't saying that he wanted to disable spindashing, he said he DIDN'T want to disable spindashing because it would lead to Mario users being at a disadvantage.

Remember that Spindash != Rolling. He wants Mario to slide (using the rolling ability), but he doesn't want Mario spindashing. There is a big problem now.

Perhaps you can contrive something interesting out of this fact:

If the player is in an area where the ceiling suddenly falls to less than his standing height, but it is still bigger than his spinning height, he will go into an automatic spin.

A good demonstration of this can be Egg Palace, where you can 'jump' into some cracks in the wall and instantly spin, as well as using "God" and running under the THZ2 crushers.

That's very interesting. It could be made to where the ground is slowly making it's way to the ceiling (Or visa versa) and just as Sonic (Or anyone else) is about to leave the area, they would go into a spin to save themselves and escape just as the ground comes in contact with the ceiling. (Or again, visa versa.) Map designers could make cool climaxes with that fact.

I'd like it if the character can at least roll on the ground. Switch them to a Sonic 1 mode or something. I cant even get Zim under the underpath in SA Example Zone. Sure, he could climb up, but what about characters that cant move up by themselves?

Its like giving Duffman force powers in Star Wars - Jedi Outcast. Although thats the main point about the game, you might as well as cheat it.

Bartman3010 said:
I'd like it if the character can at least roll on
the ground. Switch them to a Sonic 1 mode or something.
To the 1.1 suggestions thread!

Bartman3010 said:

You can already do that by pressing the spin button while running <_<

Shuffle said:
Bartman3010 said:

You can already do that by pressing the spin button while running <_<

Shuffle, you missed the point entirely. He wants to disable spindashing but not spinning on the ground altogether.

Jason the Echidna said:
1 = Spin
2 = Spindash
4 = Thok
8 = Fly
16 = Glide
32 = Climb
64 = Slide
128 = Homing attack
etc. etc. etc.
Okay, revised. >_>' It's still better to have them as flags, if only for the REMOTE POSSIBILITY of uniqueness.

yeah, that's my problem with Shadow, I wanna make him more unique instead of just being Sonic, like, I wanted him to have haoming, then I found out it was set by the levels instead of characters :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back