Resource icon

[Open Assets] Task Manager for Lua modders 1.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

tep06

Member
tep06 submitted a new resource:

Task Manager for Lua modders - Small task/event manager.

What is this exactly ?
To put it very simply: it's a tool that follows the same logic as SRB2's hooks. In SRB2, you can add a function to a hook, but you can't easily remove it or "read" what's inside. TaskManager allows you to add functions (tasks) to an event, but also to unregister them whenever you want. It’s like a more flexible, readable, and reversible version of the standard hook system.

Why did I make this ?
Initially, I just wanted to organize the code for a custom character I'm making. I had so much logic to handle that I wanted a clean way to separate every ability into its own file. But I got so focused on building this library that I almost forgot my main goal! So, here we are.

How to start ?
Everything is included in the FullPack (zip) file (Core, Example, Defs, and Docs).
I also left the Core script as a separate download for a quick drop-in.

Read more about this resource...
 
Last edited:
tep06 submitted a new resource:

Task Manager for Lua modders - Small task/event manager (drop-in core, full file has example and documentation).



Read more about this resource...
Welcome to releases! You may want to provide a warning about multiplayer, however; since the script doesn't seem to be netsafe, serious problems could result when using it online. (LJ provided a suggestion on how it could be made more netgame friendly. If you need more specific help, you can ask LJ (ladmdr) in the SRB2 Official Server about it.)
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-08-17 180526.png
    Screenshot 2025-08-17 180526.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 159
Welcome to releases! You may want to provide a warning about multiplayer, however; since the script doesn't seem to be netsafe, serious problems could result when using it online. (LJ provided a suggestion on how it could be made more netgame friendly. If you need more specific help, you can ask LJ (ladmdr) in the SRB2 Official Server about it.)
Got it, I'll try fixing the issue asap. Thanks for the help!
 
tep06 updated Task Manager for Lua modders with a new update entry:

v1.1: Huge Update

An update that took a long time to arrive... I actually fixed the synchronization issues a week after v1.0 came out, thanks to the feedback I got. But then, life happened: a wave of personal problems and burnout. I’m just happy I finally found the strength to post this.

I haven't stopped working on it, though. I’ve overhauled the library to make it as clear and "final" as possible.
Everything is included in the FullPack (zip) file (Core, Example, Defs, and Docs).
I also left...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
Last edited:
Quite useful! Honestly, letting the system rest instead of constantly counting down every frame works really well. It also reduces the load on the network, preventing constant desynchronization if the game crashes, even for just a second, and becomes out of sync with everyone else.
 

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back
Top